Author Topic: Hooking shiners tip    (Read 11576 times)

Al- Seymour WI

Hooking shiners tip  
« on: May 02, 2002, 05:12 PM »
hor  Subject: Hooking shiners tip  
Al- Seymour WI  Posted At 19:29:57 07/18/2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next time fishing tipups with shiners for northern, try hooking your shiners farther back by the tail. After a season long test, my fishin partners and I concluded that we lost fewer northern this way vs. the old hook em behind the dorsal fin way. Try it.  

<----BACK         HOME
Chuck  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 13:38:22 08/23/2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also found that in addition to not losing as many pike, hooking them farther back cause the chub, smelt,or minnow to struggle a bit more, and that's gotta be good for the old pike's ego! Good fishing to you.

Nolan Male  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:57:38 10/10/2000
This tip works awesome. When hooking the minnow or other baitfish further back they struggle more and they stay alive longer!!
Gary  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 21:14:19 12/03/2000
tail hooking with a sweedish pimple hast to be the deadlyest rig for just about any fish  
opus  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 18:12:10 12/09/2000
Using two treble hooks on the larger shiners seems to catch more Northern Pike. The stinger hook is hooked through the top lip of the shiner to allow breathing... When the Northern takes the bait and runs you don't have to wait for him to stop and swallow the bait, you can "sting" him right away.  
Allan Butler  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:52:01 12/12/2000
The two treble hooks are a variation of a Quicke Strike Rig, used by the English for many years for their pike fishing. The forward hook is more often placed behind the head of the shiner, but what ever works for you. The second hook(tail hook)does not even have to be snelled on, it can "float" on the line, letting you adjust it to what ever size bait you are using. With this rig I lip hook most fish and when I pick up the line, if I feel a fish 99.9% of the time I hook the fish. I landed a 9.9 lb. Lg. Mouth using this rig that I am sure that I never would have hooked other wise. Tight Lines!  
bobo  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:56:38 12/18/2000
PUT the trouble hook under the backbone, neak the back of the shiner.  
Rick  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:31:17 12/30/2000
Thanks for the in put i needed this. i have been having a hell of a time. i'm on lake st'clair. lot of perch though.  
Tony Stevens  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 01:47:35 12/31/2000
Hey man, thanks for the hooker shining tips.I mean shiner hooking tips. Sorry. I'm gonna have to give the one idea a try and hook it further back on the bait. Thanks and I'll let you's know the outcome.  
Burbot  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 17:33:46 12/31/2000
Hooking farther back means the hook is more likely to grab the tough outer lip when you set the hook. This is really important if you're not using a leader. Less shear offs and a good hold.  
Mace  Lip Rig (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:03:27 01/08/2001
One of the biggest reason hooking the bait in the lip works, is because Pike and Bass usually hit head on, or slightly from the side at the head. I recommend 1 hook in the lip, and one at the tail. Use a 5-8" 18# test steel leader. The leaders are light, but strong.  
Andy O'Malley  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:37:23 01/23/2001
I also use a braided steel leader but with the ones that I use you cannot tie a regular not so I twist it to my trouble hook and then to a swivle connected to my tip up line. I was reluctant to try it but I have caught 10 lb plus Northerns with it.  
Kevin Burns  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 12:22:07 01/28/2001
I hook my minnows just in front of the dorsal fin. This works well for me and my brother. If you want minnow to be more active try sliding sinker up the string a foot.  
Dan In VT  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 11:38:48 01/31/2001
I agree completely with these tips! My first run of the day this past Sun. was on a large pike that never moved when I hit him. I set the hook, he was there, then he was gone. I got the minnow up and the leader was twisted like a pretzel and the hook was now buried in the minnow's gut. It was jerked straight down. If I had hooked it shallower and closer to the tail, instead of the dorsel, I think I would have buried the hook in pike lip instead of minnow belly. Great website! Here's to the hard water! Good luck.  
TW  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 16:53:50 02/02/2001
The treble hook method is great when dead baiting off the bottom...this is a quick strike rig  
jeff WI  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 00:23:34 10/10/2001
Great website!
I use treble hooks when fishing live bait for pike/walleye with tip-ups. I get my share of flags; but I often ask myself "why do I use single hooks in summer and treble hooks in winter?" I would never use a treble hook under a float in summer. Maybe someone outhere can help me. Would I get more flags if I went to a single hook on my tip-ups? And what about colored beads above the leader,is this a secret weapon?
someone please respond

mitch  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:33:15 10/26/2001
I am going to try that and se how it works

Ben  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 19:40:39 12/16/2001
I have found that if you do hook them in tha back be careful about the back bone if you hit it it will paralize the fish and you wont see that untill its under the ice. Causing the fish not to move very much. Carful too about the air pocket (i cant think of the right name) just below the spine. If it gets hit it could cause the minnow to float upside down. but the pocket runs usally right uner the dorsal fin and isent very big. i tr to hook it in the lips or slightly behind the dosal fin and down about 1/8in.  
Greg  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 18:23:49 01/01/2002
I have found that fishing with big shiners about 5 to 6 inches have a great effect on northern pike. Start out by bitting or clipping the tail on the shiners. This gives the shiner a look like its struggling. Set the tip up just below the ice and check them every half an hour. Sit back and watch the gators come to you. And remember a bad day fishing is better then a good day at work.  
Eric18  Re: Hooking shiners tip (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 20:08:19 01/07/2002
I fish Lake Superior in the bays, and am out almost every day. I fish anywhere from 2 feet to 15 feet of water. I was never a big pike fisherman...too many "Y" bones. I usually target walley and perch. I hook a 2 inch shiner through the head with a good sized red or chartruse teardrop. In the depths I fish, my bait is easily visible. Allowing me to put any action on the bait that I want. I jig the shiner rapidly just a few feet below the ice, depending on how deep I am fishing. I make a wiggling motion that creates a lot of flash. Pike seem to cruise near the bottom and attack from beneath, I believe this has something to do with the placement of their eyes. And their ambushing feeding behavior. I can see Every fish that comes through and hits this rig. I have concluded that Pike tend to take my shiner by the tail and sit on the bottom and watch it for a second or two before they rip in and attack it. Are my hypothesis correct?? Has anyone tried this technique?? I have never been out and not caught at least 1 pike on this rig. If anyone has any feedback, or a better method, I am very interested in hearing it.  

