The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Not a single soul out today  (Read 1335 times)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
Not a single soul out today
« on: Mar 11, 2017, 11:46 AM »
So I decided to take a ride through the islands to see what was going on........NOTHING!

Did not see a single person on the ice. I am sure the extreme wind and cold has a lot to do with it.

Sandbar- forget  the north side.  South is sketchy looking for sure
Keeler- looks like most is new ice so i didnt bother getting out to check
Knights Point/abnaki/hibbard- point area looks like new ice, but hibbard is locked up.  Walked out.....appears to be about 3" at the shoreline and maybe 6+ a bit further out
Isle lamotte- lots of water by passage. From passage north all ice but did not get out and check due to the ice chunks that blew on shore.....many spots with water
Missisqquoi bay (church road)- not safe at all.  Walked out 100 yards and drilled a hole...maybe a stretch to call it 2"
Tabor point access......drilled hole 6-8" white ice
Maquam bay swanton- shore looked rough so I didnt check

This is just how "I" see it. Use your own judgement on what you consider "safe"

Dockside still has some bait.

If anyone ventures out, let us know what you find. With the cold week ahead, I am remaining optimistic for another trip or two out!

Be safe!!!

Wdy
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Not a single soul out today
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2017, 02:21 PM »
Thanks for the update Woodyvt! Looks like Crayfish2 and I are going to skip hitting the ice again this weekend. Headed to the boat show instead. Good luck to any one braving the cold!
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Great report woodyvt...thanks. I'd like to add that St Albans bay is open from boat launch to the island and as far south as I could see. The white perch can live another day!

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2017, 03:05 PM »
No one but me out on the lakes down Plymouth Vt way. I was the only brave, stupid , crazy, dedicated ice fisherman. I used all of those adjectives to describe my self. Mostly crazy! Windy and cold. Plenty of ice, at least a foot.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2017, 04:28 PM »
Yeah I did the wind and cold last Saturday, I'll pass on it today...thanks for the report!

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2017, 06:43 PM »
Dillenback was locked up too, but only had 1.5" of black ice. I have been seeing people doing really good on boats the past week, so I'm going to start getting mine ready for the weekend when its in the upper 40s. Plenty of open access in southern Vermont.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:06 PM »
We finally catch a break this winter from the abnormal highs and it's too cold to fish. Now we've got a big Nor' Easter on the way threatening to dump in excess of 6 inches to a foot of snow depending on the systems course. Not good for making ice or walking for that matter.  :(
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2017, 10:44 AM »
woodyvt - many thanks for the thorough report. I'm in Pa. for a few days but headed back up tomorrow, just in time for the snow. I am soooo psyched to hit the hardwater a few more times, if possible, and  if safe!

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Haven't been able to get out on the ice this year at all and at this point I'm looking to some boat repairs in preparation for open water.

I'm not confident in the safety of any of the ice that's near here.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.