The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: sebago tips  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Fishteeth

• Team IceShanty Regular
sebago tips
« on: Mar 12, 2017, 08:34 PM »
never caught a togue at sebago and i'd like to give it a try tomorrow. I'll be using tip ups, just wondering what depths i should aim for. Any tips would help, pm's are fine to. I'm not looking for a secret spot or anything, just basic info to figure it out

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sebago tips
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Basic togue info.... that's easy. 0-100 f.o.w or more. Depends on how you wanna wiggle your worm. But dead or dying or almost dying smelly somethings on bottom. Shiners,smelts,suckers,hotdogs your preference really. And wait. And wait. And wait. And Haha you guessed it wait some more. Me personally. 20-40 f.o.w and vary your bait and your depth. They can swim from just under the ice to the bottom.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:19 AM »
Every lake is different for togue because they will follow the best food source in the lake, whether that means 200' holes or 10' flats.  In Sebago, the food is mostly smelt and alewives, and I usually find fish on smelt near the bottom in 70-100', or on suspended alewives over deeper basins, like fish at 80-100' over depths of 150 or so.

You can certainly catch fish on traps in Sebago, including some very nice ones on big bait, but you will catch a whole lot more jigging with a fishfinder.  I hate fishing traps in deep water, so when I do fish traps in Sebago, I usually pick a spot where a shallow area drops off quickly to 80' or more.  Set the traps on the shallow end of the edge and jig on the deep end.

Also, if you don't have navionics, get it!  The Sebago map is very good and it is the key to figuring out how to fish Sebago.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Like everyone says JIGS.

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2017, 08:10 PM »
If you have a good spot you can stay very busy fishing traps on sebago. Fish smelts near bottom to maximize your chances. Traps in deep water are annoying I recommend fishing 40-60'. That's plenty of depth to get good fish activity if you are on or near a good drop off or hump.

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2017, 08:13 AM »
How did you do fishteeth ?

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Fished last weekend and got a 25 Inch pike as wells as tons of perch..... Guy next to us Iced a 28 inch laker over 7 lbs I  3 feet of water..... Was pretty cool....... Great day

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Today the jig rod beat traps 7fish to 4 fish. Glad I only set two traps wouldn't have had a chance to jig.

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:04 PM »
It usually does, when in the right hands. @)

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Best tip I can give you is to put a GPS tracker on Chebeague and fish about 10' away from him. You'll be on the fish that way  ;D

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2017, 07:53 PM »
MGK you are just trying to throw them off your trail.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2017, 09:04 PM »
MGK you are just trying to throw them off your trail.
Witness protection could throw people of his trail. You'd think he was good or something  :o
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline DaveM2425

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2017, 11:13 PM »
How  is the ice on Sebago... around the park

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2017, 07:52 AM »
How  is the ice on Sebago... around the park
I have not been to the State park but I would be suprised if that is safe. The station in Standish and Jordan bay is being fished.Not sure if anyone else knows.The 50* weather we had a was a tease 2 weeks ago. I thought I would be trolling out by the Mouth by now.Winter is hanging on .I'm going to Jordan bay on sunday. If you want to say hi look for a skidoo tundra with a dog sled.

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Has anyone been on the ice between the ferry landing and Frye's island?

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2017, 09:24 AM »
The gut is open water unfortunately.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2017, 03:41 PM »
Anyone else fish it today?   I only had a few hours to fish this morning and it was a slow start with many marked and lots of follows but few takers.  Once I figured out what they wanted though action was great until I had to leave.  Ended up landing 8 with half dozen more hooked and lost at the hole or on the way up.  Only 2 landed were keeper size, rest were all just a bit too big, 23-25".

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Ice seems safer now then when I was home  :-\ One half of me hopes it holds on another couples weeks the other half hopes it warms up so I can get the boat out.

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2017, 08:10 AM »
I fished at the Station yesterday.  I found 12" +/- of ice all the way out to the Portland Water District Boundary.  I only brought the flasher and the jig pole,  after a dozen or so holes and a mile of walking I eventually found where the togue were hanging out.  They were about 20' off bottom around a school of smelt.  I dropped a bunch of different lures to them and only had one hit on a MASSIVE laker taker swedish pimple with a custom paint job.  I lost the fish when I was trying to back the drag off while reeling him in.  I only got looks and no hits on swedish pimples in cooper & silver, white tubes jigs, and air plane jigs all tipped with dead shiner.  What the hell do these togue want?  Do you need to put some stank on your lure?

On a side note, there was a guy fishing way inside the Portland Water District Boundary.  Are you allowed to go in there for ice fishing or is it still off limits?  I'm pretty sure it is a hefty fine if they catch you in there....

Offline TightLinesMaine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I was out on the station not too long ago, only 4.5"-6" of ice where I was surprised there is 12" now?

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I was out on the station not too long ago, only 4.5"-6" of ice where I was surprised there is 12" now?

Yes, at the minimum.  Some spots much more.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2017, 10:59 AM »
I fished at the Station yesterday.  I found 12" +/- of ice all the way out to the Portland Water District Boundary.  I only brought the flasher and the jig pole,  after a dozen or so holes and a mile of walking I eventually found where the togue were hanging out.  They were about 20' off bottom around a school of smelt.  I dropped a bunch of different lures to them and only had one hit on a MASSIVE laker taker swedish pimple with a custom paint job.  I lost the fish when I was trying to back the drag off while reeling him in.  I only got looks and no hits on swedish pimples in cooper & silver, white tubes jigs, and air plane jigs all tipped with dead shiner.  What the hell do these togue want?  Do you need to put some stank on your lure?

On a side note, there was a guy fishing way inside the Portland Water District Boundary.  Are you allowed to go in there for ice fishing or is it still off limits?  I'm pretty sure it is a hefty fine if they catch you in there....

Definitely not allowed in there.  That guy is in for a very unpleasant surprise if caught.

As to jigs and tipping them, it seems to me that togue are just like that sometimes.  Some days they will chase your jig up and down multiple times, but will never quite commit.  FWIW, I think most guys I know tip jigs with sucker strips or smelt rather than shiners for Sebago, not sure if it really makes a difference.  I have had days where small smelt-tipped jigs outfished larger traditional jigs, but I've also seen the opposite, so go figure!

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2017, 11:44 AM »
If they will chase but won't bite downsize your lure. If they are stuck to bottom and won't chase good luck.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2017, 04:49 PM »
If they will chase but won't bite downsize your lure. If they are stuck to bottom and won't chase good luck.

That's when I go home

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2017, 04:41 PM »
Plenty ice today and a few fish

Offline Chebeague

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 24, 2017, 05:00 PM »
Went yesterday to a new area and was impressed by the number of fish around. Also loads of smelt for them to eat.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2017, 01:41 PM »
Iced this guy and a dozen of his friends this morning. Tried hard to get #14, but the bite shut off and I ended up stuck at 13.  If I'm skunked next time, at least I will know the source of the bad luck!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Very nice! I've been itching to get out and tempted to try the lake. How much ice is there? 

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2017, 04:50 PM »
3-4" where I was with some big cracks.  Sounds like more in some other areas.  It's fishable, but definitely need to go carefully and make good use of a chisel as you go.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Nice Togue outing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.