The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island report 2-20-17  (Read 971 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island report 2-20-17
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:47 PM »
So I got on the ice at Tabor Point at 9:00; it's a bit hard walking and by late afternoon every step went through and it was tiring because what was frozen was slippery.  There's about 8-12 inches of ice but it's really soft, my Jiffy went through it like butter.  By the sixth tip-up, I snagged this sow pike.

I set two more tip-ups and turned back to land this big sow, good fun in 18 inches of water.  Another one only lip-hooked.

Then I jigged for awhile and lost two more big pike, one chewed through 25 lb test woven line but it's my fault, only had a short steel leader, lesson learned.  The other one just spit out the bait at the hole. Then the perch bite stopped and I landed this guy. 

And then it totally dead until about 2:30 and I got this one.  No one will believe it except the couple standing with me but she bit while I was still letting the line down and the bait was still in the hole!  I hollered pretty loud 'cause I had a bronco at the end of 3 feet of line thrashing in the hole.  Got a burn mark on my thumb from the line.

And then I came home with barely enough for an old lady but at least the wind wasn't too bad and I got to talk with lots of people walking out and then back in and everybody was saying that it was a slow day and all had about what I had, perch -wise.  But I can't complain I was jigging in 6 feet of water and trying to stay close to my tip-ups; it's what I expected.  Going to try again soon because this warm spell is going to last for a week or so.  Need some fish for the chowder championship...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hog Island report 2-20-17
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Nice report thank you!

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:22 PM »
thanks for the great report. hope to make it up there soon but may have to wait till next year.

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:57 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I forgot to mention that the last one I got, the one I'm holding, had a good-sized lamprey wound that appeared to be healing.  I remember when I reported that last year someone wrote in that they don't target scaly fish like pike, well, there's another one; too few trout for 'em?

Offline cbice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:22 AM »
At least half of the larger pike I catch have lamprey wounds on them.  It's not uncommon to se a 10lb pike with 4+ old and new wounds.  Never actually caught one with a lamphrey attached though.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I forgot to mention that the last one I got, the one I'm holding, had a good-sized lamprey wound that appeared to be healing.  I remember when I reported that last year someone wrote in that they don't target scaly fish like pike, well, there's another one; too few trout for 'em?

Nice! I saw you out there. I was the one with the kids and the big crew out there partying. It was my birthday so we decided to throw a bash and teach a few newbies about icefishing. It was a beautiful day!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 04:26 AM »
JB, looks like a good day on the ice !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.