The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Looks like ice out for the whole state soon  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Icetrotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks like ice out for the whole state soon
« on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:08 PM »
Looks like we are going to be close to ice out here in the Northampton area by next weekend. I don't see the berkshires lasting two much longer. I was on pontoosuc today and there was still 14 to 13 inches of ice but some spots had almost half black half white ice. Still trucks out there and the access points were really crappie.

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Looks like ice out for the whole state soon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Half the fun today was watching the trucks "drive" around.  Any luck today?  I was on the north west end,  no flags.  I did manage to jig up a monster black crappie later in the day

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:24 PM »
There was 18 inches of ice on Burnett's Pond in Savoy last Sunday.

I'm hoping (fingers crossed) to keep ice fishing until mid-April this year, as I have done most of the last few years (although ice out was unusually early last year, closer to early-to-mid March as I recall).

Offline imaphisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:28 PM »
Walking on in the Berkshire's will be fine for a while. Went to Cheshire today, fishing was extremely slow for everyone. Unless you were were the guy in the wrecker truck that fished out the 15k skidoo out of the channel. The driver didn't get hurt. Be safe and catch more fish then we did.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:53 PM »
There will be ice to fish in the Berks for some time.  May not be the larger water but there are smaller spots with 18"...we will see what the weather does.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2017, 06:13 AM »
Fishing was slow for us on Pontoosuc. Out there for about nine hours, six flags, four perch. Weather was great though.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2017, 10:29 AM »
Walking on in the Berkshire's will be fine for a while. Went to Cheshire today, fishing was extremely slow for everyone. Unless you were were the guy in the wrecker truck that fished out the 15k skidoo out of the channel. The driver didn't get hurt. Be safe and catch more fish then we did.

I was out there too. Unusually slow day for Cheshire. Ended up with 3 bass on the traps and then a couple perch and countless gils on the jig rod. Those quads with the tracks would have been nice to have w the snow and slush that was there at the end of the day. Seeing one of those in action was a first for me. Very cool machines.
westernmas on the finder

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2017, 02:09 PM »
Was out on poontusuc for the derby, not even 1 flag! Poontu"SUC"

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Was out on poontusuc for the derby, not even 1 flag! Poontu"SUC"

Where did you post up?

Offline skit781

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2017, 04:23 PM »
Where did you post up?

I was by the island at Narragansett

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2017, 09:21 PM »
As of today/tomorrow the season in my area at least is over. Unless we get a huge cold snap in march for several weeks.

Offline Flatland

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2017, 03:50 PM »
As of today/tomorrow the season in my area at least is over. Unless we get a huge cold snap in march for several weeks.
The season here in RI never even got started! A handful of guys fished a handful of waters a few days, but 98% of our state ponds and lakes were never walkable.

Offline MassBass85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2017, 04:01 PM »
The season here in RI never even got started! A handful of guys fished a handful of waters a few days, but 98% of our state ponds and lakes were never walkable.
I managed to get 3 times total this season....all three were in the last 9 days. This season sucked.

Offline JJPSEFfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2017, 06:00 PM »
I managed about 14 trips so far of which 11 were in southeast ma, I'm not gonna complain better then last year you just have to kno where to look.

Josh

Offline ronbgood55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2017, 05:33 AM »
Boy....you guys in R.I. had it BAD :(...its no better here in the Valley (Springfield area). This is the second year it has been poor ice fishing in the northeast....and my very small micro brain has working O.T. on the problem and it has found a very good reason for the problem......We had a Warm-Up in Jan for 19 days which wiped out the ice around here ..this Warm-Up started in Calif.(L.A. area)...they had floods/mud slides etc. and then just lately they had dams break in Calif. last week and now the temp. aroung here in the northeast are breaking records ....its going to hit 65F.....When southern Calif. is hit with a storm we here in the northeast  are prime for a HOT-TIME....I'm in favor of taking up a collection or even better have TRUMP take up the collection to buy a HUGE electric fan to blow those Calif. storms north to Wash./Org. state were they belong. What do you think?????

Offline 2Dales

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2017, 06:17 AM »
Littleville had 14"+ where I was drilling on Monday. Fishing was slow with lots of smelt showing on the Vex but few takers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.