Author Topic: Using a boat's graph in winter on an ATV or sled?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline rickwalley

• IceShanty Rookie
Using a boat's graph in winter on an ATV or sled?
« on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Hey Guys,
I'm thinking of getting a new graph for the boat, and finally replace my Eagle Accura 240 from many, many years ago.   I'm hoping to get a lot more boat time in the next year or two I haven't been able to get in the last 10-15 years. Needless to say it's going to be a great jump into today's technology.
As much as I look forward to it in the boat, I also want to use it's lake mapping and GPS coordinate functions during the winter.  I won't need it for the sonar function on the lake, as I already have a Marcum for that.  My question is how do these screens work in real cold weather?  Can the mapping keep up at slow speeds?  As you approach a saved way point?  I know the Marcum supposedly has a screen heater built in to help the digital returns show on the screen at real time.  Assuming these boat sonars don't have that feature..am I at an accuracy disadvantage that I need to be aware of?  For what it's worth...I'm thinking of going for a home run and getting the new Humminbird Helix 10" Mega SI G2...........

Thanks for any on the ice experiences any of you already have.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Using a boat's graph in winter on an ATV or sled?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 10:40 AM »
I have a Humminbird 688 CI HD unit that I have mounted to my atv in the winter for use of the GPS and lakemaster maps. I have only had a few minor issues with the unit getting cold and not updating the maps, and both of those times came on long 7-10 mile runs up the lake. But overall, I'm very pleased with the accuracy and performance and wouldn't leave home without it!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:02 AM »
I use my Humminbird 597 for navigating in winter. Never have had a problem with cold weather. I have a Ram mounting system for it in my side by side.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:29 AM »
We run a humminbird helix 5 and 7 with no issues.
REMOVED

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Not that I use one in that manner, but I used to use a hummingbird 100 on the ice.
The only issue was how I was able to get the transducer under the ice.

Figure that since some people fish during the winter in open water, and they use electronics, it shouldn't be to much to modify it to be a portable fish finder for an ATV or sled.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2017, 01:12 PM »
My first Ice Flasher was my open water HB 688 DI. Bought the ice ducer for it.  Like the GPS/map feature.  I moved on to a marcum but my son still used it last winter.  Love the chart feature, you can look away from the flasher and not miss a flash.  The chart gives you a history.   That's the display I use on the Marcum LX7 too, forget the round flasher mode, that's old school.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Love the chart feature, you can look away from the flasher and not miss a flash.  The chart gives you a history.   That's the display I use on the Marcum LX7 too, forget the round flasher mode, that's old school.

Smart man! A lot of flasher guys will be like "well I don't need to see what already happened".. We it helps understand how the fish are reacting besides seeing a blip bounce around in a circle. You can also read weeds a lot better. A lot of my friends will upgrade but still get stuck on flasher mode becuase it's what they are used to. Once they try it out they always say "I don't know why I didn't do this sooner"
REMOVED

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:01 AM »
If you go that route I would stay away from the touch screen only models. Get something that has button. Touch screens don't work well with gloves.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.