Trapper John

Re: Hooking shiners tip  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2002, 03:52 PM »
I have messed with hooking bait in different ways.  What I have found to be is that if hooked toward the tail, the minnow will try to swim down.  If hooked toward the head it will try to swim up.  This has it's use when fishing in and around weeds.

Kirk

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2002, 09:18 AM »
I am not sure if this is true, but you guys using treble hooks with your tip-ups may want to read the regs on use...

Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one
hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered
three hooks and is not legal. The exceptions are: Three artificial flies
may be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

Anyone have a clarification of this? Can you use treble hooks under a tip-up? This is a Minnesota regulation, by the way. It may be different for different states.

Cap'n

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:13 AM »
Kirker,Here in NH the regs say that when using live bait for fishing you can only use single hooks.So trebles are out up here.This also includes the use of salmon eggs for bait.I wish normal thinking people would write the law books instead of lawers whose job it is to confuse us.
Bubba  

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:45 AM »
Trebles are legal in VT. I agree with Smelt1.....The NH law book is almost painful to read.

crappie_hunter

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:56 AM »
legal here in wisconsin

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2002, 11:24 AM »
Smelt1  If you can't use salmon eggs  use velvetta cheese flavored with a little garlic oil or anise oil  I have found this works as well as eggs or power bait  
Good Luck-Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2002, 04:30 PM »
i hook just above the anal fin this makes the shiner swim up and keeps him moveing but they spend a lot of energy and die quick so you gotta check em alot but it brings in the big fish!!

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2002, 02:15 AM »
Flash King,We can use salmon eggs here just not with treble hooks.The cheeze idea sounds good but how do you keep the crackers on? ;D And should I take off the kippers? :D
Bubba  

crappie_hunter

« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2002, 06:01 AM »
flash king what do you use the cheese for salmon-trout?

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2003, 08:18 AM »
great info thanks- :'(

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2003, 01:35 PM »
Since I did not see anyone hooking shiners the way I do , I will attempt to explain the way I do. It is a single hook method that works as a quick strike rig. When the flag goes up, I calmly walk to the set, and if the fish is running, I set the hook. Be prepared to use a lot of hooks if they are small fish and you need to release them, as they are usually hooked deep. Here is how my tip ups are rigged. I use a large saltwater size swivel that also serves as weight. Then i use a #4 snelled hook. Using shiners from 3 to 5"s long I lay them in my left hand palm up, head facing the finger tips, dorsal fin towards the thumb. Use your left thumb to press down on the shiners head which raises the gill flap up. Insert the hook just under the skin at the back of the gill bringing the hook point out towards the dorsal fin. Be careful not to go to deep or touch the gill, as it will cause bleeding and death. The shiner hooked this way will live all day, and will swim on his side in semi-circles. Being that all game fish take their prey head first, you got em. You will notice that the hook will lay flat to the shiners side when being taken by the fish. This works for all fish, but my preferance is walleye. I hope I have explained this in a good manner and that it works for you. It might help to practice this at home a time or two to get the knack of it. Good luck

Ice Troll

Re:Hooking shiners tip  
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2004, 04:19 AM »
Try hooking minnows through there anal vent and out towards there tail. They are hooked upside down and will struggle to right themselves. The minnow will last longer than you think and talk about triggering strikes. The minnow definetely gives off vibrations of food in distress which a predator fish really loves.

Offline Fishkeeper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Hooking shiners tip  
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 08:10 PM »
Quote from: Ice Troll
Try hooking minnows through there anal vent and out towards there tail.
Sheeesh ...doesn't that hurt?....only if your thumb gets in the way!

Offline UPSTATE ICEMASTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Powers Of "FISH ATTRACTANT"
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:07 AM »
  :tipup: I ALWAYS HOOK SHINNERS BEHIND THE DORSAL FIN BECAUSE IN MOST SITUATIONS THE FISH ARE GOING TO TAKE THE SHINNER FROM THE FRONT NOT THE BACK IF YOU HOOK THEM IN THE LIPS AND A FISH BITES IT THEY HAVE THE TENDENCIE TO SPIT IT CAUSE THEY FEEL  THE HOOKS  :tipup:
" JUST TRYIN TO GET HER DONE"

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2005, 09:34 AM »
Me and my dad picked up a tip about how to hook shiners this year, were watching and In-fisherman video.    We fish for Pike/Tiger/pickerel a lot.   It seems to have gotten us more fish this year.    We hook the bait right beside or in front of the dorsal so that the hook point is towards the head and the shank is facing the back.    Just Run the hook along the backbone, if you do not hit it it isn't unusual for the bait to still be alive hours later, if there hasn't been any flag action.    If the bait is dead it seems to keep it horizontal, have caught a few fish on the same bait with hooking them this way.
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.