Author Topic: Which Vexilar  (Read 4312 times)

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
Which Vexilar
« on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:42 AM »
I'm going to be purchasing a vexilar soon. I mainly fish for crappie, gills, and perch, with the occasional bass and eyes. I have it narrowed down to the FL 8 or the FL 12. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I usually fish about 14-17 fow with the occasional 20-30 fow. I have a handheld now that works great, but its time to invest into a Vexilar. Any feed back on pros and cons will be considered. With that being said FL 8 or FL 12.

Thanks in advance.
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Which Vexilar
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Basically the same unit except the FL12 has a flat screen and low power ...flat screen can be difficult to see in bright light low power is great for shallow water ...cut down on the clutter.

Now I would suggest researching transducers ...lots of folks don't like the Proview...

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:22 AM »
Fl-8 is great unit. I have owned one for a very long time and still use it. But i will suggest getting the FL-18 instead of the Fl-12. Have had my currant Fl-18 for some years now and it is really good at picking up bottom hugging fish like Perch and Walleye.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Adkslabslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:25 AM »
Fl-8 is great unit. I have owned one for a very long time and still use it. But i will suggest getting the FL-18 instead of the Fl-12. Have had my currant Fl-18 for some years now and it is really good at picking up bottom hugging fish like Perch and Walleye.
× 2 ufc reel

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:34 AM »
about my 7th year on my fl-12. got the pro pack 2 and I could not be any happier with it!
battery life is great. I added an extra battery right under the head unit in front.( just slides in and fits perfectly) but have never used it for the Vex. run my lights off it. it's my first dedicated ice unit so I can't give a comparison but it is very effective. it's fast with decent separation.
I could see where zoom would be nice but for the money it's a great tool. I take care of my equipment but it doesn't get babied either, it has a lot of miles on it riding in a bucket on the front of a quad on some pretty rough stuff and never had an issue yet.
 I fish water from 12' to 40' mostly but haven't fished a lot of weeds with it and never had to get into the filter/low power cable stuff either.
good luck with your search and hope any of this could help

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:37 AM »
My experience is only with the FL- 8.
Mine is 19 years old still using the original battery. Still works like it did the first time I used it.
It helps me get on active fish.
I don't need any more than that ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:39 AM »
If you do a lot of fishing in the bottom of the water column I would checkout getting a refurbished Fl18 or Fl20. I love the zoom feature! My OCD can't handle watching my jig move "down" while I'm jigging "up" if you're in say 18ft of water in the standard 20' mode.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:48 AM »

I've fished with the fl-12 for 3 years and it's a great unit but I want to upgrade to a fl-18 because of the bottom zoom feature  as I fish in waters with a lot of weeds. :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:54 AM »
cant compare to any units as I have the fl8 bought used for the past 7 or 8 years. Love it. as long as I can see fish it works great.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:04 AM »
Between the two (fl-8 or fl-12) I would buy the fl-12 because it has the low power mode.  Having a vexilar with low power mode will be useful when fishing shallow water and fishing over weeds.  The low power mode will give you a much better site picture in those conditions.  One feature vexilar offers that I would not want to be without is the auto zoom.  Being able to zoom in on the bottom  is a game changer and the feature/mode I use the most. Therefore I would recommend the fl-18.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:13 AM »
between those 2 choices I like the screen on the fl8se better.the fl12 is hard to see in the sun.fl12 does have lp mode but you could get a fl8se with s cable cheaper than a fl12.only need lp mode in under 10ft anyways.both units are bulletproof.

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:10 AM »
I've owned the FL8, FL18, FL20 & FLX28. Each upgrade was well worth it! IMHO than

Zoom is huge as is the more colors on the 28!

If budget is tough but you can find your way to the FL18 it will probably last you a lifetime. IMHO

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 12:48 PM »
Input from Montana. I have not fished with the earlier versions, but personally own a FL-22. My brother had to one up me and he got the FL-28. I actually like mine over his. I also have heard nothing but great things about the fl-18. I can say this, that having any flasher is better than having no flasher. Don't leave home without it.

