The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: LMR koks muddy taste  (Read 647 times)

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
LMR koks muddy taste
« on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Posted this on the reports page as well. Quantosan posted a reply as to what causes a muddy taste but I am looking to see how many of you have experienced this on LMR. Friend of mine just smoked a batch of koks and he said half of them were muddy and tasted so bad he couldn't eat them. Heard the same from another fellas earlier this season about LMR koks. I wonder what's up. Have eaten bunches of them in previous years with no such experience. I'd like to hear your report on this or anyone else who has had a similar experience. I have 10 of them in the freezer that I haven't tried yet. Just ate a batch from Lake Blaine and they were great. Thanks.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LMR koks muddy taste
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Over here in the Idaho side the ones I have eaten have tasted great, the thing I noticed about them and always wondered was that out of 25 there will be about 5 or 6 that the meat is a very dark red as opposed to pinkish. It doesn't seem to change in the 4 lakes that I have caught them from. I can't find rhyme or reason as it varies from size and some are males and some are female, they're all silver, none have been in spawn mode. I don't know why the meat is darker but I know those ones taste better in the smoker.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:13 AM »
I read the link on the reports page, good information. Never heard of it before. Not sure if I agree with why some fish exhibit this and some don't but it makes sense.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:47 AM »
The Kamloops out of Kocanusa had this problem for my wife.  I don't eat fish.  She will if I cook it the same day.  Which I do on request to bring one home.

She said the taste was moldy.  The next time, I soaked the kamloop fillet in fresh squeezed lemon juice, which another shanty member told me this method cooked the fish and would freeze like mush.  In any case, I cooked the fish and it was clean.  The next time I did half no soak and half soaked.  She said soaking makes a monster difference in the taste of the fish.  Cleaner, and brings out the flavor she likes about rainbow.

The kamloops and lakers also have this white juice that comes out of the meat side of the fillet, like it secrets out of the fillet while just sitting for a one minute.  It smells rancid.  Don't know yet what this stuff is but the lemon juice also cleans that up.  I never tried the vinegar.
wish you many hook-ups

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.