Author Topic: how much longer will the ice be safe?  (Read 3168 times)

Offline bearded fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: how much longer will the ice be safe?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Gone around here.  >:(
had 12
' this weekend but im afraid for this upcoming one

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:00 PM »
Weather changes here in Utah more than I change my underwear. Been float tubing in Feb on lakes that should be frozen until May. I also have ice fished the first week of May on lakes that usually ice off around 2nd to 3rd week of May. Skied at Snowbird twice on 4th of July.  Utah Lake is ice free, but may freeze back up this week. Snow and cold temps happening right now.
crazy i think its over here

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:01 PM »
here's the thing guys, don't get caught up in the "inches of ice thing" You might have 10" of hard ice and walk out all happy and drill holes and spend the day on the ice but as you're walking off that 10" of hard ice will have been getting hit my sun and water runoff. It can go soft and sink under your weight. When that happens you get wet or worse. Last year 4 young guys were fishing on ice they thought was "safe enough". But when they were leaving it sunk under them and they all went in. Fortunately they were all rescued, one just barely, but it could have been tragic.

Just because there's ice, doesn't mean it's safe. If it makes you nervous at any time, trust your instincts and get off.thanks i actually fell through in a swamp today getting my sap buckets at least its only waist deep

Offline Fish4days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:14 AM »
Fished a couple lakes in northern WI past few days, 16" of ice on one 20" on another. Guys were still driving trucks out. Unfortunately, we may get up to a foot of snow to mess it all up.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:18 AM »
I was out yesterday still have 15" of good ice no slush or water on top and no snow. The bottom 8" of ice is still hard and fairly clear. 4 wheeler atv's were running all over the lake. Good news is all the snow missed us here and going down to 10°f tonight should really firm up the shoreline I hope, that was the only thing the shoreline was getting very soft. Hopefully we still have a good 3 more weeks or so of ice fishing ahead. That sure was a heck of a February thaw.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #35 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:20 AM »
here's the thing guys, don't get caught up in the "inches of ice thing" You might have 10" of hard ice and walk out all happy and drill holes and spend the day on the ice but as you're walking off that 10" of hard ice will have been getting hit my sun and water runoff. It can go soft and sink under your weight. When that happens you get wet or worse. Last year 4 young guys were fishing on ice they thought was "safe enough". But when they were leaving it sunk under them and they all went in. Fortunately they were all rescued, one just barely, but it could have been tragic.

Just because there's ice, doesn't mean it's safe. If it makes you nervous at any time, trust your instincts and get off.

Yea but it is February not the end of March where what you describe can happen around here. It is the sun angle that can kill ice fast in late March.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:39 AM »
it's the end of February, and it's 60+ degrees outside here. yep, you might be lucky enough to have a few more weeks. Most of us aren't. Good luck and stay safe.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #37 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:06 AM »

I was on a lake last night it had 18" of ice, 3" of white ice and 15" of black ice! if the shore holds up we can get on for a couple
              more weeks!

IW

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #38 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:51 AM »
it's the end of February, and it's 60+ degrees outside here. yep, you might be lucky enough to have a few more weeks. Most of us aren't. Good luck and stay safe.

I understand but for 10" of ice to go bad in one afternoon, it would have to be totally honeycombed ice, not clear black ice. Still it is getting close to that time of year to be prepared, spud bar, rope, don't go alone.

Offline 2bobbersdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 25, 2017, 03:17 AM »
We drove a heavy 3/4 ton pickup on the ice a week ago last Wednesday here in South Dakota, 28" of ice. Walked out the following Saturday and by 2:00 o'clock it was honeycombed all the way through  We could drill a hole 3" deep and it immediately filled up with water. 3 days of 60 degree temps completely destroyed it. I never knew it could go that fast.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #40 on: Feb 25, 2017, 09:50 AM »
About 4 years ago late march it went from being able to drive my truck out to launching my boat on the same lake in a 7 day period. On a good note it was 10*f this morning and should have firmed the ice up nicely.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:46 PM »
About 4 years ago late march it went from being able to drive my truck out to launching my boat on the same lake in a 7 day period. On a good note it was 10*f this morning and should have firmed the ice up nicely.
just was 60 here and about 2
' of rain think we may be done

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:46 PM »

I was on a lake last night it had 18" of ice, 3" of white ice and 15" of black ice! if the shore holds up we can get on for a couple
              more weeks!

IW
sweet i think we may be done here

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 25, 2017, 04:47 PM »
We drove a heavy 3/4 ton pickup on the ice a week ago last Wednesday here in South Dakota, 28" of ice. Walked out the following Saturday and by 2:00 o'clock it was honeycombed all the way through  We could drill a hole 3" deep and it immediately filled up with water. 3 days of 60 degree temps completely destroyed it. I never knew it could go that fast.
wow that is quick i never seen it go that fast

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.