Author Topic: What's the lightest 2 man flip?  (Read 8302 times)

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
What's the lightest 2 man flip?
« on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Looking for a 2 man flip that's light enough for one guy to drag and load in the bed of a truck? Was looking at the Eskimo inferno 2 man but not sure I'll like the seats. Also needs to be able to be in the wind blocking position!

Thanks guys. Already missing the ice :(

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: What's the lightest 2 man flip?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Frabill aegis uninsulated 48lbs

Offline Tipupguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Clam blazer I think it's 38 pounds
FISH ON!🎣

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:32 PM »
I don't recommend it but I load my Clam Nanook insulated by myself.   Rest half up on truck leaving other side on ground and go around and pick up other side and slide it in.  100 lbs.  Can be lighter, if you by yourself then remove the other seat and leave it at home.   Or you can remove the seats and all your gear before loading.

Not a fan of Clam engineering so don't recommend it from that perspective.

If you want light for dragging.   Put a smitty sled under any sled.  They glide effortlessly across snow and ice. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:45 PM »
x2 Clam Nanook.    The Clam Nanook Thermal is not the lightest at 85 lbs, but the two seats remove easily, making the flip over weight 55 lbs.  By removing the seats before I load I can put Nanook in the back of the truck by myself.  The sled is wide enough that it pulls fairly easy over ice and snow.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:59 PM »
that would be the shappell fx200 @ 72# and another 4# for their insulated version.

http://shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

the fx100 is also the lightest one man brand and very popular.

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:48 PM »
I have a one man shapell but I want more room for me and if my dad wants to come I want to squeeze him in.

Do these also lock in as a wind shield too?

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:57 PM »
shappell has wind break/half open mode on their flip overs.

they will be redesigning them in 2017 or 2018 when their contract with the manufacturing company expires. they have new materiel for their tents already and added features ready to implement.
i will be selling my fx100 when this happens. every time they make new features i buy the new model.

Offline rundrave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:55 AM »
if you dont keep the seats secured to the tub the nanook is very easy to load. My model is probably 5 years old not sure if they have made any changes. There is 2 brackets that the seat frames are bolted through to secure them to the tub. I have left those in bolted to the tub for both seats and they make a great handle for getting leverage and lifting the entire assembly into the bed of my truck.

It works great to keep the seats unsecured when I fish alone then I just take one seat and its makes for a great one man set up. And I still have 2 seats at times I take someone else with.

Offline Budd Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2017, 01:06 PM »
I have the Eskimo FlipMo2. One of the worse pieces of junk I ever got skrewed on. Right outta the box some of the little red plastic releases were broken. Can you imagine sending someone broken parts in an unopened box? Dont they have quality control? Appears not to be. The tarp is too small and tore first trip out. The skinny little bolt holding the drawbar clevise broke about the 3rd trip. The rear post that holds up the crossbar broke the litlle pin on the bottom. Some of the little plastic slider clamps have also broke. Eskimo used to make a quality product but like many companies they appear to be in it for a fast buck. That unit will cost ya a grand nowadays. There are plenty of other companies making flip ups, not sure which if any are durable. Dont get me going on my auger.....Eskimo will never get a Christmas card from me.

Offline Travis Rage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2017, 09:24 PM »
Any other thoughts? Of a favorite sub 100 lb 2 man flip!

Thanks guys. Always appreciate your advice!

Travis

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2017, 03:45 AM »
shappell

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Maybe you are done looking but the Otter cabin with bench seat weighs in just a hair under 100 at 95lbs.  I'm also in the search of a good but light 2 man for this next year.  I've heard nothing but good things for Otters, just on the heavier side and I walk a lot unless I can drive my suv out.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jun 09, 2017, 09:32 PM »
frabill trekker II insulated, just put all the gear towards the front - lift the rear on to your tail gate, lift the front up and slider in. 

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2017, 10:11 AM »
I have a Nanook. Uninsulated and I removed the seats and framework for the seats. I sit on a 2lb folding camp seat. That way I can sit outside also. Cant weigh more than 50lbs now.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.