The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Weird Weather  (Read 1025 times)

Offline NickM

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weird Weather
« on: Mar 07, 2017, 05:02 PM »
I guess it's not really unusual for March, but I'm wondering what the ice looks like in Southern Maine after these 50 degree rainy days followed by nights down around 0. I was going to check it out myself this weekend, but it was so nasty with the wind that I couldn't bring myself to get out there.

The 10 day forecast looks good for ice after tomorrow. Thinking that we might even be fishing into the first week of April depending on how it plays out. Anyone have any input on what conditions are like generally?

This next weekend is looking pretty bitter cold again, but I'm hoping that we might actually make ice through next week and be in good shape if nice weather shows up around St. Patrick's day.

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Weird Weather
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I'm hoping you're right. Been buried at work recently, haven't been able to get out for two weeks.  If the forecast holds, I could end up fishing first ice on some of my favorite spots in mid-March.  Weird weather is right!

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Things can't be too bad down there. Have heard rumors of jigging on sebago?
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline jfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2017, 02:08 AM »
Ice was really good on a big body of water in western Maine when I was fishing Monday 18-20" of ice. By the end of the day there was some good water spots on the shorelines. Looking really cold starting Thursday night. See no reason why we won't be fishing rate until the end of the month maybe some in April.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2017, 02:33 AM »
I had a solid 2 feet in central Maine on Monday (I was hoping it'd be slightly less, love my hand auger but that gets old real quick).

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2017, 03:23 AM »
that's great that you still have good ice been shut down here for at least 2 weeks with no good ice and most places no ice

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2017, 04:58 AM »
I was on 16" of decent ice in south west ME. Use extreme caution around any areas with flowage. All this warm water flowing in under the ice has taken its toll.
Even the " good" black ice is starting to weaken, becoming more porous.
As always this time of year,go with a buddy if possible. Bring the appropriate safety gear ,ice picks,( I like an old ski rope with a boat cushion tied to it.if someone goes in you've got 70' of strong rope that's easy to throw.) Test ice frequently,and use your head!

Offline The Phish unit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2017, 08:38 PM »
I had plenty of ice on range ponds the other day , but the old snow has melted down so it was SLICK walking. Might want creepers if you have them wherever you go
Gotta catch 'em all

Offline Mainah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2017, 07:30 PM »
Strong Ice on where i was fishing (700 acre lake)in southern maine. About 15" Snow has melted and it is very slick. 7-13" of snow coming tuesday.
I don't do drugs or bottles... fishing takes all my money!

Offline WishnIwasFishn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2017, 12:31 AM »
I fished Casco/Otisfield area yesterday and had 16-18" of solid black ice, couple holes were loser to 20". As stated above though definitely be cautious of weakening shore lines and around any outflow. There was quite a bit of open water near the bridge getting onto the lake yesterday afternoon that probably went out a good 100 yards but on the way back in this morning, half of it was frozen over and covered in a light layer of snow- just a recipe for disaster if one isn't paying attention.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.