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Watch your clearance sales.I picked up a FL12 for 295 at scheels last year.great unit.

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Check with Vexilar for a refurbished model and save some money!
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline SlimShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2017, 05:02 PM »
FL-20

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2017, 06:44 AM »
Fl 18 bottom zoom works great and they are bullet proof, had mine for many years.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2017, 07:26 AM »
12 over 8.   18 over 12.   the only benefit the 12 has over the 18 is the large flat screen.  i know a lot of older guys like the larger screen.  but the 18 does have zoom. 

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2017, 07:46 AM »
12 over 8.   18 over 12.   the only benefit the 12 has over the 18 is the large flat screen.  i know a lot of older guys like the larger screen.  but the 18 does have zoom.
I am an older guy who likes his 12. Zoom probably helps see fish but fishing skills catch fish. I do not need more fish than I can already catch in a day. Usually a limit.  Icehole, only you know your confidence/skill level. Once a marked fish gets closer to my lure all my senses attune to the rod in hand. If fishing the very bottom and can't see fish all senses again are on the rod-in-hand. As in anything practice,practice,practice.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:58 AM »
dont think anyone has mentioned depth. Not sure about the other vex's but the fl18 goes very deep....i think mine goes 300ft if im not mistaken. All vex models are different as far as depth

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
dont think anyone has mentioned depth. Not sure about the other vex's but the fl18 goes very deep....i think mine goes 300ft if im not mistaken. All vex models are different as far as depth

My fl-18 only goes to 200

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Last year I converted my Humminbird Helix 5 for ice fishing.  It works pretty well.  Last week my wife and I went out to Devils Lake so I bought her a FL8 on the way out.  Day 1 we went with a guide and he provided two FL18s which worked well as we hammered walleye (believe it or not in 4 feet of water).  The next day we were in a rental house in 25' FOW and between FL8, an FL12 and Lowrance graph, I could not adjust interference out of my Helix and ended up renting a FLX28 from Woodland resort.  I was very impressed and loved the zoom.  Used it the next day in 45FOW and learned to appreciate zoom even more.  On the way back home I exchanged the FL8 for an FL18 due to low power option without having to buy the S cable and zoom feature.  Believe I will be very happy with the FL18 whereas, having seen the zoom feature, I would not have been happy with the FL8.  That said I wasn't hard core enough to pop for the extra $220 to jump from the 18 to the 28.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:18 PM »
I am an older guy who likes his 12. Zoom probably helps see fish but fishing skills catch fish. I do not need more fish than I can already catch in a day. Usually a limit.  Icehole, only you know your confidence/skill level. Once a marked fish gets closer to my lure all my senses attune to the rod in hand. If fishing the very bottom and can't see fish all senses again are on the rod-in-hand. As in anything practice,practice,practice.

an older fishing buddy wanted a flasher.  at the time the lx5 was basically the cadillac.  so we got him one.  he really liked it except for 2 problems.  small screen and the marcums blink where the vexilars blend.  when fish were lighting up the screen on a marcum, they blink a little. very subtle but enough to drive him nuts.  we sold it and i got him a fl12.  he loves that thing.  he only fishes <15' so no zoom is needed. 

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:48 AM »
My first flasher was a fl20 had it for 10 plus years, also owned a fl8,2 fl 18s, 3 showdowns(junk), 6 lx3tcs(old one was good had 5 fail and sent back on warranty, sold it when I got the 5th one back) on my second helix 5 which has been sent back, bought this f'ing thing early january and have not used it, after a few hours its says transducer not connected and it goes into simulation mode! I also just sold my fl20 and fl8 and got a flx28(awesome unit!!!)  I would get the 8 over the 12, vex's flat screen is no good outside
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline IceholeHEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:42 PM »
After reviewing all the comments and re researching the Vexilar, I'm going with the Fl-18. I do however, appreciate all the insight into this post. Thanks to all
To catch them all…you gotta catch them small

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:46 PM »
 ;D I like my fl-12 also but hoping to upgrade to the fl-18 by next ice season :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.