New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Some Ice Season 2017 Pictures  (Read 2552 times)

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Some Ice Season 2017 Pictures
« on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Well , I did not post many ice outings this year due to limited ice at times and some sketchy conditions at and near some places I was fishing,  no real outstanding catches, and photobucket issues at times.

Biggest disappointment for me this season  was the ice on Oneida, limiting where and when I could fish, and most people not being able to use the snowmobile up there for almost the whole season. My sled stayed parked the whole year. Only fished for walleye once there, (no keepers) and had to settle for some perch fishing, but that is always fun anyway.

Fished some North east Pa. lakes , Wallenpaupack was mainly coves, .. I fished Sullivan County NY lakes near Monticello had some decent ice and fishing too.

It was KInd of like the " old days" season for me......on foot the whole season( ATV and Snowmobile stayed parked ), sat on a bucket all season(used shanty only once), and chased panfish mostly.

Highlight for this season :Had some real good, drag pulling action fixes with the Largemouth Bass in Pa.....lot's of throwbacks with the 15" size limit, but was able  to get my 4 fish limit twice.

Looking forward to next season, and hoping for lot's of cold temps. and plenty of good , hard, thick, safe ice everywhere !
Here's a few pics from the season

Panfishing big 3 faves, 1 hole, back to back to back...surprised me...fun

Chameleon bluegill

Sharing the bounty

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Some Ice Season 2017 Pictures
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:57 AM »
Great pictures Choo...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Very nice choo choo.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:57 AM »

Nice pics Steve thanks for sharing

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Thanks fella's
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:47 PM »
Nice pics. How do you like the Eskimo?

Offline outdoors4good

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:06 PM »
Nice pics.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:42 PM »
Great pics as usual Steve!!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline LingFling

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Love the Eagle and Hawk pics. Nice fish too. Thanks.
Get Out And Enjoy!

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:48 PM »
Awesome photos Choo Choo! Thanks, it looks like gourmet panfishin' to me. ;D
Beautiful Redtail and Eagle. I once watched a Bald Eagle devour a whole cottontail rabbit!
When he was done, he wiped his beak on a limb and took off! Mother Nature at her finest.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:06 AM »
Nice pics. How do you like the Eskimo?
Just got it after Christmas , 8 inch, and I really like it. Starts 1 pull , no choke or priming, clean, no mess , runs and cuts real smooth and plenty fast. Can be laid down on any side with no issues of leaking crankcase oil etc (just not upside down). Real Good warranty if any problems arise. 31 lbs..It is my thick ice machine for future  seasons.

Found a December sale, free shipping, $400.00.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2017, 06:52 AM »
some great photos,real nice fish,thanks for sharing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Nice pics Steve. You need to get back to the river when the water recedes

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Beautiful fish picks and love the Eagle. Neat when you see other wildlife. I saw Mink for the first time on the ice the other day

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:32 AM »
What water are you fishing where it is legal to take LM Bass through the ice? Down here in the southern Catskills we do catch a lot of them in the hard water but the season is closed so they get to fight again this summer. Trout are also off limits except in a very few designated lakes down here.

Real nice pics and this sure was a weird season. Better than last years with no safe ice to speak of at all but still not as good as in the past. I can't explain it but some lakes here had safe ice and up to a foot while others that usually do freeze fast and hard never really did. Too many good fishing days where we needed planks and ladders just to get on the safe ice. I get afraid in the mornings when we can get on at the shore line but by the end of the day it is hard getting off because the shore broke up. One of my favorite reservoirs down here had a foot of good ice on one side and wide open water on the other side toward the west. It was however pretty nice dragging the sled this year with very little snow on top. Hope next season is a lot better.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Sammon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2017, 08:23 AM »
Book Em Danno

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:33 AM »
What water are you fishing where it is legal to take LM Bass through the ice? Down here in the southern Catskills we do catch a lot of them in the hard water but the season is closed so they get to fight again this summer.

in some of the finger lakes bass are legal to keep in winter.   

Trout are also off limits except in a very few designated lakes down here

I hear they still stock BIG trout down there  ;)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2017, 10:56 AM »
in some of the finger lakes bass are legal to keep in winter.   

I hear they still stock BIG trout down there  ;)

I never looked at the regs for up that way but it sure does say Bass are legal unlike here. Yes, a few lakes and streams do still get some bigger trout stocking but most of us here think it is pure BS what the DEC claims. I'm more inclined to believe those big breeder trout end up in private ponds along the way.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2017, 02:57 PM »
I don't see anywhere in NYS that any bass are legal through the ice. Strictly catch and release. But his profile does say PA /NY and it may be legal there.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:07 PM »
I don't see anywhere in NYS that any bass are legal through the ice. Strictly catch and release. But his profile does say PA /NY and it may be legal there.

Check the rule book under Finger lakes region, 3rd Sat. in June through March 15th.

Offline hunt4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:46 PM »
He said in the post he caught the bass in Penn! Now read the Pa. regs and turn him into the DEC, because the next question will be did he bring them across the state line.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2017, 04:00 PM »
He said in the post he caught the bass in Penn! Now read the Pa. regs and turn him into the DEC, because the next question will be did he bring them across the state line.

I don't have the PA regs and really don't care! His profile says both PA and Lordville, NY so the bass pics could be from a NY Finger lakes trip. I just had no idea bass were legal anywhere in NY through the ice but I got the answer and they are in most of the finger lakes.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:06 PM »
 Hi guy's ...no need to argue or get uptight.

There are actually other places where bass are legal during the winter months in NY    ....2 are right  here  in Sullivan County  New York. The Bashakill is one and the Delaware river is also. Not many ice fishing opportunities on the Upper Delaware , but I have seen guy's catch bass through the ice on the Delaware while walleye fishing at the Big Eddy at Narrowsburg NY  during cold winters.

BTW, this is the only time of year I keep bass . They are actually very good eating during the winter....thick, white, firm and tasty fillets. My neighbor also makes a delicious fish stew  with the bass.

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:44 PM »
I fish NY and PA .It is legal in Pa to keep bass small or large mouth thru the ice over 15 inches. choo is right they taste great in the winter.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.