The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: After season ends  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
After season ends
« on: Feb 22, 2017, 01:21 PM »
When the ice fishing season ends where does everyone on this forum go do you stay here or leave until next season. Was just wondering

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
Re: After season ends
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2017, 01:36 PM »
most guys go to myfishfinder.com you will find a lot of the same guys there but summer life tends to be busier and most of us dont post as much, but i think there are more members.
Only thing i love about ice out is carp season begins!!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2017, 02:48 PM »
X2 on carp season. I am still trying to surpass my PB of 33lbs. As far as sites go, I don't think anyone uses the RI board in myfishfinder but the MA board does have some action. Tis' the time of season to make some rigs for all species.
Just add water.

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:14 PM »
I go silent.  I read Ron Powers, see what I can get out of Tomo (in Salem), and spend my free time searching for mackerel and rocks that hold stripers. 

I have an ominous feeling that yesterday was my last day on the ice for the season...

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:17 PM »
YEAH CARP SEASON !!!

Thanks for reminding me, I would have sat around waiting for striper season to start...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:22 PM »
most guys go to myfishfinder.com you will find a lot of the same guys there but summer life tends to be busier and most of us dont post as much, but i think there are more members.
Only thing i love about ice out is carp season begins!!

I should introduce you to some of the guys I fish with in NY....they are nuts for carp.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I go to work and move thousands of yards of dirt and build the retaining walls that hold up shopping malls, sub developments  and home depots etc.  Occasionally hit the salt for stripers, tuna, sea bass.   

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Trout at ice out in my pond prowler..... then bass in my G3bass boat throughout the summer into fall( occasionally hit back waters with the pond prowler)...... then  fully back in the pond prowler for trout until ice again it is a glorious cycle of life. Every summer hit the cape for stripers as well!
Drill um and fill um........

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:18 PM »
Bullheads & catfish, trout, crappie and carp will keep me busy until pike/walleye/turkey season. Then its summer= camping, topwater bass fishing, swimming, bbq's and more camping. Then its the all time best time of year, HUNTING SEASON...I look forward to hunting season more than anything else, Cmon oct 1st!!!
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Speaking of carp...do anyone know when they normally spawn? Would love to bow fish for them.

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:53 PM »
The never ending search for bucketmouths goes on for me ice or no ice.

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Speaking of carp...do anyone know when they normally spawn? Would love to bow fish for them.

I bow fish for them , get ready to have the cops called on you lol.People have a hard time seeing a bass boat in there cove shooting a bow into the water. I only harvest a few for compost and a neighbor who eats them.I respect every life I take and use the entire fish. Carp guts have many uses great bullhead bait, fertilizer, bait fish chum, coyotes love carp as well.It is not as easy as it looks as well. Summer is the hot season for shallow action  either when the sun is at its highest or at night.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:17 PM »
The never ending search for bucketmouths goes on for me ice or no ice.
Ditto!

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:25 PM »
I have come upon a bunch of carp at the lake i usually ice fish at. No idea how to catch them though. They completely ignored my bait. It was shallow enough for me to see them.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:20 PM »
Wachusett should open on time at least! April 1!

Still hoping for one more weekend of ice however.

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Wachusett should open on time at least! April 1!

Still hoping for one more weekend of ice however.
I don't think it's gonna go this week. The hills should hold up ok. Might have to travel a little though.

Offline Gavins1800

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:31 AM »
Never got a carp seen a lot of 30 pounders at CT river was using worms bread almost everything they liked they are really hook shy

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:22 AM »
Bow fishing for carp in the backwaters of the Ct, river  in a around the Chicopee River  is a lot of fun...I was raised on that river...lol. You could tell back then what color the Paper /Cotten mills were running by the water in the Ct./Chicopee Rivers ::)Three Tunnels or the Two R.R. tressles hot spots in May...a plus in Apr./May is Shad/Stripers. I've taken some huge Smallies there and fishing off the Holyoke/Chicopee Bridge with cut Shad for cat fish....You can get direction at the Chicopee General store. I'm about to hag up my jigging stick for the season.. the sides of Forge Pd. in Granby are to wide for this 79 yr. old to jump...LOL See you next ice fishing season guys..keep a tight line :)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:09 AM »
I'll be on MFF and on my favorite kayak website, yakanglers.com. but I will be stopping in here from time to time just to see what's happening. By July I'll be watching every old icefishing video I can find.  ;)

Offline Icetrotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:24 AM »
As soon as April hits I'll be at the long Island sound every weekend fishing off 15 footer (as long as the weather is nice). I fish the CT river during the weekdays and other fresh water ponds

Offline protivakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:43 AM »
I usually spend the summer in my garage with various car-related projects. I do try to get out fishing a few times though.

