Author Topic: blue mesa  (Read 1599 times)

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
blue mesa
« on: Feb 19, 2017, 03:16 PM »
hit up the blue yesterday since van-halentine was no good anymore, and the void of the north was still premature for open water.   

skunked bad, but the views were pretty!   went to black canyon, hung out in meth-trose for lunch and drove back to the lake to try our hand at some kokes, perch and lakers.      fished from 8-140 feet of water.    saw a few blips and had one on by some jagged cliffs at elk creek...  but no dice.    fished lake city bridge and found what I thought were the perch but none would commit.   it was cool ice fishing at night though, loved seeing the milky way.

ice at elk creek marina 10-14 inches, with it getting sketchy and mushy the further west you went.   lake was open water at bay of chickens with a few skim ice sheets floating around sapinero and dillon pinnacles.   saw some heads in kayaks fishing and a few people fishing under the bridge on the west end.    ice was 15 inches around the cliffs with it getting thinner by the rocks.   lake city was 18-20 inches as well.      saw nothing with the jigging machine.    we were gonna fish today out there, but literally every hotel within sight of the mountains was booked out for the weekend, so I drove home last night.     shoulda stayed in granby.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: blue mesa
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:11 PM »
To bad it wound up that way, at least you were "Out of Dodge"
Bud

Offline Goosehunter1992

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:36 PM »
Been poundin the kokes the last week, caught a limit monday, and caught 35 between 3 of us yesterday.

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Been poundin the kokes the last week, caught a limit monday, and caught 35 between 3 of us yesterday.
nice sounds like fun might come up this next weekend

Offline callovthemackinaw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Winter: realm of eternal ice.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2017, 11:32 PM »

were you at elk creek?

Offline Goosehunter1992

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2017, 10:26 PM »
Yep

Offline BruinPoint

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Hey guys, this is my first post here...  I've been trying to get to Blue Mesa every couple of weeks this winter with the goal of getting at least one over 10#- I lost track of the lake trout bite a couple of weeks ago and got skunked on them twice in a row.  I was able to mark a few last week on the Vexilar but they acted jig shy and only managed to get one bite on a dead sticked tube with sucker meat.  Tried spoons and they'd chase but not commit.  I think it was just slow that day - shouldn't they be cranking up about now?? 

Fortunately the 'bows and browns are still in the same spots I've been finding them.  I'm almost ready to bag ice fishing and hit the open water on the west end...

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 05:53 AM »
should be lots of open water by now.
Bud

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.