Author Topic: Northern Winni ice?  (Read 721 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
Northern Winni ice?
« on: Mar 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
     My buddy and I had originally planned on going to Champlain this weekend to target pike but bailed after hearing about lack of ice up there. Does anyone know how conditions around Moultonborough are? Specifically states landing or off Long Island....or any other bodies of water in the area that we might be able to get into some whites? I'm sure the snow situation isn't good and since we would be on foot we probably wouldn't venture far, and would def be spudding and checking as we go. Appreciate any info fellas :tipup: :tipup:

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Northern Winni ice?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2017, 06:56 PM »
Plenty of ice in the states area and south of there. Not sure how the snow affected the area but the news has been saying there were roads in the area closed to a lot of downed trees from the storm. I believe some are still without power. The ice before the storm was solid 14" +, probably going to be a little soggy under the snow.

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2017, 07:02 PM »
Plenty of ice in the states area and south of there. Not sure how the snow affected the area but the news has been saying there were roads in the area closed to a lot of downed trees from the storm. I believe some are still without power. The ice before the storm was solid 14" +, probably going to be a little soggy under the snow.

Thanks for the info, I figured slush might be an issue.

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2017, 11:34 PM »
I was out last weekend off of Orton Lane in Moultonboro Bay and we had about the same 14" mentioned.  That said, there was open water / new ice close to shore just off to the right by shore which was easy to avoid when you could see it, but with the new snowfall you'll want to spud for sure if your trying some place new to you close to shore.  It wasn't clearly from a circulator....so guess I'm just saying like everyone else take your time...and good luck.

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2017, 11:54 PM »
meant to mention that you definitely want to be up in the bay versus anything to do with long island if you're not familiar with how the ice has been this year in exact spots

Offline kaptainpowder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:26 AM »
I fished Levitts Park on Tuesday during the stom and yesterday as well,  ice was a solid 16in plus, no slush issues but the snow cover made it tough walking. From Levitts  I could see across to  2 mile island and Black Cat island on   Moultonborough side and its all still iced in. A couple snowmobiles were cruising back and forth from Leavittss to Beaver Island

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:17 AM »

I was on 20 Mile Bay on Monday before the storm... there was plenty of ice (15 plus black and snow ice on top) but this was before the store.

There was a lot of ice that looked like floating chunks of ice had re-frozen together.  Open water out at on of the points along the shore as you exit the bay.

As mentioned by others, snow changes things... check often as you go... and good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.