The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island St. Patty's Day report  (Read 1064 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island St. Patty's Day report
« on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:07 PM »
So I got on the ice at 9:30.  I hadn't expected that the access at Tabor Point wouldn't be plowed by now but the bank was higher than my truck so I had to climb in and wade through crotch deep snow but it was a very nice day weatherwise.  There's still a foot of ice in most places but it does vary considerably because some of my holes had only 6 inches.  And when you cut through the water comes gooshing up because of all the weight on the ice and that made for soggy walking; hint: don't push the snow away from your hole.  The water has cleared up a lot, still can't see the bottom but at least you can see your fishing coming up.

The bite was terribly slooooow.  Didn't get a bite all forenoon except for my tip-ups were going same as last time.  Lost one when it spit the hook out at the hole and another one did the jam behind structure act and we fought for quite a while before the hook straightened out and it got away.  Then I got this little guy; looks like the one I let go last week.

The perch bite was peculiar, not usual at all.  After I'd get a perch or two, it would go dead and I expected a pike to bite my jig stick 'cause I wasn't far from my tip-ups and only in about 6 feet of water.  Then I'd get this ferocious bite that almost pulled the jigstick out of my hand but I never hooked one; made me think of white perch but I never saw one, happened a lot around 2:00..  I gave up at 3:00 and came home to make our poor man's shrimp, company coming for supper...

Anyway it was a good day for the weather, expected to see more guys out but not a soul to be seen or heard.  The deep snow will keep the top of the ice from firming up so there will be water to wade through for the foreseeable future.  Wish somebody would plow the access, hint, hint...

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Hog Island St. Patty's Day report
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Sounds like a nice day on the ice. Thanks for the report. Can't wait to hit the ice tomorrow!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Looks like a great day to be out!

I sent you a pm this am

Wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2017, 01:27 AM »
Kinda wishing I went up this weekend...
How much snow was on top of the ice ...
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2017, 04:16 AM »
Looks like a good day on the ice even if the fish didn't cooperate !

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2017, 06:45 AM »
To Woody:  Thanks for the kind words; good thing you mentioned a PM, I don't think of checking that.

Anyway, here's a map.  You're right, I head south off the access, have for many, many years.  I try to get on the contours you can see where it drops off from 1 ft down to 13 ft.  (You can tell I don't mind sharing.)  I think that north of there is mostly weed flats, don't see a lot of guys fishing there.  As for your other questions, the answers are in my original post.  Today's cold may actually firm it up some so hopefully the walking won't be too bad.  There are a few bare spots where the snow blew away so I headed for those, also the ice is thicker in those spots.  In some places, especially nearer to shore where I set my tip-ups, the snow is knee deep and the ice thinner.  Don't forget the sunglasses and sun screen, I got a pretty good burn on my cheeks yesterday and my nose is peeling; but funny thing; it's not on top of my nose but underneath.  Let us know how you do.  Have fun!

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Thanks for the info...... Opted to fish mallets bay since it was a bit closer to home. I have a couple of hooky days to take and may try up there mid week.  I will give you a shout if I do. That has always been an area i have wanted to try.

Maybe we will meet up this year!

Wdy

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.