Author Topic: Pigeon quick trip  (Read 1340 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pigeon quick trip
« on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:11 PM »
Snuck out to Pigeon this morning to continue the hunt for whites.  Got there a bit later than I wanted and got setup.  Didn't see anything and didn't mark anything till just after 9 a.m.  Had some marks but nothing quick that would show itself so I figured must be walleye.  Around 9:20 I had something move off the bottom quick and looked down to see a big white just cruise by the hook.  5 minutes later, repeat but this one took a swipe before taking off.  Didn't see anything for a while and by 15 to 10 I started thinking about packing up since I had other stuff to do.  Another image shows on the bottom and quickly moves up.  Look down and see a huge white come in and swipe and miss.  Does a turn, out of view. and comes in and nails it.  Fish on!   I decided to let this one play itself out.  Had some good long runs.  Then I started reeling up the JawJacker as I didn't want to tangle.  Thought I did all the way up. Got the fish closer and could see it was a tank!  It circled and shortly after what to I see...my JJ hook go by...sigh.   Shortly after the lines got entangled and messy.  I free spooled the JJ reel and kept fighting.  Finally there was no more I could do to reel since the lines were so tangled.  Time to hand bomb it in... I'm amazed it stayed on as a tried to figure which line was which and then finally felt the real weight of this fish.  Impressive!  It took a huge run and all the line left my hand and then tightened up on the rod and the rod started heading for the hole.  Grabbed it but now the line is still wrapped and super tight. Figured this was going to break off ....felt like it...but it didn't.  Some great pulls later I finally get the fish in the hole and slowly get it up and dive in behind it and pull it out.  Success!!!!

Lines were a total mess. lost about 20 feet on the main rod and about 30 yards on the JJ.

White weighed in at exactly 6 lbs and 25 inches in length.  Close to personal best.  I'm still amazing I got through all that to land it.

Pics:

So much fun, and luck!

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pigeon quick trip
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2017, 08:51 AM »
Great read SNAPFisher!  And the result a beauty Whitie!!!

Congrats on perseverance. Can't wait till I head up your way next year and give Pigeon and a few others a shot,

bobby
"Is anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2017, 12:31 PM »
Great read SNAPFisher!  And the result a beauty Whitie!!!

Congrats on perseverance. Can't wait till I head up your way next year and give Pigeon and a few others a shot,

bobby

That lake kicked my butt last year but the tables have turned...

You live near what is arguably the best white fish lake in the world...not to mention in between the great lakes, and you are looking forwards to coming here?    :o

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:13 PM »
Sick fish Snap! Sounds like a gong show getting it in, but glad you got yourself another piggy!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline marapoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:07 AM »
That lake kicked my butt last year but the tables have turned...

You live near what is arguably the best white fish lake in the world...not to mention in between the great lakes, and you are looking forwards to coming here?    :o

You are correct. Simcoe has produced and will most likely continue. The past 3 or 4 years have been plagued with poor ice and parking issues - leaving many fisherpeople to just give up.
I've put in 30+ years on Simcoe and have really enjoyed it. However it's time to move on to different challenges - my 2 daughters and grandchild in Chilliwack. 
Considering Salmon Arm BC which kinda puts me in easy driving distance to just about anywhere, weather permitting.
Now to figure how I'm going to ship the house contents, my boat, ATV, sled and 2 trailers.............. ......lol
Looking forward to meeting you some day,
bobby
"Is anybody alive out there"
The Boss, Bruce Springsteen

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Cool!  Well I hope the move is good for you and I look forwards to meeting you as well.  Welcome to Alberta when you get here   ;D

Sunday was a windy one.  Get out bright and early though.  First one on the ice.  Pull the cord on the auger...nothing...and nothing....and nothing........sigh.   I think it is actually the switch but I'll get it tuned up anyways.  8 years, no issues before this.

So I head in search of holes and find some.  I jumped around on previous holes and marked fish but nothing.  Waited out there until the stores were open can called around.  Ended up going with another 10 inch.  This one was in the Bargain Cave at Cabelas for $400 - Eskimo Z51.   I really wanted the Z71 but read good things about the 51. 

I travelled around Pigeon on the way back and did some exploring on other places to get on.  And yes, Grandview is locked in with heaves.  Got back out to where I started.  Fire up the auger and it turns over on the 2nd pull.  Cuts like a friggen dream to.  Lighter than my Jiffy and smooooooooth.

Start fishing and I mark a big mark.  It is moving fast and I look down to see a big white inhale the hook.  A real nice fight.  Hand fought the fish for about 5 of the 7 minutes.   Got it in and landed.  A nice fat 5 lber!
Way to save the day :)

Offline calgary-john

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 11, 2017, 01:05 AM »
We should get a White trip organized for next year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.