Author Topic: Deadlining for walleye  (Read 4984 times)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Deadlining for walleye
« on: Feb 18, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Does anyone have good success when deadlining for walleye whether using tip up, bobber, or jaw jacker? I was using a long shank jig with a minnow and have switched to a treble.  Don't think I've had a walleye take a swipe at any of these yet. The fact that we cannot use live bait makes it a little tougher I would think.  Thanks
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Deadlining for walleye
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:15 AM »
no luck for walleye with those methods personally.  i just use a small jig and minnow with a rod holder and bell close to my jigging line.  some days that's all they hit.

Offline sask_sloughshark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2017, 11:55 AM »
Sometimes when the bite is really good  I'll get a walleye hit my  deadline with smelt on it. It's pretty rare though.
Anyone use those wind tip ups that jig the bait for walleye?

Offline Pappy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2017, 12:12 PM »
I have fairly good success with pickerel rigs with minnows on my tip for walleye

Offline timbertomjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2017, 10:31 PM »
A drop shot tipped with minnow is deadly.

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:31 AM »
I have only ever had "really good" luck with walleye on the tip ups a handful of times in my ice fishing career.  The one day that stands out in particular was a really really active day at bittern in march the winter before last.  I was using my jaw jacker and when i use the JJ in circumstances where i am primarily targetting walleye (even with 2nd dead line) i like to use a homeade multi hook rig (think pickeral rig but i keep all the hooks inline with the main vertical line, as opposed to having hooks suspended out the side of the main line as with a pickeral rig.

I either use a setup i made with 2 jig heads attached via 25 lb flourocarbon leader material (could use less strength but i have this leader material for using with everything up to large pike and lakers and down to small 1 lb walleye have bit it). I attach one jig head at the bottom of the leader, and then about 8 to 12 inches up i attach another jig head followed by another 8 to 12 inches of leader material to a barrell swivel.  I like this for the jaw jacker as to me it seems more likely to get a hookset having the hooks right underneath the main line being snapped up by the jaw jacker.  Also like being able to place multiple baits on it to see if the fish want any bait in particular.  You could make this with extra jig heads in series if you wanted too (i believe you can have 3 hooks, maybe 4? per setup.  definitely 3 as large rapala lures have 3 sets of treble hooks and are legal).

Another setup i have been using lately is very similar however i prefer it now over my jig head setup.  I do the same thing but i put a treble on the bottom hook and place 2 "J" hooks above it, seperated by 8 to 12 inches each with a barrell swivel at the top.  for the 2 "J" hooks above the treble i use snell knots to keep the hooks for the "J" is resting vertically and inline with the main line, which i believe with the jaw jacker is a good setup for increasing odds of a hook set when trigged.  I have caught rainbows on my jaw jacker using this rig setup as well.

In regards to the day i recall at bittern... at one point when the walleye starded biting for us, both me and my buddies tip ups were outfishing us on walleye for a bit.  We eventually did catch up and out fish the tipups with out rods we were jigging but it was pretty mind blowing to us at the time lol.  I hardly ever get walleye on tip ups.  Generally i accept the belief that i am very likely not going to get much walleye action on my dead line JJ tipup and will often set it up for big pike and then i figure i got both of my bases covered.  Jigging for walleye where i feel i have a much better likely hood of actually catching them on the rod im working.  And something more attractive to a large pike on my deadline.  If its a lake like bittern (has been in the past, very active walleye population, however it seems not as hot this year?) i will like i said put the focus on both the jigging and deadline to be set for walleye.

Another thing i have done with the jig head rig occasionally is to put on a stinger hook (treble for the hook with it) and put the minno head through the J hook or Jig head hook, and then put the stinger in to the back end of the minnow.  Here is a crapty pic i whipped up quickly on the rig setups i make

gman51

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:47 AM »
a simple tip up line 20-40# easier on the hands, swivel, 10-12# floro leader, split shot, and a # 8-10 treble. i have been using this set up for years and it works. the most important thing even in our cold temps is to have your tip-up trip mechanism working smooth and with little tension as possible when the fish strikes and starts pulling line. i re-lube my tip-ups every year with blu-lube by ht. and it does a great job for the above mentioned.i have never used any flash or jigs on the business end. in the end its just another line in the water which will improve your odds no matter what you use. walleyes and most fish can see very well they really don't need any flash. i just try and make it as natural as possible. not being able to use live bait...well that's another issue.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:37 AM »
Thanks guys!!!  That is some great information.  I'm definitely going to try both of those techniques. 
Appreciate you taking the time to explain. Great learning for all.

Offline Rosco39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:15 PM »
Great info guys!!!

I used similar setup as ggpr and actually landed 2 2lb pike on my jaw jacket at same time, it was pretty neat. But have only manage 1 walleye on the jaw jacket myself. But I have only been trying a jig head and minnow. Time to try something new or old again, lol. I'm gunna go back to the drop shot method next time out.  :tipup:

Offline ggpr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:10 PM »
This is what i have been doing for targeting pike with my jaw jacker.  I also have tried it for lake trout but im not too sure about tip ups for lakers, however i still do try since your allowed the extra line but i have yet to ever catch a laker on a tip up.  I have seen videos of people catching lakers on tip ups/deadline setups but never actually done it or seen it done in person.

=200

I have been giving my jaw jacker slack line like this guy in the video does, the time in the video i set the link to start at also has good tips about how to hook your bait with that setup too, which is important for use with the jaw jacker especially.  With the slack line it in theory allows the pike to get the bait/lure in its mouth and start to run prior the jaw jacker triggering and snapping up, which should increase successful hook setting rates.

I also generally use a quick strike when targetting pike on the tip up, with the hopes of catching a big pike.  It's worth noting too that using large bait/lures doesn't seem to reduce your chance of catching small pike either, i have caught tiny pike on bait as big as 8 inches with quick strike.  In the past i also had luck with pickeral rigs for catching pike on tip ups, if i was to go that route now i would probably just stick with the rigs i mentioned and drew earlier in this thread.  Those rigs can work well for all species, and if i was thinking i had a chance at catching walleye, even on the tip up, then i would not go with the big bait and quickstrike setup.  I'm sure big walleye could/would go for something like a 8inch cisco and quickstrike with large trebles, but i am not sure about smaller (< 4 lb say) walleye so i wouldnt want to potentially limit my chances on average smaller walleye.

Offline timbertomjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:59 PM »
Like I said before. I use my jaw jacker with split shot and minnow and hammerd the eyes this evening.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:45 PM »
Like I said before. I use my jaw jacker with split shot and minnow and hammerd the eyes this evening.

Where?

Offline timbertomjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Pm sent Saskbucks

Offline rutherbefishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:48 AM »
I have a windlass tip up ( the self jigging ones that use the wind) and there are days when the tip up will be 3 or 4 to 1 on the hand held lines.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:56 PM »
I catch a few on dls   same setup as ranger  jig..prefer a slater as they have horizontal minnow presentation- and rod holder with a bell.

In decent walleye lakes they will hit it as often as pike

Offline Rosco39

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2017, 09:59 AM »
When using a dead line and an active rod, how far apart should your holes be? I haven't had much success jigging beside my dead stick. I'm usually 3ft apart. Should I be 4-6? And should it always be a different presentation? ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.