The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: SLOWBattus today  (Read 2997 times)

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
SLOWBattus today
« on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Beautiful day, very little wind, 16-20 inches of ice, lots of snow drifts
6 flags two small pike but on a good note, I removed a bunch of 4x4 wood blocks, 30 feet of white rope and 4 foot wood planks some "sportsman" left on the Pond.
I left all this at the boat ramp next to someone's shack in case they want it.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: SLOWBattus today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:14 PM »
Good job on the clean up, too bad there are the few that make the rest of us look bad.

How much snow on the lake and any slush?
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2017, 06:22 PM »
No slush, drifts were varied, good workout though

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:16 PM »
Glad to hear you made it out Steve. Lakes are rather crappy if your walking right now
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2017, 04:57 AM »

So you took it off the lake, which is a good thing, but then left it at the boat launch? Seems like you could be nearly as bad as the original litterer.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2017, 07:00 AM »
So you took it off the lake, which is a good thing, but then left it at the boat launch? Seems like you could be nearly as bad as the original litterer.

He still did the right thing of getting it off the ice and avoiding floating debris for open water boats. If no one takes it away, the town will. Perhaps he was in a car and didn't have room. He wasn't obligated to do
what he did. No criticism needed here.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2017, 07:35 AM »
He still did the right thing of getting it off the ice and avoiding floating debris for open water boats. If no one takes it away, the town will. Perhaps he was in a car and didn't have room. He wasn't obligated to do

X2

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Well said, MG39. Some people don't have an easy way to dispose of scrap lumber. Residential trash pickup may not accept it. There can be several good reasons why he chose not to haul it away. Now it's in a neat pile so it can easily be picked up.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2017, 08:52 AM »
I think it's great taking it away, no arguments there 100% agree. But in my opinion, just an opinion, I know everyone has one, leaving something for someone else to pick up is nearly as bad as leaving it on the ice. Still makes ice fishermen look bad. So anyone can fish all day and just leave their trash on the launch? Someone sight seeing pulls down to the launch, bunch of junk there, "Must be the ice fishermen, aughta shut the lake down to ice fishing if they're going to leave a mess like that." What about the poor soul that got it left by his shack at the launch? Is it his responsibility now? I could be off base here , maybe he knows the guy left it there. In that case the warden should have been called. When I pick up something someone has left anywhere, I consider it my responsibility to make sure it gets disposed of properly. If you don't, you're littering too.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Just another example of the disrespect that has been shown at this lake. Start with the waste of fish resource that is left on the ice. It would not surprise me if the town implements restrictions. Probably the most fished and most disrespected body of water during the Ice fishing season.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Just another example of the disrespect that has been shown at this lake. Start with the waste of fish resource that is left on the ice. It would not surprise me if the town implements restrictions. Probably the most fished and most disrespected body of water during the Ice fishing season.
And unfortunately more than 75% of anglers are from away. Not flatlanders, but residents of neighboring towns and even people who travel 50-75 miles to fish it. Ruin it for the people who are truly local. Steve did right Imo for removing the debris from the ice. Placing it next to someone's shack so be it. If you've ever pulled a shack after a winter like this you're lucky if you remember exactly what wood chucks were laying next to the damn thing.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2017, 11:23 AM »
I think it's great taking it away, no arguments there 100% agree. But in my opinion, just an opinion, I know everyone has one, leaving something for someone else to pick up is nearly as bad as leaving it on the ice. Still makes ice fishermen look bad. So anyone can fish all day and just leave their trash on the launch? Someone sight seeing pulls down to the launch, bunch of junk there, "Must be the ice fishermen, aughta shut the lake down to ice fishing if they're going to leave a mess like that." What about the poor soul that got it left by his shack at the launch? Is it his responsibility now? I could be off base here , maybe he knows the guy left it there. In that case the warden should have been called. When I pick up something someone has left anywhere, I consider it my responsibility to make sure it gets disposed of properly. If you don't, you're littering too.

By your logic he should have left it on the ice.

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Its disgusting the way this place is treated.... Would love to see the town shut down all derbies there......
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Its disgusting the way this place is treated.... Would love to see the town shut down all derbies there......

X2
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2017, 02:57 PM »

Feel free to go up there and get it if you feel that  strongly about it

Offline Ohiocatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always a bigger fish
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Beautiful day, very little wind, 16-20 inches of ice, lots of snow drifts
6 flags two small pike but on a good note, I removed a bunch of 4x4 wood blocks, 30 feet of white rope and 4 foot wood planks some "sportsman" left on the Pond.

