The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Skinny Ice Lakers  (Read 1611 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Skinny Ice Lakers
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:11 AM »
It's the worst temptation....your over prime water for the first time of the season...everyone hooking up as the sun grows stronger and stronger.  We did it though...the crew, mostly comprised of some of LG'S laker addicts assembled early that morning...spudding out took a long time and careful consoderation...the ice varied from 1-4" with the black ice being the thickest....we went to work...

I landed 6 of 15 or so...a relatively poor showing but still lots of fun.  Some of the guys did much better than I bailing them really well for some time.  At around 12 everyone decided to head in...I remained...which in hindsight was somewhat of a foolish decision...I had nailed a couple more but could not help the overwhelming odd feeling of being on a few inches of ice on the King...alone...It took a while but I carefully spudded back in and stayed dry....Great trip with some amazing friends/fishermen.  By end of today that spot should sadly be open water....

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
Re: Skinny Ice Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Good job getting out and being safe getting in. That big lake ice varies fast. Nice fish
MA

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Sometimes I think you are just a little bit crazy. lol

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:38 PM »
Sometimes I think you are just a little bit crazy. lol

I totally am!   ;D

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:53 PM »
Wow crazy post glad it was a safe trip, love the pictures. Next year I will have to chase the lakers to cross off my list.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:15 PM »
jeppers, that ice dosant look that thick. and over deep water. dam, you got stones, jona

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:40 PM »
jeppers, that ice dosant look that thick. and over deep water. dam, you got stones, jona

No stones Bill just an very intimate and trusting relationship with my spud bar.  I should have taken a quick video being out there alone...it was really surreal.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Gotta say, I admire the hell out of people who can be that comfortable on the ice, I just know I'll never be one of them. I might go out if I was with a group but the solo walk back would be more than I could handle..
"How many whacks means it's safe for me?"
"How much do I weigh again?"
"Did I take a proper crap before coming out?"

My imagination would get the better of me on ice like that in an expanse like that.

Nice going. Not too proud to say I have stone envy.  :tipup:

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Gotta say, I admire the hell out of people who can be that comfortable on the ice, I just know I'll never be one of them. I might go out if I was with a group but the solo walk back would be more than I could handle..
"How many whacks means it's safe for me?"
"How much do I weigh again?"
"Did I take a proper crap before coming out?"

My imagination would get the better of me on ice like that in an expanse like that.

Nice going. Not too proud to say I have stone envy.  :tipup:

Just remember if I had fallen in there would be no envy. I just mention the conditions because they are part of the story.  I stayed out there alone because I am a stubborn idiot who didn't fish as well as his friends and wanted more lakers.

As far as being comfortable...I will always be uncomfortable on that ice...I could never lie about that. It sucks before you even get on because you think "how much time do I have" constantly and that is a very difficult thing to judge.  Once everyone was gone it was impossible to ignore.

Offline manitron

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Walking that thin line between hardcore and insane.
Being on ice is nice but the tug is the drug.

Offline bojango

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Think about your kids....not worth it

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:33 AM »
Think about your kids....not worth it

I appreciate the comment and I do think about my daughter when I am out there.  However, I worry more every time I strap her into her car seat, as driving is far more dangerous yet we all do it!   

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I appreciate the comment and I do think about my daughter when I am out there.  However, I worry more every time I strap her into her car seat, as driving is far more dangerous yet we all do it! 

I agree 100%!!! Your careful, you spud, you are ready if you go through, yes there is danger, but you are the one that determines the outcome. Getting hit by a drunk, someone that is texting, driving too fast, ran a light or one of the many other stupid things people do behind the wheel, you have little control of. I have been through the ice more than ones (don't like it, it cuts into fishing time) and if I ever go through again, I will get myself out... I have also been hit by a drunk driver and am lucky to be alive. I have a great deal of respect for the dangers of being on the ice (any thickness), but most people completely disregard the danger of driving down a highway, having to rely on others to act responsible... Now think back to the last time you saw someone that did something on the road that could've killed someone (I don't really care if they kill themselves). Just last night (and almost every time I am on the road) I was pumping gas and watch some road rage and a high speed running of a red light. We all see stuff like that, almost everyday and we just disregard it and the dangers that go with driving... Thin ice is often safer (with care) than driving to the lake...

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:45 AM »
Nice job connecting with the lakers.

I'm surprised the ice is that thin up on Lake George.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2017, 08:09 AM »

100% agree as well! Take your time, check as you go, and be smart. Its all in your control and you make the decisions.

Driving on the other hand... My commute is 110 miles a day.. I see more morons, road rage, accidents, etc every week than i care to remember.

GJ on the lakers btw

Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:44 AM »
Sure it may sound crazy, but as he stated, he checked as he went, and wasn't pushing his limits.

The hardest part to get over is that walking on clear ice gives you a false sense of its condition. You might hear and see cracks, you might feel ice movement and until you can visually confirm the thickness, you may be second-guessing you choice.

It's a good day out if you can get out safely, catch fish, and make it back incident free!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Nice work Jon.  Someday I will venture north or west to get a couple of those through the ice.  For now I'll stare at my flags cemented to the ground as I try to catch a pike.  I was on Woods yesterday, ONLY me and a buddy for most of the day, only 3 other groups for a portion of the day.  I got 2 flags, first on a big dead sucker and another on a wounded pondie.  Both took out a bunch of line but they seemed to be light biters yesterday.  I whiffed both times and another gentleman we talked to had 7 flags, all on big dead pondies (some were over 12 inches), and he came up empty as well.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:02 PM »
Thanks for the word guys.  I do agree with Nick though to be clear, dying over a fish isn't worth it.  Ice fishing though to me is pretty benign.  Before I fished the canal I only surfcasted and that was often very dangerous.  Many nights of dealing with rough water and then drunk drivers all over the roads.  You may not notice at first but man after a while you couldn't help but notice....especially long drives from the CT to the Cape.

Pat there is something to be said about fishing any of those normally busy spots when people have moved on or given up.  What I enjoy about this type of ice season is I generally meet skilled, like minded fishermen. 

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:28 PM »
It was a very interesting and fun trip.    There's probably a little more perceived margin for error when he's joined on the ice by someone weighing twice what he does ;) .     Didn't enjoy finding those one spud and through spots.    :pinch:   Please can we have some REAL ice next season!!??!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:57 PM »
It was a very interesting and fun trip.    There's probably a little more perceived margin for error when he's joined on the ice by someone weighing twice what he does ;) .     Didn't enjoy finding those one spud and through spots.    :pinch:   Please can we have some REAL ice next season!!??!!

If anyone thinks I have stones....sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know...without you and the crew I would have been catching perch.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:04 AM »
If anyone thinks I have stones....sometimes it's not what you know, it's who you know...without you and the crew I would have been catching perch.

I was just saying if the ice can hold me, your skinny @$$ aint got nothing to worry about lol ;D

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2017, 09:40 AM »
nice story, great picks, although that wouldnt be me now, maybe 20 years ago i would of done that. but nice job and you know what your doing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.