Author Topic: Getting to the ice dilemna  (Read 786 times)

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
Getting to the ice dilemna
« on: Feb 15, 2017, 11:52 AM »
Hey guys, about a week ago it got really warm and rained a lot here in SE Idaho. When that happened we still had about 2 feet of ice. Well all the reservoirs around me and particularly the one I always go to have about 3 feet from the shore to the ice that still looks decent and then maybe another couple feet till where the ice looks really thick. Anyone have any good ideas of testing the ice and or getting out to the good ice besides a boat(since I don't have one)? And no fish is worth trying to die for.....except maybe Mr. Limpet cause he was a talking fish and would probably be worth a lot of money. Or should I just hang up the ice fishing stuff and start preparing for hunting season?

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Getting to the ice dilemna
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I know guys that fish one lake in the state that fills over the winter and always has bad shore ice use planks to get on the ice, if the plank goes through while you are still in the shallows than you know you have to short of a plank or the ice is not safe enough to get on. I would at least have a life preserver on just in case but I also have my striker suit to help float in the off chance I cannot walk a straight line either. Hope this helps some. 

Offline dickerson_jared

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:18 PM »
Aluminum extension ladder. It's not uncommon on flood control lake to have to cross a few feet of open water to get on ice. Some guys use a plank but if a ladder is available it is the more stable option.
"Yeah, well, listen Dr. D*pcrap - you've obviously never been ice fishing before.
No, I haven't.
Well it's f*cking exhilarating."
-Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:24 PM »
Aluminum extension ladder. It's not uncommon on flood control lake to have to cross a few feet of open water to get on ice. Some guys use a plank but if a ladder is available it is the more stable option.

X2 (slides down more compact and lighter than the equivalent lank boards)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Agreed on the ladder and the PFD!

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:30 PM »
"planking" out with a 2x8 or ladder is rather common around here. For me, no way. The latest I went out, the ice was melted a couple feet from shore and I just wore rubber boots. I'd wait the extra week or two and come back with the boat. If its going to be as warm there as it is here, Ice off should be very soon.
-Tom

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:47 PM »
If you walk out on a plank, hope the guy what brung it don't take it home before you come off.
If you bring a plank, hope someone doesn't need it more than you..........
Both instances will result in a wet foot, trust me.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 01:24 PM »
KEEP ONE THING IN MIND...... just because your plank was long enough to get you out on the ice in the Morning....doesn't mean it's going to be long enough to get you OFF the ice in the late afternoon !!!  That shoreline is going to be melting all day long if the temps are high !!!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2017, 02:55 PM »
If you walk out on a plank, hope the guy what brung it don't take it home before you come off.
If you bring a plank, hope someone doesn't need it more than you..........
Both instances will result in a wet foot, trust me.

When I use a plank to get on, I take it with me wherever I go..

Might have to get off the ice in a different spot too..

<°)))>{

Offline Kobey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:08 PM »
When I use a plank to get on, I take it with me wherever I go..

Might have to get off the ice in a different spot too..

<°)))>{

Yeah, I do too.  It's kind of funny looking back during the day and seeing people standing on the bank wondering how I got out there.  Then it becomes unfunny because I usually feel sorry for them and go back with my plank to help them get on.

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2017, 05:17 PM »
You don't mind going for a little swim do you?  :)

Here in VT, Planks and ladders are common in the late season when the rocks on shore begin to get warmed by the strengthening spring sun, melting the ice.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.