The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: cold spell coming  (Read 2252 times)

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
cold spell coming
« on: Mar 06, 2017, 08:09 AM »
By mid week a cold front is going to bring winter back and i'm ecited to get back out. I'm thinking by this time next week it should be ok to get back out. Any thoughts on this? North of M-55 is where i'm headed
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline Swedish Pimp

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cold spell coming
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:25 PM »
There will be lakes that are good to go and others will be questionable. I am referring to machine travel.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I allways walk and spud every 5 feet even if its a half mile before I take my sled out. where are you located Swedish?

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2017, 01:22 PM »
 Should be here today the way the wind is blowing you could sail across the lake

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2017, 02:19 PM »
White caps on my lake. Not a piece of ice in sight. Needs to stay warm enough so I can get the toon ready for the water.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2017, 05:56 AM »
there is still ice on most lakes north of m-55.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2017, 06:52 AM »
 There is but I am not sure how far I would trust it. I was in towm yesterday (Lake City) and the ice there looked fare. I went to Houghton Lake last night and the ice there looked really bad. You could see where the shelf ice stopped and it looked crappy beyond there. Everything is froze solid here this morning and temps are suppose to be cold. If we don't get any snow it should firm up very good. I noticed the brush piles they put on Lake Missaukee were starting to set lower than they had been, but that may be from the sun hitting them and melting  the ice under them

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Me and a couple guys are going up on Monday for a few days . Hoping that this artic blast has really firmed up the remaining ice.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2017, 09:49 AM »
A couple weeks ago the ice was bad and we got a cold snap and it firmed up for 5 days so I'm expecting the same to happen now. BTW I think I hear crickets in the backround  when I'm on this site.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2017, 09:40 PM »
There is fishing still going on in my neck of the woods. I'm going tomorrow, I'll let you know what it looks like, definitely on borrowed time. Gotta get some fishing in soon before it's too late.

Offline Duck-Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Down here in the SE all its doing is skimming up small ponds and freezing eyelets on the long rods. This winter has been the most bipolar "winter" I have seen in my life time. It's been done down here since the weekend of February 18th. Last time I was put down here was 2 days before the St Helen tournament and that was even iffy. Hoping for a better winter next year. For the guys still sliding out up north, play it safe!
REMOVED

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Almost first ice for the.....let's see...3rd or 4th time this year. Sheeeish
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2017, 07:51 PM »
 I went by Houghton Lake today and it is open water along the south shoreline. Some places it is out a long ways

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #13 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:37 PM »
There is fishing still going on in my neck of the woods. I'm going tomorrow, I'll let you know what it looks like, definitely on borrowed time. Gotta get some fishing in soon before it's too late.

Yup. Inquiring minds want to know.
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 15, 2017, 12:54 PM »
I put the ice gear away after the warm spell but might have to bring down a few things. Might hit some early ice spots with a friend tomorrow morning.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Hey compli I just fished Budd Tuesday and didn't get skunked. Ice was 9 inches and the north end shore was still good to walk on going tomorrow in the morning. My last trip as my wife could pop any day.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2017, 08:11 AM »
Crystal lake in Benzie had good ice where I was on the north east shore out to 40 fow. caught a bunch of perch and 2 nice coho. 8-10" of ice with 3' of snow on top.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.