Author Topic: Lock jaw crappies  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Fish4days

• IceShanty Rookie
Lock jaw crappies
« on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:05 PM »
I've been fishing a local reservoir for crappie all winter with limited success. Some days I'll do ok, but most days I just can't get them to bite. The fish are suspended in 28' of water and I get a lot of lookers on my flasher, but doesn't seem to matter what I throw at them they just don't want to open their mouths. Any ideas on unlocking their jaws. ???

Offline oldbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • usmc 1972-1976
Re: Lock jaw crappies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:09 PM »
One word. Perseverance

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:33 PM »
Should add your location to your profile . Also there may be a go to bait if you identify the waterway your fishing .What is your set up and go to baits ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Fish4days

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:03 PM »
Should add your location to your profile . Also there may be a go to bait if you identify the waterway your fishing .What is your set up and go to baits ?
I'm in central WI near Stevens Point. Set up 2 deadsticks with minnows and jig with jigging rap, small spoons with wax worms or minnow head, tungsten with plastic. Had some success with all but no consistency.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:15 PM »
Go small. Try tear drop jigs tipped with spikes.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Boomer.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I have a similar issue.  On early ice, I was pulling 20+ crappies through the ice in a night but for the last couple weeks they have been very picky.  I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at them.  I see them rise aggressively and then dart away.  Plastics, live bait, spoons, jigs, small, big, rattle, glow....everything!
Fishing in the Slabbin’ cabin!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 09:51 PM »
When they charge up are you stopping your jig?  Try making them chase the jig and tipping it with spikes, waxies, or even golden or butter worms. 

Offline Boomer.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:40 PM »
When they charge up are you stopping your jig?  Try making them chase the jig and tipping it with spikes, waxies, or even golden or butter worms.

I have tried both...I stop and watch for the bite and then I have tried jigging through the charge.  I do tip with spikes and waxies but I haven't tried golden/butter worms.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2017, 07:06 AM »
Are you using 2 Lb. test line?

Offline IceMonsters

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team New York
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:00 AM »
For the evenings try fatheads on a #2C Gold Swedish pimple, 2# line in 5-10' of water near humps or weedbeds. Any structure really. The bite turned off in my area as well. Come 5:30-6:00pm though I find the structures in the shallows. Thats where i figured out they were hanging out. Consistency isnt the issue. Its feeding them when they are hungry and hunting the shallows. Thats my insight. But what works for me may not work for someone else. Good luck!

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2017, 12:59 PM »
This is what has made a big difference to me lately. I use fatheads with a small hook and no sinker at all. It seems like it takes forever to get them down to the crappie and sometimes they'll swim outside of the flasher cone and you lose site of them. But it must be the look of the bait swimming a little bit more naturally makes a difference. I'd be curious to know if any of you guys try this if it helps...made a big difference to me when they're finicky. Many times you can see them reacting to the bait fish long before it gets to them.

Offline Boomer.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:14 PM »
Are you using 2 Lb. test line?

No, I think I have a #4 fluorocarbon leader...I'll try downsizing.  Thanks for the insight.

Offline VORK23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:36 PM »
My go to for picky crappies are small tungsten and spikes

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:17 PM »
go a bit shallower, maybe some transition close by. sometimes they just go out and "chill" in the deeper water while feeding close by up more from the "hole". wont see as many but they are probably going to make your spring bobber jump a bit.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2017, 03:49 AM »
Are you using an ultra-light rod or a spring bobber?  At the one lake I fish they hit so light you don't feel it, just see the rod tip or spring bobber dip down slightly.

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2017, 02:32 PM »
My go to for picky crappies are small tungsten and spikes

Same here, try smaller.
If that don't work chartreuse octopus hook with a small shiner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.