Author Topic: homemade tipups  (Read 22655 times)

Offline jaybird

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
homemade tipups
« on: Dec 16, 2002, 03:01 PM »
hey I'm looking for some plans to make tipups for a group of boy scouts does any one know how?

tee

Re: homemade tipups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2002, 01:41 PM »
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has contacted you on How to make tipups? If you have found out could you let me know. ???

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2002, 07:10 PM »
Hey Jaybird,
Great idea with the scouts!  Hey this information may help.  I put together some tip-ups for a friend of mine a couple years back.  I got most of the supplies on-line and bought some 1/2" hard wood slats from the lumber yard.  Basically made some stick tip-ups and stapled the flag steel and trigger mechinism on.  Then attached the spool with a shim to interact with the trigger mechinism.  Procede this by squezzing the flag onto the spring steel and WaLLaa!!!  A tip-up that works like a champ and gives the scouts a sense of accomplishment.  I am listing a web site that carries a load of tip up accesorys; spools, flags, steel, etc. Any questions?  Email me.  -Barleydog :'(
www.peterson-outdoors
TEAM ALASKA

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:14 PM »
this is a simple tip up plan but it works and its cheep the main shaft is lath or 2 in wide by 1/2 in thick about 10 in long drill 1/4 in hole at about 3 in from bottem insert 1/4 in dowel at least 8 in long cut one notch on each side of bottem about 2 in long tie on line and wrap it around the lath. it will flip back and forth when a fish hits and runs works great for pan fish.

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2002, 05:45 PM »
Barleydog, I just read your post and for some reason the web address didn't come up. I am interested in replacing some parts on my retired tip-ups. I still have my original and my uncles' tip-up that were purchased from JC Penneys when they had a sporting good section, I'd have to say back in the late 70's. They are the black "40 Up's" and have not seen a wooden device of this quality for at least the last 10 years. I have replaced the wooden cross sections when needed, but looking for the steel used for the flag trip mechanism. I know it would be more cost effective to buy a new device, but its a "keepsake thing." I noticed sometimes the web addresses are deleted on this site for some reason. Please try to post it again!                Thanks, George in Throop PA  :'(

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2002, 06:43 PM »
George,
Hey everytime I put the online store on the post it shows up like that!  Gremlins? Maybe ???  Well I think you can figure the address out if I put.     You get the idea!  Just surf to thier ice fishing section and click on the different tip-up parts.
I hope this helps?  Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline George_B

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Always looking for new tip-up variations !!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2002, 06:49 PM »
;)Beautiful, Thank you. George in Throop PA

Offline jaybird

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2002, 05:18 AM »
Thanks for the ideas the kids should have a ball making these

Ice_Dog

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2002, 07:01 AM »
A friend of mine's grandfather had made about a dozen homemade tip-ups.  He calls them tee tops, it is a simple design to use if anyone would like the plans to make these email me at, [email protected]

Offline Mayfield_Mike

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2003, 06:27 PM »
I made a tipup a few years back that was made with a mouse trap attached to it.  it gets set with mouse trap set and flag over mouse trap arm, when a fish strikes the bait hard, it trips the mouse trap and not only kicks the flag up but also sets the hook.  Pretty kewl concept my fishing buddies all laughed, till they seen how it worked.  I seem to have misplaced over the years, so I don't have a pic of it, but I have a sketch I could email you if anyone is interested in seeing it. just drop me a mesage with your email :'(

Rusticman

« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:41 PM »
Hi, I'm building a set of wood tip-ups for my self. I drew up a rough set of plans and have started making the parts.  The link below shows the original plans for Whip-ups. They look like they would be easy to make and can use any fishing pole you have by adjusting the size of the base.

http://hometown.aol.com/slamcoinc/whipup.html

Good luck
Rusticman

Offline hawkeyejr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have ice will fish it,flagup,and catch a BIG one
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2003, 07:32 PM »
i make my own lake erie tip up im me here at this site and i'll gladly send you one so you have a plan for the boyscouts to work from they are real easy to make and a little creativity can be customized for there own style and design or you can e-mail me at [email protected]
have ice will travel catch a big one

