The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mitchell/Cadillac Ice - Update?  (Read 4224 times)

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
Mitchell/Cadillac Ice - Update?
« on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Anyone know how the ice on Mitchell and Cadillac is?  A buddy and I are supposed to be ice fishing Feb 28, Mar 1, and Mar 2, but the forecast has me thinking we may need a contingency plan.

How much ice did Mitchell/Cadillac have before this warm weather week?  Will it be fishable next week?  Any info is appreciated!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Mitchell/Cadillac Ice - Update?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:29 AM »

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:34 AM »
I am going to say that you should be OK, but that just my .02.  Last night I saw guys on both lakes with quads/sleds all over.  Its totally different north of M-115/M-55.  Despite the warm temps I didn't see much ice loss this weekend.  Most of the ice up north had snow on it which took a day or two to melt down and is now acting like a rotting slush layer but no signs of honeycomb yet....sure Tues and Wed will put a hurt on things..  Suppose to get back in the twenties/teens over night starting sunday.  I would keep checking with pilgrims village and you might want to bring some planks if you have a machine.  Of course you can go to Houghton as they has 16-21" in most places on Sunday.  One atv broke through part way, but the guy cut across a pressure crack on an angle so his results were his own fault considering there was a place to cross just 30 yards away...

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:39 PM »
I frove by today and saw 2 f350's parked on Mitchell should be good for another week or so for foot traffic
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 09:56 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys, my optimism is renewed!

Offline BK105

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:25 AM »
2/19 on North end of Mitchell, 2 to 3 inches of white snow ice & solid 14" of good hard clear ice underneath...I wouldn't drive truck out but will go back out with sled this weekend.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:56 PM »
Do you guys all still think there will be foot traffic on Cadillac and Mitchell this weekend??

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:32 PM »
should be. bring a rope

Offline kibbe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Shoreline is quite weak it seems. Only saw two guys out on Mitchell this afternoon and no quads/sleds but thinking beyond shoreline should still have several inches but it is just getting out to it that might be tricky

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:13 PM »
So is the consensus that next Tuesday won't be happening?  It doesn't look like the forecast has much cold left in it.

When you say a few inches, are you talking 4-6 or more like 8-10?

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:48 AM »
i'm going out this weekend I'l let you know. It's below freezing up there right now and most of the weekend.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2017, 08:25 AM »
I am up in Cadillac right now and it is 31 degrees. Just got done raining pretty good. I didn't see anyone out on either lake but I don't think it was ice related. More the rain and thunderstorms. Sorry I can't check the ice but I thought I would send on a weather report

Offline kuther

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I was on the ice yesterday at Big Cove had to walk on a plank to get on the ice . There was 5 inches soft mushy ice on top of 5 inches hard ice. Ice is going fast I myself don't feel safe enough to go out again.

Offline 04EDGE40

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Anyone got a suggestion for a contingency plan?  How is the ice on Houghton holding up?  Anywhere within an hour of Cadillac that has good ice still?

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2017, 12:55 PM »
Just walked off of Kenwood on Cadillac and I feel plenty safe!

Offline kibbe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2017, 05:29 AM »
some open water right on shore in little cove on mitchell but then a solid 6 out in the middle of it

Offline iceskeeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:47 PM »
Last w/e for pike, hows the ice looking? know shore ice was sketchy but thuis weather hopefully locked it up for one more go.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2017, 09:05 AM »
that's what i'm thinking.

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2017, 05:59 PM »
 Go to 9/10 news web site and have a look at the mess left by the ice fisher men this winter and I use fishermen with a grain of salt. The DNR is involved and people are not happy. It was on 9/10 news tonight

Offline slabzilla73

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 01, 2017, 03:29 PM »
Few bad apples ruin the bunch!

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2017, 05:11 PM »
I fished both Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac a number of times this past season and never came across any trash on either lake - I just don't buy into the story here that ice fisherman were the cause of "tons" of garbage washing up to shore.  Not saying some slobs didn't pack some of their stuff out, but come on. 

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I fished both Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac a number of times this past season and never came across any trash on either lake - I just don't buy into the story here that ice fisherman were the cause of "tons" of garbage washing up to shore.  Not saying some slobs didn't pack some of their stuff out, but come on.

Just where do you think it came from? It wasn't there last fall before the lake froze up. Did the trash monsters drop it out of the sky

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2017, 09:16 PM »
Just where do you think it came from? It wasn't there last fall before the lake froze up. Did the trash monsters drop it out of the sky

I don't suppose any blew in during the early Spring gale force winds - likely any trash from surrounding areas would have skirted around the lakes, don't you think?  Had to be ice fisherman....  :cookoo:

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Bucket Rump 

I was thinking the same thing when I watched the news video. There is a lot of loose garbage every where that could have been blown onto the lake with all the high winds we have had this winter.

Some of it might have been from fishermen but not all of it.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Don't think any of those 1# propane tanks blew very far

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2017, 10:02 AM »
The propane bottles probably float so they could come a long ways. Plus the ice can move all over with the winds once it loosens up from the shore. The garbage from the middle of the lake can move all over. Even the stuff that got blown on the ice from some where on shore.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Bottom line , probably most of the items came from our fishing buddy's, seen too many bait containers, hook wrappers, from the guys that fish around the lakes. That being said everyone has to police themselves, not point fingers that it came from somewhere else !!

Offline scout 2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:22 PM »
Bottom line , probably most of the items came from our fishing buddy's, seen too many bait containers, hook wrappers, from the guys that fish around the lakes. That being said everyone has to police themselves, not point fingers that it came from somewhere else !!
The reason I posted this was many people live out of the area that fish here and may not know what is going on. Even though I don't not fish there I don't want to see it shut off. I have seen other lakes blocked for this same reason and from what I hear the lake association there have a very strong voice and rigtht now they have the DNR's ear. You can blasme the wind all you want but I have seen it on other lake here and I have picked up trash which I know was left by the slobs. I just hope no one on this site does not fit in this class

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Apr 07, 2017, 05:21 PM »
It's too bad that there are so many people that are so careless. Most of the time I leave the ice with other peoples trash. If I see it I just can't leave it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.