Author Topic: Story, sort-of, on ice fishing  (Read 734 times)

Offline narkj

• IceShanty Rookie
Story, sort-of, on ice fishing
« on: Mar 09, 2017, 02:55 PM »
The folks of Ice Shanty helped me out on this. I originally intended to write a straight story about ice fishing but it evolved into an essay about fatherhood.

Hope you like it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/father-son-ice-fishing-pennsylvania-lake.html

Online mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Story, sort-of, on ice fishing
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:13 PM »
Jason a belated welcome to the Ice Shanty family . Nice story may you stay connected with your children . If both you and your youngest son enjoyed the day of ice fishing  I see more trips in your future. Hopefully your son can convince his siblings to give ice fishing a try out. Since you have made contact with members of PA. fish and game stay in touch with those folks especially the female officer possibly due a trip next year with her family  since you both have children.
  If you get the ice fishing bug stay in contact with us folks here on Ice Shanty. Lots of good people happy to help you with all the many questions you may have about ice fishing.
Steve

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2017, 07:25 AM »
very nice story. making memories. sounded like your son had a good time. maybe, he'll be inviting you for some ice fishing some day

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2017, 12:25 PM »
A very much liked story, Jason, and I agree fully with the comments above.    :thumbsup: :clap:

The slide show is a real plus.     ;)2

Thank you.    :bow:

Tom

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2017, 11:37 PM »
Nice story! Thanks for sharing.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Although the kids will grow and eventually leave to live their own lives, when you allow them to experience things like this on their own terms, they tend to develop a connection to the time, place events and people involved.

Even though he may not become a master angler, I would be willing to bet that if you mention ice fishing to him, he will recall many fond memories surrounding whatever trips you had made together.

And then, at some point, he may turn the tables and take YOU fishing....

I don't have kids, but all of my nieces and nephews have been fishing with me.
Some still like it, some have moved on to other hobbies, and all still remember the outings.

I still make offers to go fishing, but as teens and young adults, the acceptances are few and far between, but when they do go, they remember how much fun we had, and how relaxing it can be to just "wet a line"!

Very good article!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2017, 03:43 PM »
This was a great story! Made me smile and count my blessings  :) ... Thanks Jason  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.