New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sad to see it ending  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
Sad to see it ending
« on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Well with the warm temps the ice will not be safe for long or isn't already. Haven't ever had to put my ice fishing gear away this early as going North for me isn't an option unless I could find someone to go with. These warm winters are annoying for sure. Stay safe and tight lines to anyone going in the near future.
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sad to see it ending
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:11 AM »
It's no secret that winter will at some point, some day, be eliminated as a season. December through March will be four "Aprils" I wonder if we will still call it winter? We have served planet earth with a true ass kicking over the past century. Now we are reaping the results. If your going to China anytime soon don't forget your gas masks because you cant go outside without one..........
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:00 AM »
I remember a few yrs back I actually sold all of my ice fishing gear because for like 4 yrs in a row we didn't have cold enough weather to make ice...at least now we can get out a few times and yea I had to get all new gear I won't do that again fishing is my passion weather it be ice or open water but there's no feeling like bringing a fish up through a hole in the ice ..but always can north but I don't feel like it..i just take what mother nature deals to us..

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:00 AM »
It's no secret that winter will at some point, some day, be eliminated as a season. December through March will be four "Aprils" I wonder if we will still call it winter? We have served planet earth with a true ass kicking over the past century. Now we are reaping the results. If your going to China anytime soon don't forget your gas masks because you cant go outside without one..........

What do ya mean? Global warming is a hoax invented by the Chinese, they're just wearing those gas masks over there when the FAKE media has the cameras rolling.  ::) Lol

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:09 AM »
Ha! Hey Tblaster, I was going to PM you. The ice is junk here. Something tells me I can be on some good safe ice if I venture North this coming Friday. Will you be out that day by chance? I am thinking 7th
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:28 AM »
yes it is sad that the ice season was short this year, BUT the open water season is
just around the corner,and it is warmer for me
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:40 AM »
Ha! Hey Tblaster, I was going to PM you. The ice is junk here. Something tells me I can be on some good safe ice if I venture North this coming Friday. Will you be out that day by chance? I am thinking 7th

Working on Friday, but I'll be on the ice Saturday and Sunday. I was considering the Hinckley lake derby Saturday, but I'm not sure if they will cancel it. If that is a no go I'll just fish 7th or maybe venture up to bml

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:49 AM »
Yesterday I had the first red wing blackbirds and grackles back at my bird feeders here in Saratoga County :o  Same thing last year they came back in February and for as long as I can remember you never saw them until late March.  Another sign that winter just ain't what it used to be and with the warmup and melting snow it's now mud season again :-\

Fishmon

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2017, 08:21 AM »
Have to agree with a lot of the above. :'(  Unfortunately it really hurts the winter weather dependent businesses.  The local TV weather yahoos seem to gleefully ignore this.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I have seen them early  but usually you are right  late march....

I'm glad the ice is going!  I much rather be casting  then drilling and dropping

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Cleaned out the boat today. Going to register the trailer tomorrow, test run it, and re-do the trailer bearings. A Hoping to get out soon. Never got the ice gear out this season :(.

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I have seen them early  but usually you are right  late march....

I'm glad the ice is going!  I much rather be casting  then drilling and dropping

Not me.  Once the snow melts, I'll be fixing fence, cutting wood, and doing repairs.  Not much time for open water fishing with a full time job plus living on a farm.  Winter is the only time I can get away with fishing a lot.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:10 PM »
Yeah I hear all the theories about how we won't have winter eventually and I don't know about that but I'll keep ice fishing until it does. I will be open water fishing starting tomorrow

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:22 PM »
everyone  is on global warming kick this year  they forget2 tears ago we had ice that was over 2 foot most places...then it was a ice age coming ......I'm just going to fish and have a good time till the lord takes me ....last guy leaving ...be sure to turn the light out

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:19 PM »
"Sad to see it ending"

Not me, cant wait to get the boat out, or at least do some shore fishing...
Was on the ice today and by noon you could wear a hole through 10" of white ice by sitting in your chair and rubbing your heal back and forth..    :P

And Trapp I love global warming..       @)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2017, 02:23 AM »
"Sad to see it ending"

Not me, cant wait to get the boat out, or at least do some shore fishing...
Was on the ice today and by noon you could wear a hole through 10" of white ice by sitting in your chair and rubbing your heal back and forth..    :P

And Trapp I love global warming..       @)
I love ice fishing and usually can do it at least halfway through March. Oh well bring on open water fishing.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:13 AM »
everyone  is on global warming kick this year  they forget2 tears ago we had ice that was over 2 foot most places...then it was a ice age coming ......I'm just going to fish and have a good time till the lord takes me ....last guy leaving ...be sure to turn the light out
x2 couldn't have said it better myself Trapp,2 bad years and boom global warming wait till next year prolly have polar vortex from Nov till June then we will be heading toward an ice age again.that said I am with dacker and can't wait to have 75° and green grass black flies and pollen in the air

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:19 AM »
mmmmmmmmm I really don't miss black flies or ticks

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:41 AM »
Kicked the tires, charged the battery and started the engine. Good to have friends with boats available. Guess where we will be tomorrow?

