Author Topic: Great Season in CT  (Read 1507 times)

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
Great Season in CT
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:21 AM »
Had a great season this year.  Started before Christmas and landed my personal best brown through the ice at 23.5" and very fat.  Also managed a few salmon.  Closed the season with 5 straight days that ended last evening as I hit Mount Tom for a couple of hours after work.  We even checked one off from the bucket list by spending the night at West Side.  We had to be careful and fish places more than a few times due to limited access on many bodies of water.  I'm lucky to live near the Northwestern icebox.
Thanks to all of the good friends I fished with; both old and new.  It's never about how many fish we catch, who catches the biggest, or how many perch we can jig up.  It was always about getting outside to enjoy the sport that we love.  Lots of great BBQ lunches, a few beers, and some moonshine.  I may even have to look for a new firepit since mine is getting very brittle.  Cross your fingers for lots of safe ice next season.
Tight lines and Fishon!
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline onepin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Great Season in CT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:38 PM »
It was a fun season even though a bit short. It was nice to see you again Scott on the ice with your dogs. We chatted the day the ballons came to mt tom and my chair went for a sail all the way across the lake. Don't fret over the fire pit as I made an awesome one for the next year, its light and large. Anyone see us out there with it going come on over.   Rick

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:46 PM »
At the end of every ice season I always want more, though I got out every chance I had this year.  :'( It was better than last year and I only had one bad trip, and only got completely skunked two times.

I'm not putting away my ice gear just yet, hoping to give Bigelow at least one more try- I want to ice a trout! When the ice isn't fishable on Bigelow anymore I'll have to put the stuff away because gas is so $$$ expensive.

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:45 PM »
good evening mc.k  right on with the company we keep to make a great day. Glad to have picked at the awesome offerings from the pit bro for the last couple years. shes tired but can see a better era coming up..thanks scott for evry ting mon.see ya down the road

Offline shoey19663

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:37 PM »
Enjoyed a great season  :tipup:, met some really great people out on the ice this year. Good times and good laughs all around. Enjoyed some good food too.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:47 PM »
I made my last trip to Bigelow. After checking around with my spud bar I decided to stay in one small area because the ice was going fast. Two pickerel kept me from getting bored, had a tiny one really put up a fight- he was NOT happy even though I told him he was very pretty lol. Alas, no trout.  :'( Got my feet wet getting off. While I was there I saw someone pull up with a canoe and leave, they'll be using that soon.

Going to be putting my ice fishing gear away this weekend.

Offline fishndog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Hey Y'all. I think its time to put the ice gear away till next year! It was a very productive year for me up in the cold corner. Got to fish often since i retired not to long ago. Met a lot of really cool people and made some new friends! Sometimes i stood around more just jaw jackin than fishin but isn't that what its all about? Good Times!!! Dog Out.............
Enjoy, Be Smart, and Tight Lines!

Offline Mrowinsky

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice fishing is a social event. Meet!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:41 AM »

I HATE the thought of it, but I think I'm finished for the season.  I may try to find some ice WAAAY north for one more trip.

Anyone up for a road trip?

Mike

Offline MartyMarPlv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:52 AM »
I too had a good season, was out before Christmas this year. Made a couple trips to NH for lakers and fished the NW corner a bunch. First time on Dog pond and Tyler. I caught my first bullhead at Tyler and a PB lake trout on lake Winnepesaukee. Early on I was able to fish my local pond a couple times. I met icechaser and his cousin out there. I made buddies with Tom from tags bait and tackle  and also met Octane and his buddies down there. Never was able to get out anywhere for some walleye action but theirs always next year. Now it's time to get ready for the open water

Offline te-pe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2017, 08:14 AM »
mornin everybody  got to end it yesterday @ west side with some nice panfish. ice fishing in 70* weather is odd. great season all in all met up with some old friends and found some new.Can't  beat that in this life.good way to go out fishndog!!! (more talkin than fishing?) i heard matt shoes say something about that.  Time to trans. to the open water gear..see yall out there somewhere ltr.

Offline mattshoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Was another great season. Not as long as I would have liked but did get out before christmas and finished last weekend. Got my girlfriend (whitecamochick) out twice. Fished with my brother a several time, my cousin a couple times and fishoninct many times. Met some new people that I'm sure I'll see again soon: te-pe and fishndog. Ate lots of great food thanks to mayor McKay, fishndog and Broken Joe (not an ice shanty member). Worked a school event on the ice with Mayor McKay and helped a few young fledgling fisherkids ice their first fish. Caught my 1st salmon ever. Didn't think I would meet someone that could out talk mayor McKay but fishndog may actually have him beat. Definitely a shorter than expected season but I have many good memories, which is what it really is about - creating memories.
As mayor McKay says.....fishon

Offline imsafanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2017, 06:02 PM »
This year was my best so far. Started in December w/ a spur of the moment invite to the NW part of the state w/ Jon, tried Mansfield a couple times (once w/ Vin...good times!) and I did some really good work at Mash. I'm feeling much more confident in my ice fishing abilities. Short season for sure especially considering everyone in my family was sick for the last 3 weeks.

But now back to open water. I had an hour to fish earlier today and I slammed a nice lady pickerel FULL of eggs from shore at Keeney, on my first cast. Spirits are up at the yak is strapped to the top of the Forester for a full day of fishing tomorrow, possibly to Pachaug. I'm excited!

-Eric

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Be careful that water will kill ya just as quick now as when it had ice on top.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2017, 03:48 PM »
Congrats on a good season. Personally I had the worst season ever. Last season I got out 15 times didn't have any banner days but had a good season. This year 4 times twice skunked and the other 2 I struggled to get bites. This season couldn't end soon enough. I hope this isn't a preview of the rest of my fishing year.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.