The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Thing one, Thing two  (Read 982 times)

Offline sturboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Thing one, Thing two
« on: Mar 03, 2017, 03:26 PM »
I like to read iceshanty and the end of the ice season will be here soon enough so I thought I'd introduce a topic. I'll describe a couple interesting things that happened this season and see if you guys have a couple to post.
Thing one: did the research and ponied up for expensive 30# fluorocarbon leader material. Very first pike bit it off cleanly.
Thing two: caught a 12" mudpuppy on a 5" walleye sucker. Brought him into the basement for a day or two and couldn't believe the slime coat on him. He could get a job on Ghostbusters sliming people.
There, two anecdotes of perhaps less than earth-shattering content. Yours will be more interesting!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Thing one, Thing two
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I learned that I love my new M18 fuel and 8" kdrill. 26 Lbs lighter than my old jiffy. I learned that when I get all 3 of my old Polaris snowmobiles running all the snow melts.

Offline perch_stalker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I will second the Milwaukee & 8" kdrill. What an amazing set up! I ran it all season and drilled close over 1000 holes and not a single problem. Could easily drill all the holes I needed during the day, and I run & gun alot. I'll never go back to my gas auger.
Second thing I experienced this year, bobber or still line fishing didn't work this year. 99% of the fish I caught were by jigging, and making the fish come off the bottom. I caught perch, crappie, bluegill, small mouth bass, walleye and pike. Maybe caught one or two fish all winter on a set line. They just seemed to want the baits moving.
Third thing....PLASTICS! Over the last couple years I've been slowly switching over to plastics, but always had times where I used live bait as well. This year, I didn't use love bait at all, 100% plastics and caught just as many if not more than guys using live bait. I'm all in now!

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Thing one: I learned that having two girls ages 1 and 3 really puts a damper on the fishing.

Thing two: Because of thing one I was forced to do more night fishing and in return I was able to get on a decent walleye bite earlier on in the year.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:24 AM »
3x on the KD8 and the Fuel 18, also, the Helix 5 makes for a damn nice gps/sonar combo for ice fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.