The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: BILL H-40  (Read 3636 times)

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
BILL H-40
« on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:25 AM »
 Bill H-40 would ban all internal combustion engines an all public waters of Vermont except Lake Champlain,that includes outboard motors and ice augers!Say no to this bill,call 802-828-2228 and say NO! to this new law!

Offline climber2k

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: BILL H-40
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Yeah , except h-40 has nothing to do with internal combustion engines.
Edit: Link to bill h-40
http://www.aeltracker.org/bill-details/7418/vermont-2015-h-40

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:38 AM »
Actually, it does, read your browser more carefully. This was cut and pasted from the VT House website:

BILL AS INTRODUCED H.40
2017 Page 3 of 3
VT LEG #319612 v.1
(g) A person sha 1 ll not use an internal combustion motor on a public water
2 source that is a lake, pond, or reservoir other than Lake Champlain or Lake
3 Memphremagog. The prohibition on the use of internal combustion motors
4 shall include the use of an internal combustion motor to power a vessel and the
5 use of tools powered by internal combustion.
6 Sec. 2. EFFECTIVE DATE
7 This act shall take effect on July 1, 2017.

Amy Sheldon is the sponsor.  Apparently you can still use motors on rivers???  What's next?  And this also means that you can't take your skidoo or 4-wheeler across any body of water other than the two big ones.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:47 AM »
 ??? ::)  I can't believe it even made it out of committee?
Dick

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:23 AM »
We must have ended up with a bunch of treehuggers in Montpelier after the last election.  There are several anti-gun bills roaming around and now this doosy.  Where did these people come from that are supposed to be representing US!?!?

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:25 AM »
To clarify, the bill says "public water source" which is a body of water that provides drinking water for at least 15 households or 25 people. So it's not all of the lakes and ponds in the state. I'm not sure how many bodies of water are classified as such, I did a quick search and Couldn't find it. Maybe you should contact Amy and ask her to list what lakes and ponds would be included.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:53 AM »
A lot of lakes have camps surrounding them that get their water supply from the lake itself. If this bill is put into place, then any lake with 15 camps or more that draw water from the lake will not be able to have Internal combustion motors, from what I understand. But the reason why people chose to live on these bodies of water is usually to be able to use it for recreational purposes. From fishing, to water skiing, to just cruising out to your favorite swimming spot to cool off on a hot summer day. I don't think that a Minn Kota can get a skier out of the water.  :)  While the water may be a little bit cleaner, the purpose of the camp will be taken away and people will begin moving. Just imagine how much more crowded Lake Champlain will be in the middle of August! Hopefully the bill is only referring to a select few small ponds, or we'll be buying  an Ion Ice Auger for next year!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2017, 08:03 AM »
the point is: call the number and say no!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:42 AM »
Called and left a message for Amy.  Need to get the media involved this is insane.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I wonder if any of the waters that would be effected have F & W accesses. they should take the time to list ALL of the waters that would be disqualified by this bill. then more people will know that they would be affected before this goes to vote. I think I will call my rep directly.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:54 AM »
Copied and pasted from her state website:

[email protected] AddressP.O. Box 311, East Middlebury, VT 05740Committees House Committee on Fish, Wildlife and Water Resources
 Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules (LCAR)

BiographyAMY SHELDON of Middlebury, Addison County, was born in Memphis, TN, on July 20, 1966. Representative Sheldon grew up in Summit, NJ, and attended Middlebury College where she received a BA in economics in 1988. She also holds a MS in Natural Resource Planning from the University of Vermont (1996). Sheldon is a consulting Natural Resource Planner and River Scientist at Landslide Natural Resource Planning, Inc. She is also a Senior Faculty member at the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), based in Lander, WY. She is married to Ashar Nelson. Amy served on the Middlebury Planning Commission for ten years, on the District 9 Environmental Board, and on the Board of the Middlebury Area Land Trust before being elected to the Vermont House in 2014. Home phone: 388-9278. Mailing address: PO Box 311, East Middlebury, VT 05740.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2017, 10:23 AM »
That's too far some where in the middle would be better, such as limiting by horsepower restrictions on smaller bodies of water.
Anything to get these darn water skiiers of these bodies of water!
Example Waterbury reservoir,Caspian,crystal etc.......
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:09 AM »
AMY being from e middlebury i am sure dunmore is a big target for this bill. they claim it is about drinking water but champlain is a source of water for many many more people than all the others combined. i think this is more about people from out of state, like AMY, purchasing lakefront homes that want it quiet and dont want people in "their view" or around making noise.  like people running snowmobiles and augers close to their home. they dont do it and they dont want you too either. state lake accesses were created and are paid forby many using it for motorized recreation, not for people to walk their dogs and go kayaking etc. I hope this spells the end politically for AMY and her supporters of this bill. Notices of this should be posted at stores and sites of where people that this will effect will be.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Wait a sec... my mistake....  (edited)

The bill linked above is a different H40 than the one quoted above.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:39 PM »
To Troutcrazy: You may be looking at an earlier version of the legislation; here it is copied and pasted (note the date first read); AND the text pasted is from this H.40 not the one you said.  (You'll notice the bold text, I'm sure)  We've got to be careful when talking about the law.  Some of the bill may have had to be removed in order to get passed at the time but it's baaaack!

