The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Island bait shops  (Read 580 times)

Offline EmTee

• IceShanty Rookie
Island bait shops
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:44 PM »
Saturday I stopped at a bait shop that I hadn't been to in a few years.  I bought a dozen mediums and a dozen pike bait.  By the time I got to my camp in North Hero, about a half-dozen of them were dead.  I also couldn't tell the difference between the mediums and the pike bait.  When I fished Saturday, most of the bait was small enough to be catching perch.  I won't name the bait shop but not only did many of the bait die quickly, but I am not sure I even got the amount that I paid for.

Sunday morning I tried buying my bait from Holiday Harbor.  I was greeted by a very friendly woman at the bait shop/office.  The bait was good sized and she even took out some of the pike bait that was too small and replaced them.  Price was decent so I again bought a dozen of each.  After fishing all day with the family, (10 tipups), I counted the bait remaining and still had more unused bait in my bucket than I had paid for. 

I will be buying my bait from Holiday Harbor every chance I get from now on.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Island bait shops
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:22 PM »
They're great there, the other place has gone waaaaay down hill.
Crooks.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Holiday Harbor IS a great bait source. There is also another shop nearby, just off Rt.2 in Grand Isle : Mike Yarrow's Island Bait & Tackle on 71 Hyde Rd.  802-363-9115.  Turn at the Island Hub bar toward the broad lake, not too far down, look on left for sign. Mike is a good guy.

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:27 AM »
I always go to Holiday Harbor when I'm up that way.  Been there early and had to wait for them to wake up.  Bruce opened up about 20 minutes after 6.  He told us that if we are ever waiting at 6 for him to just ring the buzzer to get him going.  I'd feel bad doing that to them but nice of him to say.  Nice people.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:58 AM »
Holiday Harbor IS a great bait source. There is also another shop nearby, just off Rt.2 in Grand Isle : Mike Yarrow's Island Bait & Tackle on 71 Hyde Rd.  802-363-9115.  Turn at the Island Hub bar toward the broad lake, not too far down, look on left for sign. Mike is a good guy.

Didn't realize he was still open, thanks
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.