Author Topic: Flipover verses hub  (Read 1988 times)

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flipover verses hub
« on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:26 AM »
Why do people buy hubs over flips is it price ,weight  see a lot of people with hubs over the flips I'm looking at both  thanks what do you guys buy

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Flipover verses hub
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:33 AM »
hub is roomier, easy to pack up and store, if you are some one like me who likes to set out tip ups and not move around then a hub is the way to go. If you are a run and gun type of person then a flipover is for you. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline mjk67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:37 AM »
I don't think it is all that difficult to move around a few times with a hub. It all depends how much gear you have with you.  You certainly won't hole hop, but moving a few times during an afternoon trip isn't difficult at all.  Once you've set them up a few times, it becomes routine.  Wind really is the issue....

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:43 AM »
i buy both and both have a propose. the one man flip is best for solo and getting around on the ice much faster, it is self contained. a hub you have to have a sled to haul it and your other things. a hub you have to bring seating too. it is much more of a hassle to use and to have to set up and take down. the propose is for more than one person and will hold 2 very comfortable and you can stand up and walk around in the bigger ones. so you have lots of space and so it needs more heat and light (if night time fishing). anchoring a pop up is more time too. buying the correct anchors is key here. eskimo are the way to go or their knock offs sold at gander in a pouch. the anchor driver is also nice if you use your drill as an auger w/o a plate.

so buy both, but start with a flip if it's just you. i have 4 shanties now and sold one last season. i also have a suit case shanty that is in the middle of a flip and pop up. it has it's own sled and skis and can carry two buckets on top, altho i strap it to a smitty sled most times.

a two man flip is heavy so a pop up is less weight is another way to look at why to have pop ups. when my wife goes i bring one of my pop ups. one is insulated and the other is not. both are the largest the manufactures build.
the pop up gives women privacy to be able to "go" when they need to and much more room.

you could set pop ups over each tip up if you wanted to. i don't bother with tip ups and prefer to stay active on the ice.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:35 AM »
Hub has more room for the family and is much less space in the sedan.

Edit: Third season with Eskimo FatFish 767. No complaints.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline FrozenJig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Take a walk around next time you are out and check out what people have. Most of the time people are friendly enough but just remember... If their shanty is a rockin... Don't go a knockin !!  :roflmao: :woot:
Look for the beer flag, that's where i'm at

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:08 PM »
i like being mobile. my flipover fishtrap pro works great for me.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:10 PM »
I bought a hub, an Eskimo 949i, for when I take my kids and wife with me because there's more room in it. 

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Hub has more room for the family and is much less space in the sedan.

That's four great reasons right there..

Lighter, smaller packing, more room..

I don't have one, just haven't been sold on one yet..

I think I'm holding out for something built really solid.. Haven't seen it yet.. May end up with a polar bird some day, if they made a black one.. I like the dark house..

<°)))>{

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2017, 07:45 PM »
hub is roomier, easy to pack up and store, if you are some one like me who likes to set out tip ups and not move around then a hub is the way to go. If you are a run and gun type of person then a flipover is for you.
in a nutshell that's it  ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:02 PM »
Depending on the size of each shelter, it cold be basically re you fishing alone or with a group?

Most flipovers are geared towards single users while hubs are designed for multiple users.

That's all I have to offer.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2017, 10:19 PM »
3300 & FishermanTim have the best points IMHO - it's up to you.

I'd offer that they are both effective tools depending on your needs, or style or whatever you do.  Some might say a permanent house is best - you may not have that much time or ice.

It comes down to plonk and fish vs hole hopping - you decide.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2017, 11:33 PM »
Why do people buy hubs over flips is it price ,weight  see a lot of people with hubs over the flips I'm looking at both  thanks what do you guys buy

Next time your on the lake, look at the guys in the hub and see what they drive, then look at the guys in the flip-over and see what they drive.  Flip over ussually= pickup or trailer,  hub ussually= something a hub fits into easier.. They both rock. 

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2017, 09:16 AM »
if its not windy I go inside my quickfish 3 pick it up by the ceiling and walk with it setup. dont try it if its windy though.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2017, 01:17 PM »
I just think the flip overs are too expensive, too heavy and most of the time I'm not fishing alone. My hub was 1/3 of the price of a flip over too. My power auger was cheaper than a filpover.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2017, 01:47 PM »
I think both have their purpose. I had an uninsulated popup, an insulated popup, a two person flip and a one person flip which attached to the rear rack of my ATV. It was great for moving a lot, but I sold it today since I now use my side by side or pickup truck. It is nice to have a choice on the ice. The two person flip is pretty cumbersome for this old guy to load into the pickup alone, so the popups are nice for me. I'm retired so I don't usually fish when it's windy. Some of my best memories are of fishing in the Ontario shack my son and I built together many years ago. :)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline buck05

