Author Topic: Dock fishing with Vexilar  (Read 1355 times)

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
Dock fishing with Vexilar
« on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:55 PM »
We are in Missouri and we tried regular poles with minnows could not get one to bite. So I brought the vexilar and poles and started to look around the docks. Found a spot in 10ft where the cables go down and the vexilar lit up. It was just like ice fishing but a little different. Had a hard time figuring out how to hang the transducer and keep it steady with wind and small waves.

Wonder if anyone has tried this and a picture of maybe how you positioned transducer over the side of dock.

Not sure I can fish without this device you get hooked to the little blinking lights.

just thought I would share and see if others have tried this and any examples

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dock fishing with Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:14 PM »
where at in missouri are you located.  i just hang it right under the water line and use an ice pole.  works great. 

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:21 PM »
A few kind words, if I may, Potatoe?

Sizing a PVC fitting to act as a stabilizer for the transducer is best found with measurements until a close fit is discovered.

Then saw enough away to allow the cable to fit through then slide the xducer into place.

Use an o-ring, rubber-band or non-damaging sticky substance for retention.

Several feet of PVC pipe with a similar saw cut several inches up the pipe for the cable to come outside then, slide into that fitting will maintain stability in use.   Caution: No cement~ just use a cotter pin and only drill the hole with the ducer and cable removed.

Support this with a small rope through holes in the upper portion of the PVC extension, thus not putting the added weight of the PVC on the cable/xducer area, tying off to the dock/pier or something that floats.

Questions welcomed.

( I shouldn't say, I avoided buyers remorse by purchasing, first, a chart sonar with skimmer xducer (with a bolt hole). And it also has those whirly multicolored flashing lights that make me dizzy and never get used. )    ;)2

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2017, 02:08 PM »
your parts down there may be different but up here i use a black pvc plumbing part in a bell shape (reducer) and add a piece of pvc pipe to the end and mount that on my boat. The vexilar trans. will slip right up inside the bell pvc reducer...depending on if you have a small or large vex. transducer. hope this helps. I drilled holes in the pipe so as to let water drain out.

Offline potatoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2017, 07:53 PM »
I love this forum, thanks guys for the idea using PVC, never thought of using PVC to hold the transducer. I think the length of PVC would be the hardest part to figure out depending on height of dock but I am going to make one and try it.

We are heading out tomorrow and going to try spoonbill snagging and then head home

thanks again for the replies

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:06 AM »
I did this for ice fishing. I just got a screw and some washers and wignut and tried it out till I found a weight that held the transducer level. This is a boat transducer that I use with the boat mounting bracket(where the screw goes through). I would think if you were using an ice fishing ducer, that you could just use it like you would ice fishing and hang it over.

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2017, 11:16 AM »
I use my float and carry a 4ft fishing rod that the tip broke off of, and have 6 or 7 bread ties wrapped around it.  Just attach a bread tie above the float to the end of the rod and run it out to where you want it and sit your tackle box on the rod to keep stable.
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.