The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: dun the fat lady sang  (Read 16111 times)

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
dun the fat lady sang
« on: Feb 19, 2017, 05:54 PM »
im done the fat lady sang all day sat was the last time for me this season
was a good day met some new people had fun caught some fish had a blast
but its time to put the stuff away and get the boat ready and finish home projects ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: dun the fat lady sang
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:48 PM »
Yea. Im gonna put my stuff away too. Got out twice. Im thinking we are not gonna see the ice fishing as we once knew it. The last 2 years have been a big flop. Global warming is taking its toll :'( :'(  Had promised land plans for next weekend. But Im too unsure of the weather & ice conditions. Ill cancell my reservations & bite the bullet on the deposit a little money lost. Aint worth sketchy ice & a couple fish.

Offline Burky65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:49 PM »
Did you reserve one of the camp ground's three cabins?  I've always wanted to spend a weekend at The Promised Lands.

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:21 AM »
I made it out 7 trips this year.
last year 8.
the year before 27..

its over for this season for me.
im gunna start chasing the cats on the river.

you guys that try  a time or 2 more be safe.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:58 AM »
geez, I can't count the number of days I've been on the ice, I've been out almost every weekend and even burned a few vaca days as well. The last 2 years haven't been as good as previous years but some of the previous years weren't that great either. But, I do think it'll be an early spring. This weeks weather is gonna kill whats left of the ice. I might get out this afternoon to Promised land just to see how the ice is holding up. But, I got the kayak ready to go.

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2017, 05:15 PM »
I'm done. 4 trips for me and about 18-20 hours behind the wheel for that. Kayak is ready, ice gear packed away until next year. Life revolves around family and fishing is close second.
Tight lines all!!

Offline panfishnut51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:00 PM »
yup I just stuck a fork in me.....im done for the ice season too

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2017, 03:40 AM »
I hate to say it but it looks like the season is shot and will go down in the history books as the shortest season I've ever had.   :'(

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:07 AM »
What ice season? I managed one day. Boy am I glad I purchased that new insulated ice shanty! Well it will be like brand new next year. Stay safe. Don't risk going out on weak ice. There's already been enough fatalities this year.   lou

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:11 AM »
The only "good" thing about the ice going to crap is it'll be all gone on a lot of the lakes I fish so I'll be able to get out on them with my boat but I'd rather be ice fishing them.   :'(

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I think once the water goes soft and I get the kayak out, I'll be fine. Yer right, if the ice is gonna go bad on us, I hope it does it fast!

Offline SLAPHAPPY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2017, 12:58 PM »
i was going to try and get out this evening,, but when i went outside for the 3rd day in a row of shorts and tshirt,, no fish is worth going in the drink for.. so as much as this kills me, im gonna have to pack the hut and gear away.. and chez knows how much that will hurt. lol , guess its time to start on the boat

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I think Mother Nature needs to get l*id so she gives a us a real cold winter already.   ;D

Offline SLAPHAPPY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2017, 01:17 PM »
yeah but when we get 24 inches of ice and 2 feet of snow, people will complain about that too. lol.. i am originally from north eastern minnesota,, so to be here and see how strange these winters are is crazy.. but i have learned, get out while you can around here. it can change in a day

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2017, 06:24 PM »
I'd give my left, well you can guess, to have 24 inches of ice with 2 feet of snow on top of it.  Instead of using the jet sled or even a smitty sled, I'd break out the snow shoes and trapper's basket.  As they say in the Marine Corps, improvise, adapt, and over come. 

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:15 PM »
Fellow ice fisherman you still may be able to get out this week, its still not melting that bad up in the hills, Rutnut fished Upperwoods on Monday and the holes where freezing over all day , I stopped by Prompton on Sunday and its still ok. I was able to get out about 15 times this season ,should have been a few more times but got sick for a few weekends and washed out by rain on the other days.. all and all not too bad of a season for me.. I wont do no water boarding but if the shore lines hold up may still get out again.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:04 AM »
geez, 24" of ice and I would drive right out in my subaru ;D

well, I called it last night. I stored the ice gear and took out the rest of the kayak gear. Supposed to get cold again after next weekend but it's 60's until then. Some guys will get on the ice next weekend but I won't be one of them, I might be looking for open water though.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Well, call me stubborn.............. ...................... .............but I ain't givin up just yet! I got some really good 8' aluminum planks if needed. Just checked the forecast and looks like 3/5 to 3/15 we are going to go back in the deep freeze. I think there is a chance at least Belmont might still be fishable then. But I ain't gonna be stupid. Just not quite ready to call it a season!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:56 AM »
might be cold in March but the sun is gonna be high. It's not the temps that kills the ice so fast, it's the sun. That's why we can get 2 ft of snow in March and it's gone the next day. One thing I know, I can find more open water now than safe ice.

