Author Topic: Whites and burbs  (Read 878 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Whites and burbs
« on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:46 AM »
Snuck out to Pigeon on Saturday before starting the chores around the farm.  Go to the lake around 7 a.m., no tracks, no nothing.   I had some fun trying to drive around and avoid the ice heaves.  I was partially successful.  At least I didn’t get hung up or anything like that.

Started out shallow in 9 FOW.  Of course with ice over 30 inches, there isn’t too much water column left below that.   One hole I was maybe 2 inches from bottoming out including kicking the snow and ice away.   Tough ice too.   

First 20 minutes, nothing.   Then I start thinking that maybe shallow wasn’t the answer.  Well, a huge white comes cruising by and just missed the hook.  I gave it a move and it must have turned quick as it was back and it was fish on.   I got the land snagged around my hand so had to let go and then get it on the rod.  Felt weightless so I figured it was gone but then the weight came back.  Got it up quick and had a hard time turning the head / body into the 10 inch hole.  It was another tank white.  Huge thing.  Really fat with a  small head.  Got it up about 5-6 inches below the top of the ice.  Went too grab it.  Had both hands around it but it was hard to do as it was so large.  Hook pops out.  Fish struggles, and starts to turn.  Then everything seemed to sllllllllllllllllloooo oooowwww down as I watched that head turn and the tail slip between both  my hands and with a massive tail slap…gone.   A few scales floated down…

There are so many things I could have done to land it but it just wasn’t meant to be.   That will haunt be for a while though.  Stopped by 5 for 5 whitefish trip to Pigeon.  It was a good run and this was close…

Moved out deeper for a bit and marked fish but nothing seen.  Probably walleye as the marks were slow moving.

Sunday, took the wife for an annual trek for burbs.   Managed 5 nice ones.  Got quite a bit of meat so there is good burb eating tonight!

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Re: Whites and burbs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Sounds like a good start to Saturday morning to me, even with a lost fish! You'll be back to catch a bigger one.  :tipup:
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.