The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Montana SB 206  (Read 2442 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Montana SB 206
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:03 PM »
I don't know about you you guys, but I have always enjoyed ice fishing after daylight saving time starts, leaving those tipups out an extra hour in the evening or just trying to jig up another walleye before the sun goes down an hour later.  Even though, to be honest, this has only happened a handful of times during my life. With the early winter nights, this extra hour of daylight is a welcome relief. I also enjoy fishing those late evening mayfly hatches (or trolling for walleye) until 10 pm during the late summer evenings.  Senate Bill 206, introduced by Ryan Osmundson R-Buffalo, which will permanently put the state of Montana on "Montana" standard time year round, will eliminate daylight saving time. That means that during the summer, the sun will rise before 4:30 am and set by 8:30 pm. Not only will this cause much confusion with us being on Mountain Standard time during the winter and Pacific Daylight time during summer (it will also put us 2 hours behind in parts of North Dakota, one hour behind Wyoming and right on time with Idaho, Seattle and Los Angeles for only half a year.) The other half of the year, we will be on time with Wyoming, but a hour ahead of Idaho. See how confusing this is.  Also, along with many other Montanans, I will no longer be able to hunt after work during archery and for the first 10 days of general gun season. That means that many hunters including myself will be limited to hunting on weekends, which will also cause economic impacts. This bill will cause many other problems like scheduling and logistics nightmares with interstate transport.  We need to band together and oppose this guys.  The has gained alot of steam and has made it to house appropriations.  It seems that at that point, word has got out, and now there is increasing opposition. I believe there is a boating and other sportsman organizations against this.  To me, this is as great a threat or greater than Quiet Waters, because it affects all sportsmen across the state.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Montana SB 206
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:42 PM »
I suppose it depends also what side of the state you are on...if you are in Thompson falls..it might not affect you as much as say if you are in glendive..also depends what you do for a living...a  9 to fiver on the east side will have to adjust more than someone 5 to 6 hundred miles to west of them.. you brought up some good points..who knows..but the bottom line is..the sun comes..the sun sets...the fish bite..and they don't.no matter the outcome.. if you are an outdoorsman.. I feel confident.. you will adapt just fine...probs won't happen anyway....

Offline Rainman935

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Sounds like rotten tomatoes to me. I'm definitely apposed. This will surely mess up my ability to fish as often as I do. Lucky for the fish, they don't have clocks.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:55 PM »
You're right Coldcreek, it will have a greater effect in eastern Mt, especially for us 9-5ers.  The fish don't have clocks, but we have to live by them if we work for someone else.  One lady in support of the bill said to "just go to work one hour early." We're not all self employed though.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:08 PM »
You're right Coldcreek, it will have a greater effect in eastern Mt, especially for us 9-5ers.  The fish don't have clocks, but we have to live by them if we work for someone else.  One lady in support of the bill said to "just go to work one hour early." We're not all self employed though.
totally get it...also..great post gator...these transition times between seasons could use more thought provoking issues such as these...

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Thanks Chris, I just want to get the word out so more people become aware of this.  Maybe people on this site can contact their local reps, or at least follow what is going on.

Offline Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2017, 08:15 AM »
I personally hate daylight savings time and think we should be like Arizona and get rid of it. 

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2017, 05:14 PM »
I personally hate daylight savings time and think we should be like Arizona and get rid of it.
And lose an hour of fishing?

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:39 PM »
I agree...but we are in the western part of it...guess you could ask those folks on the AZ ..NM..TX.. area.. I would assume..its similar to eastern montana/ Dakota.. a 2 hr swing would be intense...along the border of the time change....but I think we would adapt..once again..the sun comes up..and the sun sets....the fishing and hunting doesn't change...no matter what time ya get off work..or go to work in the morning...

Offline OTTOCAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:32 PM »
Sorry  ccc, but YES IT DOES,,,,   Think about it...

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2017, 10:07 AM »
I agree otto...my response last night was from just one perspective and influenced by st patty's day..as proven by including texas as a four corner state.. :P..as someone who works outside and sets his own hrs..i'm kinda leaning toward..just keep er the same time yr round..but because of this post I am learning that it will affect people..just was curious , at say, lake powell.. how does it affect in AZ and UT for example..do they hate it? or do people in UT hate it more than AZ? or is it something that people have adapted to?

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2017, 11:31 AM »
I actually enjoy the longer evenings and the fishing benefits. Morning daylight comes early enough with the time change.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:12 PM »
I do too Papa John, can you imagine the sun coming up before 4:00 AM?  How are the farmers going to like that? Honestly, I thought this topic would have generated more interest. Either people have already made the migration over to MFF, or people really don't care about losing an hour of fishing everyday.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:13 PM »
I do too Papa John, can you imagine the sun coming up before 4:00 AM?  How are the farmers going to like that? Honestly, I thought this topic would have generated more interest. Either people have already made the migration over to MFF, or people really don't care about losing an hour of fishing everyday.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:37 PM »
just trying to let ya know..there are a few perspectives out there.......when you have light to fish to darn near 11...it makes for a late night....if I cast my last line at 945..vs 1045..well?...and ...i'll appreciate that extra hr in the morning for chores...

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:38 PM »
I completely agree with you wyogator! If anything, keep daylight saving time year round. That way, I can sleep in a little longer on fishing and hunting days, and stay out later in the day. It's a win-win in my book. If it passes the house hopefully SB 206 will get vetoed. I would hate to be camping somewhere in the summer and have the sun shining on my tent at 4:30-5:00.

Tinker

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2017, 01:24 PM »
And lose an hour of fishing?
I like to think of it as starting my ling fishing an hour earlier ;D

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:29 PM »
That's true ccc, during the middle of June, you could be fishing until 10:00PM.  But, what happens when sunset occurs between 7:00 and 8:00 in September or 6:00 and 7:00 in October? With standard time, it will be between 6:00 and 7:00 in September and 5:00 and 6:00 in October, hardly enough time to fish or hunt after work.  I think Daylight saving time year round would be great. When I talked to my representative though he said there are federal restrictions against it.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2017, 10:56 AM »
Well, SB 206 was tabled with a unanimous house vote.  So, we don't have to worry about losing an hour of fishing, at least for now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.