Ya done good.

Offline StevenB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2017, 12:25 AM »
I left the blocks in a neat pile and the rope on that. It wasn't small splintered pieces, something someone with an I ice shack will use next winter. If I had a shack, I would have kept the blocks. The trash I did not first report was a couple DD cups left in the snow, those went directly in the trash can located in the parking area.
I was only hoping my report of picking up someone else's trash might encourage other sportsmen/women to do the same rather than looking away and complaining about it.
Steve

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Good job on the clean up. The haters are going to hate!

Offline pin-seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Active Icehole tour member
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2017, 02:51 PM »
"75% are out of towners"

Lovely how you point a finger at the out of towners and then make up an absurd percentage with no knowledge-base of you accusation. The stupidity usually starts with the person who makes the stupid comment.

We pay to fish on that lake too (even more when we purchase an out of state annual license)

neil

Turny director for Joe B. Derby on Quinsig

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2017, 03:46 PM »
"75% are out of towners"

Lovely how you point a finger at the out of towners and then make up an absurd percentage with no knowledge-base of you accusation. The stupidity usually starts with the person who makes the stupid comment.

We pay to fish on that lake too (even more when we purchase an out of state annual license)

neil

. The license is for fishing not littering !

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:02 PM »
"75% are out of towners"

neil
And your from out of town Neil? Just goes to solidify my point. Yes you pay for a license. But that fee is supposedly for the management of the resource. Not picking up after lazy slobs.

Offline FJ40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2017, 05:37 PM »

neil

I'm not going to wade into the residents vs. out-of-staters debate, but I do want to point out that "resident" Maine license holders likely pay Maine property taxes and other taxes that out-of-staters do not. These taxes are used to help fund road maintenance, firefighter and police services, emergency (EMT) services, game warden salaries, and a host of other essentials that benefit out-of-staters when they are visiting. If you look at the difference in cost -- $25.00 resident vs. $64.00 non-resident -- I'd say that's a pretty good deal for you.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2017, 04:50 AM »
By your logic he should have left it on the ice.

Not really, but by your logic it's ok for me to pick up some trash down the road and leave it in front of your house.

Great job getting it off the ice, no one wants to hit that stuff with their boat.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:33 AM »
Not really, but by your logic it's ok for me to pick up some trash down the road and leave it in front of your house.

Someone else already does that, with my approval. One of the summer residents on my road walks three miles for exercise a few times a week. She picks up trash on her walks. I offered her a place to drop it off so she wouldn't have to carry it the last mile home.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2017, 07:31 AM »
Someone else already does that, with my approval. One of the summer residents on my road walks three miles for exercise a few times a week. She picks up trash on her walks. I offered her a place to drop it off so she wouldn't have to carry it the last mile home.
That's awfully nice of you. Bet she is glad to call you neighbor

Offline pin-seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Active Icehole tour member
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2017, 02:52 PM »
"I'm not going to wade into the residents vs. out-of-staters debate, but I do want to point out that "resident" Maine license holders likely pay Maine property taxes and other taxes that out-of-staters do not. These taxes are used to help fund road maintenance, firefighter and police services, emergency (EMT) services, game warden salaries, and a host of other essentials that benefit out-of-staters when they are visiting. If you look at the difference in cost -- $25.00 resident vs. $64.00 non-resident -- I'd say that's a pretty good deal for you."

.....ya, we all pay that tax in the state we live....doesn't apply to what I'm saying

my point is that saying 75% of people who leave trash on/at Sabby are non-Mainers,  is a made-up/ridiculous number.   

Turny director for Joe B. Derby on Quinsig

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2017, 04:04 PM »

my point is that saying 75% of people who leave trash on/at Sabby are non-Mainers,  is a made-up/ridiculous number.
[/quote]

I'll bet more than I can afford to lose that the lumber and rope that started this conversation was left by a Mainer. Not many out of staters set their fishing shacks on Maine ponds.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2017, 06:50 PM »

I'll bet more than I can afford to lose that the lumber and rope that started this conversation was left by a Mainer. Not many out of staters set their fishing shacks on Maine ponds.
When I said 75% of non residents I guess I should have clarified with, people who don't live within 10 miles of the lake. 

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:07 AM »
And unfortunately more than 75% of anglers are from away. Not flatlanders, but residents of neighboring towns and even people who travel 50-75 miles to fish it.

You did say that.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2017, 10:10 PM »
You did say that.
Cant deny that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.