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 07, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Hubs have there time and place on nice days and no wind. But in my opinion a flip is the only way to go. All my friends that have hubs have ended up buying flips because a lot of days it is windy and being mobile to find fish is important. Last winter we watched a Eskimo hub blow half way across the lake we were fishing throwing all there coats and gear they had hung up everywhere. When we walked over to help the base was still screwed to the ice it had ripped away.  My first flip was the clam nanook very reasonable and comfortable. I normally fish with my son so I have to load and drag our stuff. I really don't know how u would save any money with a hub by the time you buy a sled to put all your stuff and including the Shanty.    Mark :tipup:

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 07, 2017, 07:33 PM »
I started off with Cabin style as we usually have a large group go and there is always plenty of room. The problem is they are heavy, my Clam Sleeper opens up to 8x8 and weights 190 lbs. empty and towed like a brick plowing the snow in front of it. I built a sled to put it on and I have pulled this by hand, but now that I am 60 I rather pull it by machine. It pulls and tows really easy on the sled.

My Clam X2 is a 2 man flip-over which I love. It handles those Windy days just find. Again these can be heavy as this one weighs 145 lbs. empty

The Good news is I can hook these two together if I want as both of them have the Trap Link door.

...but for those days you want to pack light I decided to get a Hub. I got to say I would not trade one for the other and Glad I got all 3 to choose from.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #18 on: Mar 07, 2017, 11:01 PM »
Nice work on the sled Coach.....It's a dandy !!  :thumbsup:

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2017, 09:47 AM »
I prefer using my flipover as it allows me to move around more easily. The biggest factor for me is snow. I haven't built a Smitty sled yet so if theres any snow at all I wont pull the flipover-it's a plow. Throwing my hub shelter in my jet sled is still feasible even with some snow on the ice.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2017, 12:05 PM »
In my opinion weight isn't that much different and with a flip I can have everything ready in the sled.  My vote is for the flip  unless you have more than 3 people. To much of a hassle to haul out my pop up.  I have the eskimo 949i  it is by no means light and once it's up I'm not moving it.  Take my flip up out and I'll drag it all over the lake

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:38 AM »
I thought about this topic when I was packing up to leave today (I read it last night.) It was about 10 degrees out and blowing about 20 mph. I took everything including chairs, fish bucket, minnow cooler, tackle bag, buddy heater, lunch/snack cooler, thermos, fishfinder, etc. out of my Eskimo Quick Fish 3 and put it next to the sled (Otter Magnum). I couldn't load the gear in the sled yet, because the hub has to go in first, after the auger. I unscrewed the three anchors and took the hub down. Then I unscrewed the fourth anchor and had my 7 year old son help me fold it up. (This is easy to do by myself with no wind.) I didn't have the Velcro strap, which is too short anyway, so I had to hold the folded up hub while he tried to put the bag on it. The bag didn't go on the first attempt, because the Velcro cinch straps weren't loose enough, so I had to loosen them first. When I did this, the hub unfolded. The bag didn't go on  the second attempt because the pull cord got stuck in one of the fiberglass poles. When I tried to free the cord, the whole damned thing unfolded again. By this time, my fingers were numb, because I couldn't wear my mittens while doing this. By this time, I was also cussing like a sailor. After we finally got it folded up and in the bag, put in the sled and everything loaded on top, I realized that this whole ordeal took over 40 minutes! I thought about last year when I had my flip-over, how easy it was to pack up and leave. Put the rods, heater and fishfinder in the sled (everything else was already in the sled,) take the poles down, fold down the tent and go! 5-10 minutes tops! Then I got home and set up the hub to dry it out.  I got inside it and thought "this is nice! I didn't have as much room in my flip-over." But then in the flip-over, I could have kept everything in the sled, instead of on wet ice. Plus, earlier when I was fishing and I was getting flags in shallower water, I thought, no way am I taking this down and moving. But it would be easy with the flip-over.

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:46 AM »
I have a hub because it is easier to put into my small suv.  Also I stopped trying to put the bag on my hub when I take it down.  I just bungee it because when I get home I dry it out in my basement.  Also I fish with my old man and he needs to stretch and move around a little and the hub allows that.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 10, 2017, 01:02 PM »
Maybe I should try a bungee cord next time.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 13, 2017, 11:04 PM »
Maybe I should try a bungee cord next time.

Or try small cinch straps (like for a sleeping bag).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I have a good friend with MD who was a die hard pop up guy until this weekend. A smoking deal on a new otter cabin came up and I convinced him to grab it. Once we set it up, he smiled and said, " that's it?"  He doesn't have the strength anymore to fight a pop up in the wind during tear down and set up. He would set up once and that's it. We went out Sunday, set up the otter. No fish, flip back and move. No muss, no fuss.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.