Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel

Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors

Visit MarCum
Sep 19, 2017, 10:24 AM
Enter the iceshanty Ice Fishing Picture Contest. Win a Jawjacker, Custom Jigs and Spins lures and Team Iceshanty ball cap!
Click here to enter

Author Topic: Which Vexilar  (Read 1089 times)

bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac

• keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Which Vexilar
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
dont think anyone has mentioned depth. Not sure about the other vex's but the fl18 goes very deep....i think mine goes 300ft if im not mistaken. All vex models are different as far as depth

My fl-18 only goes to 200

T-Hawker

• IceShanty Rookie

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Last year I converted my Humminbird Helix 5 for ice fishing.  It works pretty well.  Last week my wife and I went out to Devils Lake so I bought her a FL8 on the way out.  Day 1 we went with a guide and he provided two FL18s which worked well as we hammered walleye (believe it or not in 4 feet of water).  The next day we were in a rental house in 25' FOW and between FL8, an FL12 and Lowrance graph, I could not adjust interference out of my Helix and ended up renting a FLX28 from Woodland resort.  I was very impressed and loved the zoom.  Used it the next day in 45FOW and learned to appreciate zoom even more.  On the way back home I exchanged the FL8 for an FL18 due to low power option without having to buy the S cable and zoom feature.  Believe I will be very happy with the FL18 whereas, having seen the zoom feature, I would not have been happy with the FL8.  That said I wasn't hard core enough to pop for the extra $220 to jump from the 18 to the 28.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac

« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:18 PM »
I am an older guy who likes his 12. Zoom probably helps see fish but fishing skills catch fish. I do not need more fish than I can already catch in a day. Usually a limit.  Icehole, only you know your confidence/skill level. Once a marked fish gets closer to my lure all my senses attune to the rod in hand. If fishing the very bottom and can't see fish all senses again are on the rod-in-hand. As in anything practice,practice,practice.

an older fishing buddy wanted a flasher.  at the time the lx5 was basically the cadillac.  so we got him one.  he really liked it except for 2 problems.  small screen and the marcums blink where the vexilars blend.  when fish were lighting up the screen on a marcum, they blink a little. very subtle but enough to drive him nuts.  we sold it and i got him a fl12.  he loves that thing.  he only fishes <15' so no zoom is needed. 
Clam Nitinol Spring Bobbers are Junk - Don't Buy

carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2017, 07:48 AM »
My first flasher was a fl20 had it for 10 plus years, also owned a fl8,2 fl 18s, 3 showdowns(junk), 6 lx3tcs(old one was good had 5 fail and sent back on warranty, sold it when I got the 5th one back) on my second helix 5 which has been sent back, bought this f'ing thing early january and have not used it, after a few hours its says transducer not connected and it goes into simulation mode! I also just sold my fl20 and fl8 and got a flx28(awesome unit!!!)  I would get the 8 over the 12, vex's flat screen is no good outside
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

IceholeHEN

• IceShanty Rookie

• SLAY and FILLET
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2017, 12:42 PM »
After reviewing all the comments and re researching the Vexilar, I'm going with the Fl-18. I do however, appreciate all the insight into this post. Thanks to all

iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2017, 01:46 PM »
 ;D I like my fl-12 also but hoping to upgrade to the fl-18 by next ice season :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Cabelas | CJS | PolarBird AcmeTackle
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved