Author Topic: Lake Simcoe Fishing Advice  (Read 1114 times)

Offline Snagger Lenny

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Simcoe Fishing Advice
« on: Feb 16, 2017, 11:38 AM »
Hi all,

I have a hut booked with Floyd Hales out of Beaverton next weekend  ;D . I was just wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to perch fishing on Lake Simcoe. We're going to be on perch grounds and I'm hoping we can negotiate a shuttle out to lake trout/whitefish grounds on the saturday.

I can't wait! I'll report back our results. I'm hoping this outfitter is better than the horrible service we received from Lake Nipissing Ice Fishing Charters in January.

Offline the jigs up

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake Simcoe Fishing Advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Can't comment on Hales but should be fine. We were out from Beaverton last Saturday and did well. Lots of jumbos and no dinks. Most of the fish caught on small jigging rap and vibrato tipped with pinhead. Very light bite especially the big ones.
Born to fish...Forced to work...To pay for Fishing!!!

Offline kingPhoenix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2017, 01:45 PM »
Hi all,

I have a hut booked with Floyd Hales out of Beaverton next weekend  ;D . I was just wondering if anyone has any advice with regards to perch fishing on Lake Simcoe. We're going to be on perch grounds and I'm hoping we can negotiate a shuttle out to lake trout/whitefish grounds on the saturday.

I can't wait! I'll report back our results. I'm hoping this outfitter is better than the horrible service we received from Lake Nipissing Ice Fishing Charters in January.

Slab grabbers and jigging raps work great, stir up the bottom to bring them in.  minnows work but often catch mostly dinks.  Next week temps are looking pretty dicey not sure you will get a machine to take you out the deep water on that side of the lake.

Offline Snagger Lenny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2017, 04:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to pick some up, I don't have any of either. I messaged them about the shuttle, sounds like you're right, not enough ice and whitefish and laker grounds right now and will likely be even less by next friday.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2017, 06:29 PM »
From what I've heard both of the Hales are top notch up there in Beverton. We were out of Casey's Tuesday and Wednesday and the bite was tough but if you kept moving you got some. From everyone's reports things slowed way down from when we were there 2 weeks ago when the perch bite was insane. Getting around was a little challenging but doable if you watched where you were going. Our best bait was a Northland Forage Spoon 1/16 oz with spikes and the brother in law did well with a gold Kastmaster with spikes. Laying it on the bottom was key for the big fish. 31' best depth and we were South of Hales huts and west of Casey's and other huts. Move move move is my best advice. I'd post some pics but it's a PITA to do it here. Also we had a good 18" of ice where we were.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.