The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: atlantic salomn  (Read 749 times)

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
atlantic salomn
« on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:17 AM »
Could an atlantic salmon made its way into big platte lake? I'm almost positive I caught one this past weekend. ice fishing in 6 FOW . Also landed a 37" northern in 5FOW.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: atlantic salomn
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2017, 01:10 PM »
There was a population of them in the big lake back in the 80's.  I remember catching a few back then running a boat out of Frankfort.  They could have made it up to platte but I dont think they were ever planted in the river.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:05 PM »
the weir is open so they must have made it up. caught it on a grey hali with black stripes and wax worm. Allthough I think it my have been more interested in all the 2" perch in the area. it has the x like spots on it and I couldn't figure out what it was until I looked it up. At first I thought it was a small chinock

Offline benzie rover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 11:32 AM »
It's possible, but seems pretty odd. More likely a mis-identified brown trout, which are a fairly common by-catch in the lake. That said, the DNR has been raising Atlantics at the Platte River Hatchery upstream for a couple years now, but they should not be large adults yet. I guess it could be a juvenile that escaped and was living in the river for a year or so and they made it down to the lake. How big was it?

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:30 AM »
It was 16" definitely not a brown trout.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.