H.40

An act relating to the use of internal combustion engines on public water sources

Rep. Amy Sheldon 

House Committee on Natural Resources, Fish and Wildlife

1/12/2017 - Read First Time and Referred to the Committee on Natural Resources, Fish & Wildlife
  Sponsor(s)  Rep. Amy Sheldon
  LocationHouse Committee on Natural Resources, Fish and Wildlife Last Recorded Action House 1/12/2017 - Read First Time and Referred to the Committee on Natural Resources, Fish & Wildlife

BILL AS INTRODUCED H.40
2017 Page 1 of 3
VT LEG #319612 v.1
1 H.40
2 Introduced by Representative Sheldon of Middlebury
3 Referred to Committee on
4 Date:
5 Subject: Conservation and development; public water supply; use of public
6 water sources; internal combustion engines
7 Statement of purpose of bill as introduced: This bill proposes to prohibit the
8 use of an internal combustion motor on a public water source, other than Lake
9 Champlain or Lake Memphremagog, that is a lake, pond, or reservoir.
10 An act relating to the use of internal combustion engines on public water
11 sources
12 It is hereby enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Vermont:
13 Sec. 1. 10 V.S.A. § 1673 is amended to read:
14 § 1673. PROHIBITIONS
15 (a) A person shall not alter, expand, or otherwise modify an existing public
16 water system or public water source without a permit from the secretary
17 Secretary.
18 (b) A person shall not construct a new public water system or public water
19 source or change an existing water system or source into a public water system
20 or public water source without a permit from the secretary Secretary.
BILL AS INTRODUCED H.40
2017 Page 2 of 3
VT LEG #319612 v.1
(c) A person shall 1 not operate a public water system or public water source
2 without a permit from the secretary Secretary.
3 (d) As of July 1, 1993, a person shall not operate a public water system
4 unless the secretary Secretary has certified the person as a public water system
5 operator pursuant to this chapter.
6 (e) A person shall not operate or maintain a public water system or public
7 water source in a manner that causes or allows that system or source to be at
8 risk of damage or contamination.
9 (f) A person shall not sell imported or domestic containerized, bottled, or
10 packaged drinking water in the state State of Vermont unless:
11 (1) the water and the source and system of the imported water is
12 regulated by drinking water standards or requirements substantially equivalent
13 to or more stringent than standards or requirements established by the secretary
14 Secretary pursuant to subsection 1672(b) of this title, and the importer of the
15 water has presented certification of such standards;
16 (2) the water and the source and system of the domestic drinking water
17 meet the standards or requirements established by the secretary Secretary
18 pursuant to subsection 1672(b) of this title; and
19 (3) the name, source, and the location of the bottler of spring, artesian,
20 or municipal water are identified.
BILL AS INTRODUCED H.40
2017 Page 3 of 3
VT LEG #319612 v.1
(g) A person sha 1 ll not use an internal combustion motor on a public water
2 source
that is a lake, pond, or reservoir other than Lake Champlain or Lake
3 Memphremagog. The prohibition on the use of internal combustion motors
4 shall include the use of an internal combustion motor to power a vessel and the
5 use of tools powered by internal combustion.
6 Sec. 2. EFFECTIVE DATE
7 This act shall take effect on July 1, 2017.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Say it ain't so! I'm working on moving to Vermont because of its friendly citizens and rural values : fishing, trapping, hunting, animal husbandry...  My biggest fear is that Vermont will become the next Colorado, i.e., heavily influenced by out-of -staters imposing their urban/suburban values.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Say it ain't so! I'm working on moving to Vermont because of its friendly citizens and rural values : fishing, trapping, hunting, animal husbandry...  My biggest fear is that Vermont will become the next Colorado, i.e., heavily influenced by out-of -staters imposing their urban/suburban values.

Hopefully they don't legalize the pot so it won't be like Colorado.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Capt. Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:31 PM »
A lake or pond used at a public water source is a body of water providing water to group of homes from a single provider. So ponds like Berlin Pond would be banned. Not any lake or pond providing water to private camps. Those are considered private water sources. That is the reason the exempted Lake Champlain and Memphremagog. Those lakes are considered public water sources because town water supplies pull water from them. I bet you will find that all lakes and ponds used as town reservoirs already have motor banned.

Offline pokholes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 15, 2017, 01:37 PM »
Hopefully they don't legalize the pot so it won't be like Colorado.
Should already be legal.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:21 PM »
If its good enough for Willie...

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:29 PM »
Representative Sheldon grew up in Summit, NJ...

Don't Jersey Vermont, Amy!

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2017, 02:48 PM »

Whoah now, animal husbandry? We got 'nuff weird crap going on with all the LBGT folks in B-town we don't need folks marrying animals too!  :o :o

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:31 PM »
All these "people" that move UP here to Vt from other areas (amy), go back to where you came from!  We didn't want you in the first place.  All the hunting areas LOST because of flatlanders posting their property as soon as they move here, and now this??? Goddamn ridiculous.   I'll be calling.

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:33 PM »
"The person you have called is not accepting messages at this time"  Gee, I wonder why

Offline Honest_John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Sounds like the same nimrods that continuously attempt to make all recreation on Berlin Pond illegal! I'm sure Kitzmiller's name is on that bill. CALL YOUR REPS!

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Honest John, you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2017, 05:17 PM »
All these "people" that move UP here to Vt from other areas (amy), go back to where you came from!  We didn't want you in the first place.  All the hunting areas LOST because of flatlanders posting their property as soon as they move here, and now this??? Goddamn ridiculous.   I'll be calling.
All these "people" moving here are just that.  People.  Good, honest people.  They have the money to buy a bunch of land in a beautiful state like Vermont so they do.  Can you blame them??  If I had the money I would too.  I don't think any good hunting areas have been "lost", the land is still there, it simply has changed hands from one good person to another for better or worse.  Maybe we should build a wall around Vermont to keep the flatlanders out and make Canada pay for it.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Come here buy up the land post it. Then get involved in local politics and try to change everything.
I agree go back where you came from.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Come here buy up the land post it. Then get involved in local politics and try to change everything.

x2

Offline stubborn1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:16 PM »
X2.  That seems to be the formula. 

They're just people (with money)?  Well they must be right.
I fish better Hungry.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.