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:03 AM »
rock bass fishing soon  :thumbsup:

Offline Felix77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Started ice fishing 3 years ago and in the 1st two years only ventured out 2-3 times max.   As a noob I didn't know what I was doing but persisted anyway.  Unfortunately I didn't catch anything to verify what I was doing was right.   This year however I took the opportunity to fish whatever ice I could and finally was very successful.   Sad to see it go but if it was going to go early this year I am glad I had the season I did.

For those who still have ice ... rock on but be safe ...

Happy tippin' and jiggin'

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #21 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Rock bass, my favorite fish :)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:15 AM »

Rock bass are for children... And global warming is a real thing. You need to look back farther than 2 years ago to understand it. It's called average temperature. Some years are colder than others but overall there is a warming trend.

Not here to argue with anybody but I believe studies preformed by NASA to be accurate information

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:33 AM »
Stripers will be roaming up the Hudson in no time the good old winters are a thing of the past!!

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:36 AM »
I just saw an article that said because the sun is without spots, it means we are headed for another ice age.  If it's on the internet, it must be true.  Better go buy some auger extensions before they get sold out.

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:22 AM »
Rock bass are for children... And global warming is a real thing. You need to look back farther than 2 years ago to understand it. It's called average temperature. Some years are colder than others but overall there is a warming trend.

Not here to argue with anybody but I believe studies preformed by NASA to be accurate information
that's a good thing tblaster cause I'm still a kid at heart

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:18 PM »
It seems like the "woe-is-me-its-teh-global-warming:( sentiment is a little excessive this year...For a few reasons...first I think it's because we were "supposed to" get an unusually cold winter, but...we didn't. We basically got an average winter. I remember Nate Krusko at Fish307's ice seminar in December stating "and we will get good ice this year" and everyone nodding in agreement. It was just accepted as a given fact that after an awful 2015-16 we would get a frigid arctic winter for '16-17.  But that's not the way nature or probability works...you flip heads-up 10 times in a row and you are still just 50/50% likely to get tails the next flip. And on top of that the cards didn't fall quite right for certain favorite lakes like Lake George. Look 10 miles to the West at Schroon Lake, which is up to 150+ feet deep...and they have 15+ inches of black ice there right now, while George has practically nothing. It wasn't just a "warm winter." We actually had a cold November/December! But thanks to just a few windy days at the wrong times, the way it worked out Schroon locked up early and built ice for 2 months straight whereas George did not. And now February is evening it out. Is that Global Warming? Or just the way things work out sometimes? For now, I have to say the latter.

And I still say next winter is no more/less likely to be cold vs warm. I don't see a true trend here that suggests we won't ever have good ice again. Nor do I see a law of averages that guarantees next winter will be super cold and make up for the past 2 years. It is just up to nature how things work out. All I know is when it does work out for us I'll be out there to enjoy it.  :tipup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:04 PM »
I love global warming..   If everything keeps melting I might have ocean front property..     ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:21 PM »
Was awesome to see everything tighten back up today.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 28, 2017, 12:41 AM »
It seems like the "woe-is-me-its-teh-global-warming:( sentiment is a little excessive this year...For a few reasons...first I think it's because we were "supposed to" get an unusually cold winter, but...we didn't. We basically got an average winter. I remember Nate Krusko at Fish307's ice seminar in December stating "and we will get good ice this year" and everyone nodding in agreement. It was just accepted as a given fact that after an awful 2015-16 we would get a frigid arctic winter for '16-17.  But that's not the way nature or probability works...you flip heads-up 10 times in a row and you are still just 50/50% likely to get tails the next flip. And on top of that the cards didn't fall quite right for certain favorite lakes like Lake George. Look 10 miles to the West at Schroon Lake, which is up to 150+ feet deep...and they have 15+ inches of black ice there right now, while George has practically nothing. It wasn't just a "warm winter." We actually had a cold November/December! But thanks to just a few windy days at the wrong times, the way it worked out Schroon locked up early and built ice for 2 months straight whereas George did not. And now February is evening it out. Is that Global Warming? Or just the way things work out sometimes? For now, I have to say the latter.

And I still say next winter is no more/less likely to be cold vs warm. I don't see a true trend here that suggests we won't ever have good ice again. Nor do I see a law of averages that guarantees next winter will be super cold and make up for the past 2 years. It is just up to nature how things work out. All I know is when it does work out for us I'll be out there to enjoy it.  :tipup:
Spot on man

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.