The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What do I do?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
What do I do?
« on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:31 AM »
I have a hard sided shanty out on the ice that is "sinking" down due to the weight of the snow. The skis are about an inch in white ice. I had it blocked up 4 inches at the start of the season. Should I free it up and block it up further now, or does the ice melt from the top down and it will free up when it gets warmer?

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do I do?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:09 AM »
Whoa, Dude, you've got a problem but don't worry, some of my shanties suffered similarly.  I had 6 inches of water that turned to ice inside my shanty once.  Don't count on the weather to help you out.  The ice melts from above alright, but most of the melted ice evaporates; I doubt it will bring your skis to the surface and they'll probably just sink in more as it goes.  I suggest you chip it out immediately and block it up on something that will float like blocks of wood not black milk crates like one of my friends used one year, big mistake.  This was an epidemic one year up on Magog at Eagle Point and the guys had to burn their shanties or get a $200 fine; we all stood on shore and watched a dozen burning; the ones that did get caught for leaving ashes on the ice got fines but they were a lot less. I don't recommend burning it, let's make that clear before somebody writes in, but bring a hatchet and a pry bar of some sort and something to wedge it on, take your time and you'll get it out and be able to sleep well not worrying about it popping up out by itself 'cause I don't think that will happen.  Good luck!

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:25 AM »
but bring a hatchet and a pry bar of some sort and something to wedge it on, take your time and you'll get it out

I had this happen to me a few years ago too - I'd recommend bringing a small hydraulic car jack (similar to link below) too if you have one available.  Definitely want to get it up above the ice / water as soon as possible. 

Here are some images of what I dealt with - definitely not fun, and was the last year I used a hard side.  Now I prefer the ease of a hub shelter.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=79537.msg779608#msg779608

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641760_200641760?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Automotive%20%3E%20Jacks&utm_campaign=Strongway&utm_content=46225&gclid=CLiFh6-4l9ICFQhMDQodgMIItA
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I love my hub shanty!

Offline fishhardwater2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:28 AM »
I have always found the ice grows on top...it snows then settles and pushes water atop and than freeze another layer...your shack will always need more blocking the more snow/ice that builds. This is normal maintinence to keeping a shack in one spot and I recall jacking weekly on solid winters. Get a good ice bar and chisel away to free it now then block again...more than you think it needs. To give you an idea we used to sink a 55 gallon plastic bait barrel with a hold 1/2 way and by end of winter the ice was always near the top of the barrel...been back to the spot yet? Headed to Champlain next weekend.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I have always found the ice grows on top...it snows then settles and pushes water atop and than freeze another layer...your shack will always need more blocking the more snow/ice that builds. This is normal maintinence to keeping a shack in one spot and I recall jacking weekly on solid winters. Get a good ice bar and chisel away to free it now then block again...more than you think it needs. To give you an idea we used to sink a 55 gallon plastic bait barrel with a hold 1/2 way and by end of winter the ice was always near the top of the barrel...been back to the spot yet? Headed to Champlain next weekend.

I haven't been back to the spot ;) I would like to before the end of the season. Good luck on Champlain. Fishing for pike I assume?

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:45 AM »
I have a spud bar, ax, and hydraulic jack. It shouldn't be too difficult to lift the shanty out and block it some more. Dang snow. Thanks for the help!

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:10 AM »
This winter has been a fun one for that. This is the first year I have left my shack in the same spot as its on wheels, it is now stranded on the lake due to snow cover and I am struggling to come up with a way to get it off. I was going to drive my truck out last weekend, but managed to get stuck just off the access and we have had 16 inches of snow since then. I will be building tire skis this weekend and hopefully that will help me,

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Sorry to hear the hardside woes guys. Good luck gettin' 'em freed up and off the ice. Lift with your legs, not your back!  ;D

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2017, 12:41 PM »
Like was mentioned...Car jack and a jack-all. You can rig a anchor through the ice to pull the shanty free.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2017, 01:13 PM »
Delt with this once or twice on friend's hardsides. It is never easy, best way we found was to cut holes in the floor if you can and run heaters underneath near the sides. Then we would fish all day while the heaters ran. Then get after it with an axe/ice pick/pry bar from the outside till it loosens up.

Where is it at? If my friends and I are nearby this weekend we can lend a hand.

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:30 PM »
I had the day off to fish for trout, but dealt with the shanty instead. She's free and off the ice like 6 inches now. Hopefully that lasts the rest of the season.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Great, Good learning experience.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2017, 05:28 PM »
If it happens again, I can meet you out there after work-be a lot easier with 2 of us chipping away.

Offline thefishingweatherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2017, 05:48 AM »
If you buy a pop-up shanty, you'll never have this problem again! I have an Eskimo Quickfish 2, and it takes 5 minutes to setup. Don't have to worry about it sinking, or anyone vandalizing it.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I have a pop up and a hard side, cant comfortably spend a weekend in a pop up, but I have a comfy bed in my hardside, head for ice on friday after work and leave at sundown sunday usually.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:48 AM »
I had the day off to fish for trout, but dealt with the shanty instead. She's free and off the ice like 6 inches now. Hopefully that lasts the rest of the season.

Good to hear!

I bought a portable because I can't store a hardsided, and I go fishing by myself about half of the time, so the portable is the only thing I can use, but on really windy days that would rip a portable right off the anchors a hardsided is hard to beat. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Hard to beat a hard side for sleeping in.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.