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Got a couple project till turkey season. A smelt board with all rattle reels and a set of tip downs for panfish. Maybe bust out the fly rod I bought 3 years ago.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:32 AM »
A number of waterways I fish have carp....BIG carp....and I come across them when I'm out kayaking and fishing for whatever takes the lure.
I've seen them slowly cruising the shallows on warm sunny days, "tailing" amongst weeds while rooting for food, practically beaching themselves on muddy shallows looking for food in the reeds (last year was a banner year for this due to low water conditions).
Heck, I've even had one ram my kayak at night when I spooked it.

Only fished for them from shore, and managed a couple of real hogs (somewhere in the high teens to low 20's in weight)
People see the fish and don't realize just how challenging it can be to catch them.

But...once they do, they won't forget!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:13 PM »
MFF
 Pike at ice out
 Bass at the herring runs
 Striper spring run
 Striper
 Striper and Blues fall run
 Fall bass fishing
 Ice
  Kayak during the week
  Boat on weekends

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:39 PM »
I'm considering upgrading my kayak setup.  Does anyone have a Jackson kayak?  They look really nice and are about half the price of a Hobie.  I know Hobie's have the pedal propulsion system but that seems like overkill for most of the fishing that I do.  Particularly I'm thinking about the Jackson Cuda 12.  I'd be using it on local ponds and lakes and then occasionally in the saltwater (cape and LI sound).  After taking my 9 foot sit in kayak out in the salt and catching a big striper I've got the itch to do it again but I was very nervous in my current setup.
westernmas on the finder

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:33 PM »
I'm considering upgrading my kayak setup.  Does anyone have a Jackson kayak?  They look really nice and are about half the price of a Hobie.  I know Hobie's have the pedal propulsion system but that seems like overkill for most of the fishing that I do.  Particularly I'm thinking about the Jackson Cuda 12.  I'd be using it on local ponds and lakes and then occasionally in the saltwater (cape and LI sound).  After taking my 9 foot sit in kayak out in the salt and catching a big striper I've got the itch to do it again but I was very nervous in my current setup.

Yes for the Cuda 12. Very nice kayak and great for the salt. However, it is less stable than my Wilderness Systems Ride 115 and i preffer the Wilderness on open water. You may want to compare them side by side and make your own call. Both can be rigged as you wish. Tracking is slightly better on the Cuda.
Just add water.

Offline SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:46 PM »
I pratically live at wachusett reservoir after it opens up, then in the spring once the stripers heat up im patrolling up and down the canal and jigging for seabass in buzzards bay. Then once summer hits im patrolling the backside from ptown all the way to the backside of nantucket chasing bass,blues, and tuna. then during fall its back to wachusett for me and fishing the kettle ponds down the cape for trout as well as fishing the canal for the last few bass of the season. then its ice time again.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2017, 03:04 PM »
A number of waterways I fish have carp....BIG carp....and I come across them when I'm out kayaking and fishing for whatever takes the lure.
I've seen them slowly cruising the shallows on warm sunny days, "tailing" amongst weeds while rooting for food, practically beaching themselves on muddy shallows looking for food in the reeds (last year was a banner year for this due to low water conditions).
Heck, I've even had one ram my kayak at night when I spooked it.

Only fished for them from shore, and managed a couple of real hogs (somewhere in the high teens to low 20's in weight)
People see the fish and don't realize just how challenging it can be to catch them.

But...once they do, they won't forget!!!

one day fishing ice out for smallies with jerkbaits i spotted a few big carp. immediately went home and googled how to catch them. within an hour i had my first carp at about 16 lbs...been hooked ever since....there is so much too it! Carp fishing makes my head spin and i have barely scratched the surface! for me it a lot like ice fishing...i end up bring more gear then i need and you sit around and wait for a bite! I use electronic bite alarms that will scare the crap out of you when they strike...add to the fun! I would love to meet more people who are into it!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2017, 03:32 PM »
I started fishing for carp last year, and although I really like catching them, I hate the waiting part.
I know, I know, that's part of the allure. I usually spend hours paddling around in the kayak in search of bass, pike, pickerel and other panfish, so the sit and wait routine for carp is a change of pace.

BUT.....when they are biting, it's all good!!!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 25, 2017, 02:28 PM »
first tournament starts up in April, see you guys out there just look for the black  fully  enclosed boat trailer, in the parking lot and say hi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.