Author Topic: Pigeon!!! This time I mean it :)  (Read 938 times)

Offline SNAPFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pigeon!!! This time I mean it :)
« on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Had a great day at Gull on Saturday with the burbs running every direction. Fished with some good buds and had a heck of a good time.

Today, I head out to Pigeon - day 2 of the weekend.  So I get out, get set up, and start jigging and have the jaw jacking in a 2nd hole.   I kept seeing marks on the bottom that would only come up maybe 3 feet.  After working the spoon for a  bit I got 1 to follow and hooked it.  Ended up being a 12 inch walleye.....   good to see natural recruitment but nothing to get too excited about.   Repeat this about ...6 times.

This kept on for a bit while the wind absolutely howled by.  Seemed like a waste and I was wishing to be at Gull amongst the burbs.

Around 11 a.m. sound the usual mark at the bottom but this time it came up quicker and formed a 3 bar red line....pulled the WW up a bit...pulled a bit more up... and wham!!!  The jaw jacker goes off as the 3 red lines converge with the green one... Start reeling right away and get the fish up right near the bottom...the it ran...and ran.....and ran........and ran.......then.....it ran..........

Not wanting to be fooled by another 4 lber.   I just kept at it and kept fighting back.  Finally saw the fish.......super tank!!!  I knew I had a really big white that I've been waiting for.   It was a quite a back and forth for about 10 minutes.   I didn't panic and just kept steady tension on.   Finally turned the head into the hole, which was not easy, and pulled it up with the hook squarely in the nose.   Pulled it out and knew I had something big.  Went back to fishing. :)

Had quite a few more follows and some really close calls with more whites but nothing more.  Also managed to land a 5-6 lb pike which fought really well too.  That was it.

Pics:

Tank!!!

Nice pike!!

Holy!.....

Yep, a new PB set on whites today at 6.4 lbs and 25.25 inches!!!  Yes!!!   
Finally landed one of those big ones that usually swim off.
So that is 5 for 5 trips to Pigeon, 6 whites in 5 trips,  and a new PB to top it off.  Totally stoked over this.  What a great weekend this has been!
  Hope it was good to you all!

Offline Fish-Taco

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Pigeon!!! This time I mean it :)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Awesome job! Those whiteys look amazing. 6.4 lbs is a tank! Keep up the good work!

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
Re: Pigeon!!! This time I mean it :)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2017, 07:59 PM »
Damn SNAP! Good for for you bro! Yesterday and today on cold Lake were brutally slow. Marked lots of fish but could not get them to bite! I'll be back to try for them again in the near future. In the mean time... I have some PB's to chase myself! Still gotta catch up for some fish one of theE days soon!  :tipup:
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.