Author Topic: 1 MORE WEEKEND  (Read 2102 times)

Offline SmashLip

• IceShanty Rookie
1 MORE WEEKEND
« on: Feb 22, 2017, 01:40 PM »
could only be one more chance to fish after this weather. I am looking for ice condition reports around the Concord latitude,. can't drive much further on saturday. anybody got any info?

Offline Jacktrapfever36

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 1 MORE WEEKEND
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Not quite Concord but on bow lake in Strafford/northwood I had over 12" of ice and no slush/slop to fight with. However my hardside had a hole under it thanks to the solar loss. Needless to say she's back in the yard. Check as you go.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Maybe just 1 more week if you plan on hauling all your gear and shanty out, but not so if you can deal with hauling by hand and using a portable or no shelter at all.

Starts getting into "planking" weather, but it also means a heightened sense of awareness if you do so!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline SmashLip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:15 PM »
RIGHT ON

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:08 PM »
Went out yesterday on a small lake that still had 16" of ice. Slop on top of it though.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Definitely ain't over, there's enough ice to carry us through march I'd say. I was on 22-24" sunday. You'll probably have to get outside of Concord though. Like fishermantim said, edges will pop first, but once you get on should be no problem still on most lakes Concord and north.
Good luck.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:03 PM »
Hoping to get out for the next 2 weekends at the very least.   Had 15 plus last wkd on the big lake and a smaller pond near the tuftonborough area. Only worry for me is old holes opening up and the lake edges due to the fact I'll be bringing my 2 young children.   March fishing is my favorite just gotta be careful.  Not quite ready to get working on the boat yet!!!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:15 PM »
Hoping to get out for the next 2 weekends at the very least.   Had 15 plus last wkd on the big lake and a smaller pond near the tuftonborough area. Only worry for me is old holes opening up and the lake edges due to the fact I'll be bringing my 2 young children.   March fishing is my favorite just gotta be careful.  Not quite ready to get working on the boat yet!!!
15 inches can go relatively quick when it is 40-50 degrees everyday

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:08 PM »
Yup.   Realize that.    Been doing this for 40 years.   As I said use your head and common sense and enjoy spring ice fishing.   

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:19 AM »
no need to panic folks...even though I wouldn't mind seeing the nitro back in the driveway
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:22 AM »
easily 3 weeks left...  no worries
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:27 AM »

X2 - Heading out now.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:14 AM »
You guys are negative Nancies. Temps drop next week and long term puts March colder than average. We will have hardwater to fish until salmon season, easy.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:45 AM »
Not as much the temps as the sun getting higher and warming the shore waters more and more.

If you can access from a western shore, you "might" have better luck and longer access than from eastern shores.

My personal theory (which also adds to my own comfort level) is like this....

take the temp of 32 F, which is freezing.
If the day temps are MORE degrees above 32 than the night temps are below, then you will lose ice.
If the day temps are FEWER degrees above 32 than the night temps are below, then more freezing will occur and stabilize the ice.
Add the warming caused by the late season sun, and you can only hope to keep whatever ice had already formed.

Unless we get a real deep freeze again, the season is rounding the clubhouse turn and heading for the finish line!
(Of course it may take a month to get there, but it will get there.)
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:09 PM »

:thumbsup:

Cooler up in the North County and Supposed to cool down again next week.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:21 PM »
:thumbsup:

Cooler up in the North County and Supposed to cool down again next week.

yup  and I'm on ( fishing) vacation  3/4 - 3/13... used last weekends slop fest as and excuse to "wuss" out  and service the truck and wheeler...now I'm ready to play.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:37 PM »
 ::)  Remember that Winni was ice free last March 18th?
Dick

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:28 PM »
::)  Remember that Winni was ice free last March 18th?
Dick

Yes but last year I believe Ice conditions weren't as good to begin with as this year. I know of several lakes/ponds that still have 18"+ of ice and it's supposed to get colder again after this weekend.

Not saying that people shouldn't be cautious. However... For those that have the experience and want to fish... There is still 2-3weeks left on some lakes I'd say

Offline SmashLip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:29 PM »
not being negative. looks like this weekend is out any way
fish on!

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:34 PM »
not being negative. looks like this weekend is out any way
fish on!

Dispy posted this on FB today and this is BIP in Southern NH... Plenty of places to fish up North still for a couple weeks anyway

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1527327754&tsid=0.5198105624128904&source=typeahead

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Last year my favorite lakes region lake never had more than 8" of ice..the edges stayed solid until mid march..this year..
There was 22" of ice a week ago..it'll be good for a while yet.  As always common sense needs to prevail. .no fish is wort dieing for

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:26 PM »
I fished Moore dam today ,had way over 12 inches of good ice!

Offline Sesuit7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:59 PM »
As I said just use your head and be careful.   These are the weeks icefishermen live for.  Warm temps and fish becoming active.   Hope the rain holds off for the weekend.    Good luck to all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.