The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice forming principles  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice forming principles
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:41 PM »
I don't have the real life experience to know the answer to this question. With the warm weather, ice in many places is not the same quality it was earlier this winter. If we get cold weather again, what effect will this have on the ice? If the ice has been compromised, will the cold temps restabilize the ice or is that permanently changed? Would the change be new quality ice under the old damaged ice?

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
Re: Ice forming principles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:19 PM »
All ice is different. It's tough 2 really explain each lake is different many different variables. I would say go around and actually put your feet on the ice and watch it with your own 2 eyes, 2 get more familiar with good and bad ice when it gets 2 later march early April the temps get warm "keep your piks with ya at all times" if you go in just climb on out get familiar with going in. So when or if it happens your ready. Real life experience is the best learning tool.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Be smart, wear a life jacket, spud bar and carry picks. If you find questionable ice get off. It will refreeze but it's not the same.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Jdoub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Thanks to both of you. Good advice. I have read several articles the past couple of years on what to do if you fall in; fantastic actual demo video out there.  We bought the ice pics that go around your neck and wore them all weekend on Holter last Sunday as I prefer to side with caution.

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:57 PM »
This was posted last year and it's a great website to help with understanding hard water. I always find something new on here when I look. Some cool stuff!

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline CatchDeFeesh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:05 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpfL33Fz2w

This video is also in the Candled Ice section of the website I posted above. Makes me think twice about fishing on honeycombed ice.

Offline icefich

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2017, 01:33 PM »
Hey CatchDeFeesh! I just wanted to say thanks for posting this link. I have always been pretty conservative about ice strength when fishing. This link is great! Lots of interesting things to read and a wealth of knowledge for new and old ice fishermen alike. Thank you for the kind service. Hopefully it will help keep us on the dry side of the ice. Tight lines, and good fishing to you Sir!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2017, 06:38 PM »
well...I guess the best advice I have..is people break thru early..and again late...2 or 3 inches of clear ice will hold ya..5 to 10 inches of cloudy milky ice..will kill ya...cloudy milk white ice...don't trust it..if ya got a couple inches of clear...good to go...this is hoofing not vehicle advice..mind ya..

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:59 AM »
As the days get longer, the sun is higher in the sky, it's shining more directly on the ice, and has more time to deteriorate the ice.  The warmest part of the day is lasting longer now, and colder night time temps have shortened.  Things can change in a hurry.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2017, 03:55 PM »
I'm over it. Bring on the open water!!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2017, 04:31 PM »
As the days get longer, the sun is higher in the sky, it's shining more directly on the ice, and has more time to deteriorate the ice.  The warmest part of the day is lasting longer now, and colder night time temps have shortened.  Things can change in a hurry.
I happened to be here on the Montana site posting something and noticed this post. I thought I might share what happened to my local pond in mass. I was on 9" of clear ice with slush on top, on Friday and then went to look at it Sunday, I was SHOCKED! I fished it 3 days in a row with 60's to low 70's without really seeing any change other than the snow ice going fast. Then another day or so it went from 9" on Friday to 0" on Sunday it was 60's to low 70's on Saturday with rain too. "Things can change in a hurry" is a perfect statement!

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:56 PM »
I happened to be here on the Montana site posting something and noticed this post. I thought I might share what happened to my local pond in mass. I was on 9" of clear ice with slush on top, on Friday and then went to look at it Sunday, I was SHOCKED! I fished it 3 days in a row with 60's to low 70's without really seeing any change other than the snow ice going fast. Then another day or so it went from 9" on Friday to 0" on Sunday it was 60's to low 70's on Saturday with rain too. "Things can change in a hurry" is a perfect statement!

that's craazaayy...there are reasons why eskimos have a couple of dozen words for snow..so many different variables..what I was talking about in an earlier post in this thread...was how the ice sets in the fall/early winter.....lets say you have solid clear ice..then you have snow and slush..that refreezes..so mid winter..you might be..wow..we got a foot plus of ice....but the majority is frozen slush/snow..so without that base layer of clear ice...you are taking your life in your hands when the spring thaw comes around....if you don't auger thru at least a couple inches of clear.. I would heed warning....rotten milky ice is mostly snow and slush..and when it thaws...you can go straight thru...low 70's...would make anyone from Alaska to ohio nervous bout ice..specially if the nite temps didn't get below freezing....

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Absolutely agree, I stay off ice with no solid base! I've seen 8" of snow ice scrape away in one warm day fishing Cape Cod area. What shocked us was there was 9" of clear (with some air bubbles). But it was 55 on Saturday morning when I headed north to better ice. From 6pm Friday to about noon on Sunday, it all vanished. I wish I had a time lapse showing it melt away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.