Author Topic: Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv on ice ... initial review!  (Read 3874 times)

Online Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv on ice ... initial review!
« on: Mar 01, 2017, 06:33 PM »
First, to summarize some details from several other related threads --- I purchased a Garmin echoMAP 75sv in Spring 2016 to create my own lake maps on the water ... works great! In the fall removed the echoMAP from my boat and (temporarily) converted as a portable GPS unit in order to find desirable structure while out on the ice; the side-scan skimmer transducer would definitely not be suitable for hardwater use! I would have ordered the GT8HW-IF ice ducer right away but was informed by Garmin that it would NOT work with my Garmin non-CHIRP sonar. Since I wanted a slightly smaller sonar/charplotter to use on ice as well as on a second smaller boat in the summer (or as a secondary unit on my large boat), I acquired an echoMAP CHIRP 53dv at a reasonable clearout price (the newer models have the 'cv' designation) and the ice transducer. That combination works fine on the ice, the review is below. However, as a test, I swapped the GT8HW-IF ice ducer out to my (non-CHIRP) echoMAP 75sv and discovered that they actually do work together after all!

***Brief initial ON-THE-ICE REVIEW of the Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv sonar/chartplotter with GT8HW-IF transducer***

The Garmin Quickdraw Contours mapping feature is great for creating contour maps (on the water) and scouting desired lake structure and marking/returning to waypoints (locations). This review focuses on the sonar performance.

Mounted the units onto an old battery booster pack containing a newer 12V 7ah sealed lead acid (SLA) battery.

Upon first power-up with the ice transducer connected, select 'Settings - My Vessel - Transducer Type - GT8HW'.

Reduced the backlight for operation inside the shanty ... 'Settings - System - Display - Backlight - 60%' with continuous day mode 'Settings - System - Display - Color Mode - Day'.

Had the line in the same (9" diameter) hole as the transducer, ice thickness about 30 inches. Noticed some undesirable returns with the transducer touching the side of the ice or very high up in the hole, so re-positioned it to about 2 feet depth and ever-so-slightly away from the sides for a reasonably clear 'view' down through the water column.

Targeting walleye and perch, I prefer the 'Sonar - Split Zoom' display with 5-ft bottom lock on left (press 'MENU - Span - 5ft') and full water column on the right. On the bottom lock (BL) display, zero (0) denotes the lake bottom. Pressing the [+] button increases the zoom range; from the 5 ft zoom, one press increases to 10 ft, then each subsequent press increases an additional 10 feet ... such as 5 - 10 -2 0 - 30 - 40 - etc. Pressing the [-] button reduces the zoom, eventually down to the minimum 5 foot zoom.

It seems that whenever the unit is powered off/on, the 'MENU - Gain' reverts back to one of the 'Auto' levels (Auto Low, Auto Med or Auto High). Changed the gain to manual setting around 45% or so for the particular depth ('MENU - Gain', press the up or down scroll arrow to enter manual mode, then scroll left to reduce the level percentage'); it's just a minor inconvenience to have to do every time, if necessary.

Two frequencies are available for selection in the corresponding 'MENU - Frequency' section ... "CHIRP" or "200 kHz". In the conditions tested, I felt the 200 kHz frequency setting provided a cleaner return than CHIRP (tried various gain settings); the depth displayed was slightly different as well ... see the screenshots below. The lure is just over a foot off bottom; the mass of returns between the depths of 5 and 10 ft is a school of baitfish passing by.

200 kHz below

CHIRP below

Below is a screenshot showing what may have been a closely knit group of curious yet non-feeding small walleyes ... didn't even get a nibble out of that! Notice the brief depth change when I jigged the lure ... a very thin layer of ice had formed at the top of the hole and the line movement had caused the transducer float to move slightly.

Works fine so far. Haven't yet been out for a long enough stretch to comment on the power consumption / battery life. Questions? ... Comments? ... Let's hear 'em.  ;D
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Garmin echoMAP CHIRP 53dv on ice ... initial review!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2017, 02:14 AM »
This is terrific!! You've got the beginnings of a finely detailed review, and I really hope you will continue adding additional chapters.

I just bought a 45cv and haven't even set it up yet. You're probably aware there is very little info on the Echomap, in particular user reviews. I'm pretty sure a comprehensive assessment will do double duty and provide valuable info for those who are looking to buy and for those who want to learn how to use their Echomaps.

I'll keep looking forward to future updates you may add. Great job, keep it up  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Online Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2017, 10:24 AM »
Thanks dekatronic, hope the 45cv works out great for you!

As for my setup, it turned out the 'new' 7aH SLA battery was a real POS, it lost power much too quickly. I confirmed the battery was the problem, definitely not the sonar. So for this season I've been using it with a (much heavier!) 34aH deep cycle battery (that I already had) all mounted in a kitty litter pail ... holds the sonar well up off the ice, lasts for days and also powers a super-bright LED light strip in my hardside shack when necessary.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2017, 04:36 PM »
Wow 34ah :blink: :blink: :blink: Must be a beast to haul but yeah you'll have plenty of juice to run the sonar plus anything else for days.

I'm looking at a 10ah 12v agm type battery so hopefully it will be enough to power my 45cv for at least a day or two of fishing. Short of buying one of Garmin's portable ice bags which in my opinion are expensive, I'm thinking of getting a mount that is portable but also enables me to install on my boat. Something like this ....

Battery is in a waterproof housing, and there's also a transducer mount. With this I could install in a bag or bucket for ice fishing. Incidentally these are made in Canada an hour away from me so they can customize to what I need.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Great review, thank you!

Offline Cal64

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2017, 09:31 AM »
Great review, I wish it was here when I was trying to figure out my 53cv. Garmin manuals and on line tutorials suck. I was however very impressed with customer service whenever I had to call in. I run mine with similar settings, but have also turned on my A-scope, this expands your most recent data and aids in hook set.
Sonar/split zoom/menus/sonar set up/appearance/A-scope- on.give this a try, I really like it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.