Sask_Fisher

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2003, 05:37 PM »
 Has anyone ever tried the willow stick trick for pike? You take a light willow and attach your line and rig then stick it in the snow 10 yard from you hole. The pike hit and pull the willow down  :'(  and across the snow. Simple and cheap but I have never tried it, as soon as I get some more quick strike rigs I will. Anybody else have luck with it? I know the old timers used to do it.

badfish515

« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2003, 08:58 PM »
as far as the willow thing goes, ive used that alot.
what i do is get a willow about 6-8 feet long, and plant it in the snow about 2-3ft away from hole(standing up). so the wet snow freezes around it. then i put line around the top and down the hole.

The secret is to tie a plastic grocery bag around the string like a windsock...this jigging is great and makes the walleye bite too.
Up here in alberta the pike are almost an annoyace cause they bite on anything and alot are around lol, but this seem to work great for me..ps if its windy you can make the bag smaller and it moves less
This weekend i am going up to Namier lake north of fort Mcmurray and i am fishing for lake trout in the 7-30lbs range so i want to make up some stronger tipups.. ;D

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
Re:homemade tipups
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:05 PM »
holeinhide  

i understand the plans but how do u attach it to the ice ???????????????

thanks Ben

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2004, 11:23 PM »
In case no-one has told you yet, you can use the metal strips from automobile window wiper blades for flag arms. They are strong and flexible and just about the right length.

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline woodstove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I made a tipup a few years back that was made with a mouse trap attached to it.  it gets set with mouse trap set and flag over mouse trap arm, when a fish strikes the bait hard, it trips the mouse trap and not only kicks the flag up but also sets the hook.  Pretty kewl concept my fishing buddies all laughed, till they seen how it worked.  I seem to have misplaced over the years, so I don't have a pic of it, but I have a sketch I could email you if anyone is interested in seeing it. just drop me a mesage with your email :'(

Hi could you please send a picture or description to me electronical @ [email protected]  If you had to sketch and mail it to me the old fashion way I'll sent you come money for postage .
I saw an article about 30-40 years ago and now want to make at least a few
thanks again
Sammy
Hot tea, cold hands and a fish on!!! It just don't get any better!!

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:42 AM »
Hi could you please send a picture or description to me electronical @ [email protected]  If you had to sketch and mail it to me the old fashion way I'll sent you come money for postage .
I saw an article about 30-40 years ago and now want to make at least a few
thanks again
Sammy

depending where you are in canada Sammy, check your regulations, i believe in ontario spring loaded anything and i believe that includes mousetraps are illegal when fishing... i got a fine for a spring loaded hook years ago. was in my shack and they seen it one the wall...

Offline woodstove

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2008, 05:58 AM »

Please send me the plans for these as I have been thinking of doing this for about 20 years.
I saw a magazine article about these when I was about 10

Much appreciated [email protected]
Hot tea, cold hands and a fish on!!! It just don't get any better!!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:34 PM »
i just wanted to know if you could send me a sketch or pic [email protected] thanx

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:00 PM »
the mousetrap tipup is featured over in the inventions board

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 10, 2009, 12:41 PM »
get a hold of Eclecticguy under the "tip up" forum.
He's making them with boy scouts and has some great ideas
gd
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2009, 03:41 PM »
depending where you are in canada Sammy, check your regulations, i believe in ontario spring loaded anything and i believe that includes mousetraps are illegal when fishing... i got a fine for a spring loaded hook years ago. was in my shack and they seen it one the wall...

Yes...you are right....it is illegal.  However, the bent rod with a release mechanism is legal....so far at least.  The reason it's legal is the fact that bent rods are used when downrigging.  When the fish pulls the line from the trip mechanism, the rod whips upward and strikes the fish.  The bend in the rod is an inherent action of the rod.  If bent rods can be used with downriggers then a bent rod can be used when fishing through the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.