The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Caspian  (Read 17116 times)

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
Re: Caspian
« Reply #120 on: Mar 17, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I feel like I should have checked my tire pressure, waited for a cloud before rifling that fillet-o-fish, and watch Jerry Springer.

C'mon guys.... We are all pretty....
Best day to fish, is on work days. Everyone knows that.  ;D
Chasing Ice

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #121 on: Mar 17, 2017, 11:16 AM »
For me, it seems like the best day to fish is always yesterday.   "Shoulda been here yesterday" or "We nailed 'em good here yesterday, but nothings biting today ... now that you showed up"

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #122 on: Mar 17, 2017, 11:25 AM »
For me, it seems like the best day to fish is always yesterday.   "Shoulda been here yesterday" or "We nailed 'em good here yesterday, but nothings biting today ... now that you showed up"
x2. wish I had a dollar for every time I have said that!
Chasing Ice

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Mar 17, 2017, 11:30 AM »
x2. wish I had a dollar for every time I have said that!

Zactly what we should have done last Saturday! Was it cloudy out or sunny that day? Wind was blowing so hard I never opened my eyes!
Jig em up!

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #124 on: Mar 17, 2017, 12:19 PM »

Too funny, but mostly true!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Mar 17, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Show me some night Lakers pics  ::) that YOU caught.  Matt, it is like you to discuss the antithesis and I am using great restraint in not posting the boring science of the fish you apparently ignore.  Sadly you will never know a 20 plus Laker day on the ice because you're convinced it doesn't make a difference...more for me!

Sounds like another 20 something year old  kid  who thinks he's an expert. Lakers are not that hard of fish to target. Sorry but it's true.
If the fish is hungry they're going to eat. Doesn't matter what the pressure is or weather or light.
Maybe you need some sort of recognition for catching some Lake trout ? I'm not sure. Most successful fisherman and woman don't need that.
But maybe you didn't get the attention you needed as a child so your trying to make up for that.
Whatever.
I don't mean any disrespect so don't throw a temper tantrum.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
Caspian
« Reply #126 on: Mar 17, 2017, 12:54 PM »

I've caught lakers at night on a new moon, full moon, early morning, mid day an at
dusk. They feed, sleep on the bottom and repeat. I do think some lakes do have slightly
different feeding patterns than others. Caspian is notorious for being done at 8:30.
I prefer the half hour before sunrise "prime time". I've caught lakers at Seymour at any
time of the day but sunrise and dusk is best - low light periods.

HW - x2 anyday your skipping work fishing with a fishamanic "brother" is best.   

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #127 on: Mar 17, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Indeed, a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day. ;D

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #128 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Indeed, a bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day. ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVj47t1fuKs
Billy Currington says it all right here. Don't pay attention to my Dad, his friend and his friend's son catching giant Ontario Kings, just listen to the song. ;D   :whistle:
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:53 PM »
There ya go, Perch Bait proved it!👍👍👍

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Mar 17, 2017, 03:54 PM »

8.  Perchbait should be the outdoor writer at the Burlington Free Press.   

10.can.  Walleye are more interesting than trout and should be stocked in Moore Reservoir.

I agree with Ice and Snow 100%!

Offline Bob8470

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Mar 18, 2017, 05:57 PM »
HI, how much ice is on caspian? Any bad spots right now?

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Mar 19, 2017, 04:24 AM »
HI, how much ice is on caspian? Any bad spots right now?

Trout season ended on March 15th.

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #133 on: Mar 19, 2017, 08:31 AM »

3.  All predator fish, including lake trout, can feed in the dark or under full sun, but have a preferred light level that is neither full darkness or full daylight. 

4.  This preferred light level typically corresponds with early morning and late afternoon/evening, but can also occur in other parts of the day if the sky is cloudy and overcast. 

My two cents. I raise the broodstock lakers for the State of Vermont. I've noticed that the broodstock tend to be more active feeders when it is an overcast day than say a bright sunny summer day. Granted they are only in 2 feet of water and have blue board insulation as shade. If you pull the covers off them to clean on a sunny day....they freak. They still freak if you pull the covers on a overcast day, but not as much. There are a mutitude of other variables that will effect feeding, like being pre or post spawn.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #134 on: Mar 19, 2017, 11:40 AM »
Zactly what we should have done last Saturday! Was it cloudy out or sunny that day? Wind was blowing so hard I never opened my eyes!
Hahaa. I couldn't tell you... my eyes were flash froze as that laker you took for dens.
Chasing Ice

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:25 AM »
Anybody on here remember the opener bout 25 yrs ago on Seymour twas 40 above at night pouring rain and 40 below come morning.. man we used to own that lake. Wrangled up some good fish too! BTW browns r the best eating in Seymour..good luck with that ...Potato hole..sunken island..wolfs point bud zone go deep catch big

That was 30 years ago, we were staying at a camp on Big Averill. We fired up the snowmachine (finally) in the AM and the rain had froze the throttle wide open,it promptly crashed into the trees dragging the operator for awhile until he had the sense to let go! We had a bobhouse in the potato hole for years back when seumour was an 8 tip-up lake. gotta love laker fishing !

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:28 AM »
From catching thousands o' lakers thru the years.. low light is the time for best catch. I've had descent catches on blue bird but only when the bite is on. oh and.. its really fun to catch 20 and 30 pounders

;D

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #137 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:33 AM »
I fished Seymour 30 years old, 1st weekend in Feb. We rented out the Seymour Lodge a gang of about 20 of us. Sat was a cold day, came in an had dinner walked out on the porch about 6:30 it -33
I checked the temp at day break -43 on the porch. I still have the Burl Free Press clipping the official temp in Morgan was -47  That was the only morning in 30 years of ice fishing weekends we did not set up. :)

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #138 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:10 AM »
Coldest I've fished was -20 opening day on Caspian 10 yrs ago or so.  Buddy had just bought a new Shappell shanty with the plastic floor.  Set up tipups, then set shanty up.  First step into shanty shattered the plastic floor!

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #139 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Seymour sure can be a cold spot.  Perchbait and I were setting up there at daybreak a few years ago at -17F ... I think that's the coldest temp we've ever fished in.  Pretty sure we would stayed inside if it was -43, though! 

Offline Vrmontrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:39 AM »
Ditto!  -43 equals stay inside and feed the woodstove!

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Mar 23, 2017, 07:31 AM »
it was -15 this day, and we didn't have a shanty or a heater.  This was the only flag of the day, but he didn't mind...

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #142 on: Mar 23, 2017, 12:16 PM »
I've fished many a day at -15 to -25 Seymour, Willy and Averills can be cold as all hell.
Caspian's & Willy wind has driven me into the woods a couple times to make a fire.
Nothing quite like the Willy - hypothermia shake to get your attention. Yeah as I get
older looking forward to open water - I hear they catch big bass down south in Jan.  :tipup:

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Mar 23, 2017, 05:17 PM »
We hit Willoughby  about 15 years ago on opening day(yes a cold winter) and it was 27 below but no wind, we had Devil's Rock ALL to ourselves and limited out on very nice lakers/salmon by nine am. The group still talks about that opening day ! :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.