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:34 AM »
might be cold in March but the sun is gonna be high. It's not the temps that kills the ice so fast, it's the sun. That's why we can get 2 ft of snow in March and it's gone the next day. One thing I know, I can find more open water now than safe ice.

I am keeping both options open for now, I am sending a scout out this weekend to see what lakes are open that I can drop the boat in, hoping Winola is open , I would like to give it a try for some perch maybe try drop shoting / Jigging off the boat.

Offline Basspunker182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:54 AM »
I am 50/50 on heading out this weekend coming up, but I would bet Belmont and Duck Harbor would still have good ice for at least another weekend or 2.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2017, 11:10 AM »
I'm with RuttNutt in hoping and praying that the ice gods smile upon us and give us a second chance.  I'm praying that the temps drop like a lead balloon in March with highs only in the teens so we can get out some more but I'm not too optimistic about it happening.  My plan for now is if there's no ice I'm going to break out the boat to fish at least one day this weekend. 

Offline Drillin-n-Chillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:25 PM »
Surviving the gap between ice fishing and open water.
I posted a checklist last year on how to survive the down time. So here goes. Please add on so we can keep ourselves from going crazy over the next few weeks.

1. Clean up the open water gear, rods reels lines etc
2. Tie some new flies and jigs (salt and freshwater)
3. Prepare kayak, boat
4. Buy plenty of new gear
5. Plan ahead, and do something nice for your wife to build up wife credits (probably should be first)
6. Make sure you have enough beer or your drink of choice (all of the above are better with beer)
7. Make sure to take the worms out of your ice fishing sled or box so they don't turn into whatever they turn into later.
8. Buy more beer as needed.

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Trip to Erie today mid February.temp 63...water temp 34....great perch bite  limits of 30 each 2 limits  60 jumbos....2 steel head   And a safe trip on the water [/[URL=http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/kov619/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-02/CD9EE854-264E-46DD-9B35-1D74BB066EA1_zpshl10dkcr.png.html]
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2017, 07:47 PM »
Thats some nice Perch ,,,,Was you on open water ?

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Yes open water
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline pagoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Have to agree with all of you that the season is over. Went to Shahola on Friday and the ice was good but the shorelines were going. Got out only 2 times and hoping for a better and colder year next season.

Offline BUFFORT T JUSTICE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ICE FISHING 4 EVER!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:06 AM »
Was a short season.
I got out 4 times.
my gear is getting put in the Shed.
Enjoyed Myself every trip.
Got to Fish with spider..was a good time.
Talked to a bunch of good guys on this site.
Helped me with a bunch.Very Good Site.
I got a Pm today from Ice Wagon.
He wanted an Apology.
For What     I have no Clue.
But i did give him one Sorry for what ever Ice Wagon.
Maybe you should lighten up a bit?????,
Any ways im done.
Got some things to do around my house.
Got Spring Gobbler season on my mind.
Ill be around for this weekend to see how you guys do.
Please be safe.
SHOOT ALL THE BAD GUYS,,LET GOD SORT THEM.

Offline Newberry Kid 218

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:55 AM »
The Fat Lady HAS SUNGETH ! My stuff is away and its off to the river for walleyes !

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:46 PM »
Was a short season.
I got out 4 times.
my gear is getting put in the Shed.
Enjoyed Myself every trip.
Got to Fish with spider..was a good time.
Talked to a bunch of good guys on this site.
Helped me with a bunch.Very Good Site.
I got a Pm today from Ice Wagon.
He wanted an Apology.
For What     I have no Clue.
But i did give him one Sorry for what ever Ice Wagon.
Maybe you should lighten up a bit?????,
Any ways im done.
Got some things to do around my house.
Got Spring Gobbler season on my mind.
Ill be around for this weekend to see how you guys do.
Please be safe.
Buffort & I got off on the wrong foot too. But I dont hold a grudge against anyone. We are all adults & entitled to our own opinions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.