The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Is the weather just too nice?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is the weather just too nice?
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:32 PM »
It's the only explanation I can think of for how slow the fishing seems to have been this weekend.

I took advantage of the three day weekend and headed to Burnett's Pond in Savoy today.

Another beautiful day .  . . sunny, blue skies, temps supposedly in the low 40's (according to the radio out of Albany) - - although it felt cooler, with a stiff breeze, and I noticed skim ice forming on my holes. 

On my way up the mountain, I saw a guy release an opposum from a have-a-heart trap on the edge of his property.  I was kinda surprised possum are active during the winter.

The snow on the Pond wasn't as slushy as the past couple days, but more "crusty"  - - you walk, break through the crust and drop six to eight inches.

The ice itself was two feet thick.  I only had a hand augur with me, so I settled for drilling three holes, and was lucky to get two legitimate flags (one took about 15 or 20 feet of line), but whatever it was got away without doing much damage to my bait.

I had a light lunch - - grilled lamb chorizo, a Guiness Black lager, some kimchi, a few pierogi, and some fruit.

I had the pond to myself most of the day.  One guy came out with his dog just to scout the ice for later in the week, and two other guys showed up shortly before I left to jig for bait.

I called it a day early (3 PM) 'cuz I had to get ready . . . I've promised my wife a belated Valentine's Day dinner at the Student Prince down in Springfield, and it's close to an hour and a half drive.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Is the weather just too nice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:22 PM »
You are not alone. This weekend was slow flagwise. I blamed it on the weather also.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:12 PM »
I fished Sunday, Monday, and Today.  Flags came in bursts:  reminded me of fishing the Potomac for smallies and a how the bite would change with the clouds.

We did hit a smelt camp Monday night and left happy.  Plenty if smelt to fry right there in the shack and plenty for tomorrow!

Tight lines!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:14 PM »
Good job getting on the smelt!

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:05 PM »
I fished Sunday, Monday, and Today.  Flags came in bursts:  reminded me of fishing the Potomac for smallies and a how the bite would change with the clouds.

We did hit a smelt camp Monday night and left happy.  Plenty if smelt to fry right there in the shack and plenty for tomorrow!

Tight lines!
I had the same experience both Saturday and Sunday. We'd wait around for 45 minutes and the get 2 or 3 flags within 5 minutes of each other....repeat, repeat.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Fished 6 out of last 7 days and had same experience, flags came In bursts 2 or 3 at a time with 2 to 4 hour wait times. Fished pike everyday didn't see one until 4-430 yesterday. Took my only small live bait. Saw at least one bass per day over 5 lbs though.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2017, 12:54 PM »
You are not alone. This weekend was slow flagwise. I blamed it on the weather also.

I have a theory that if you can see the moon after the sun comes up it is going to be a slow day.  I think the moon was out every day this weekend.  I fished for pike Saturday, 3 flags, 3 bass on smaller suckers, Sunday 10 flags and all pickerel (place is loaded with them) but at least they were hearty and fought a little, Monday fished for pike again 2 flags on big dead bait and no one was home.  If I didn't start jigging like I am this year I'd have the skunk record.  Or maybe if I setup 5 traps like I used to I'd be hammering it.  I guess I'll never know.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:16 PM »
I like the moon theory...I'll have to make some notes during striper season...

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I'm looking at the skunk this year, too.  No jigging for me, so not even a gill, lol.  Tough year.  It only takes 1 though.

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:11 PM »
Yes Pike king it has been a TUFF YEAR......I did get out 8 times....I'm retired and I normally get out 25 times...I did connect 7 of those timesI was out yesterday and it was slow 4 pickeral (12-19") and 5 panfish at Forge Pd. in Granby. There was 2-3" of snow ice on 6" solid but the sides are gone 20' in the sun areas..I got wet coming off last nite it is 61.5F here today. These 79 yr. old bones can't jump or walk planks on the ice.. I have a saying..."If you can't walk on to ice don't GO ICE FISHING". If you hear of guys going out using planks/boards/logs ...there is a price you pay for doing that . I'm looking at a death notice tack on to my computer screen of one William P. Kitovich,Jr. 1953-2017 dated Feb. 8, 2017,,,he fell though 5 Mile Pd. on Jan. 29, 2017 and died while ice fishing with a buddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.