Author Topic: Lake Massabesic - Auburn  (Read 1479 times)

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Massabesic - Auburn
« on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:35 PM »
Had some bait leftover from the weekend and didn't want it to go to waste. Decided to head out to Massabesic and see how the ice was doing after all of this warmer weather. It's quite sketchy. I stayed about 25-50 yards off shore. Edges are almost completely open and made it difficult to get onto the ice where I was located along Route 121.

Had a flag within the first 1/2 hour or so. Reel was screaming and it took out about 25 feet of line but I ended up losing the fish. Was a little impatient. Did end up getting another flag about 45 minutes later and it ended up being a ECP. Only spent about 2 hours there and headed into work.

Offline NHice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Massabesic - Auburn
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:48 PM »
Caught a decent rainbow yesterday and a couple fat perch

Offline Jadler311

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:04 PM »
Looks like a great morning to be out on the ice.  :thumbsup:

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Caught a decent rainbow yesterday and a couple fat perch

Some yellow perch and/or a rainbow would've been nice. The ice where I was had about 5 inches of clear ice if you would call it that and then about 2-3 inches on top of crust/porous stuff.

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:15 PM »
Looks like a great morning to be out on the ice.  :thumbsup:

I will say that the weather was beautiful and it was nice and quiet out on the ice. Can't complain too much. Did have to get the boots wet getting onto the ice because of the edges but overall not a bad morning.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:40 PM »
The Manchvegas side of Massy is deadly right now. Never seen the ice conditions so poor, it's basically unfishable.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:03 PM »
The Manchvegas side of Massy is deadly right now. Never seen the ice conditions so poor, it's basically unfishable.

I did drive by that side to take a look and didn't even bother getting out of my vehicle to test the ice. Drove over to other side and there were areas even there that didn't look good. Far from what I had under me up in Paugus Bay this past weekend. We had almost 16 inches every hole we drilled up on Winni. The ice conditions in Massabesic is deteriorating very quickly.

I suggest anyone going out to drill as you go.

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Massy is weird like that. The edges go fast but if we have cold weather, they'll be back.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:46 AM »
Massy is weird like that. The edges go fast but if we have cold weather, they'll be back.

The Manch side is better suited for a boat. I know about the edges there, but the edges in this case are 300 feet out- all open water. Also 3 feet low water.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline FishGuy603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Togue1
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:44 AM »
The Manch side is better suited for a boat. I know about the edges there, but the edges in this case are 300 feet out- all open water. Also 3 feet low water.
In that case, I may need to break out the yak or travel north. It's a shame though, late ice action is spectacular in southern NH. I was really looking forward to that, thinking we were going to have a good winter

Offline troutman97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:43 AM »
I hear ya, Ashu. Caught a 3.5lb largemouth and a few trout hits last sunday and the ice was sketchy. This weekends rain is going to kill the edges.

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2017, 12:13 PM »
I hear ya, Ashu. Caught a 3.5lb largemouth and a few trout hits last sunday and the ice was sketchy. This weekends rain is going to kill the edges.

Nice! I was hoping for a few trout but it's all good either way.

The rain will destroy the edges and what's left of them. Going to be tough to fish safely there at all in the coming weeks. I'm going to head back up north

Offline bassfun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:50 PM »
a lot of open water on different parts of the lake

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:03 PM »
Heard that a snowmobile went through on Massy today.

Offline nhicefshr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Heard that a snowmobile went through on Massy today.

Negative, false alarm called in by someone onshore who was observing the gentlemen fishing about a half mile out.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:24 AM »
didn't look good the other day when I drove by to go to concord...curious to see the water levels after last years drought..it looked ugly last fall
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline FSH4FN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:01 AM »
didn't look good the other day when I drove by to go to concord...curious to see the water levels after last years drought..it looked ugly last fall

Yeah, I'll tell ya where I got onto the ice it seemed very low. I don't fish Massabesic often but the level felt real low. Ice didn't look nor feel good. The upcoming weather looks like it'll hurt the ice fishing season quite a bit. My hopes are that some of the bays like Meredith on Winni will make it through the patch. I won't be able to make it up until the following weekend...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.