Author Topic: Kokanee scent  (Read 407 times)

Offline willrile4

• IceShanty Rookie
Kokanee scent
« on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:25 PM »
Hello everyone,
I just started like new fishing for the first time I have been out the last 2 weekends and have iced 4 fish. I feel successful as I caught something. But I still know,that I have a ton to learn on how to consistently pull silvers up through the ice. I have been using some sort of flasher(swedish pimple,kastmaster) and then a glow hook tied below tipped with a maggot. I saw people around me pulling in fish left and right while I would occasianly get a nibble, why is this? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with bait/scent.... Any pointers would be appreciated want to hit the ice agin Sunday if the rain holds off.    I also recently got a vexilar and that seems to really help, as I caught 3 fish that day and my previous 2 combined trips had 1 fish.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Kokanee scent
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Try a small pink glow hook, one spike like you were using.

Cod liver oil may help.

Use a spring bobber on the rod tip.

If you even think a fish smelled the bait ~ strike instantly.

Good luck.      ;)2

Tom

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:43 AM »
Hello everyone,
I just started like new fishing for the first time I have been out the last 2 weekends and have iced 4 fish. I feel successful as I caught something. But I still know,that I have a ton to learn on how to consistently pull silvers up through the ice. I have been using some sort of flasher(swedish pimple,kastmaster) and then a glow hook tied below tipped with a maggot. I saw people around me pulling in fish left and right while I would occasianly get a nibble, why is this? I have a suspicion that it has something to do with bait/scent.... Any pointers would be appreciated want to hit the ice agin Sunday if the rain holds off.    I also recently got a vexilar and that seems to really help, as I caught 3 fish that day and my previous 2 combined trips had 1 fish.
If you scroll down on the home page you will see sub forums for different fish. The last post there addresses the very question you asked. You will see it in the salmon sub forum.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2017, 07:28 AM »
I expiremented with garlic oil and can't say if it's been a game changer, but I've been using that ever since and it hadn't detoured them away. A couple other guys I've seen have used anise oil and said it worked well also.  Like Tom said one maggot on a small hook works well.  They are extremely light biters where I've been fishing them so you have to use a sensitive rod or spring bobber.  A lot of my buddies that I take out aren't used to the light bite and are expecting the usual tug like a trout, once they get dialed in to the bite they do fine. I've been using the same setup as you and jigging it 3-4 times lightly then lifting it slowly, usually on the upstroke watch for your tip tip stop or start pulling down and set the hook.  If you se them tap it and then set slot of times they're already gone.  They can be challenging I think that's why I'm addicted to them now, plus they taste amazing.  I'm no pro but these are some things I've picked up in the last couple months.
screenshot

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.