The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Long lake traverse city  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Midmichigan jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Long lake traverse city
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Hello everyone I am new to board my family and I are heading up to long lake for weekend ice fishing trip. Plans are to either fish long lake or lake leelanau just wondering how the fishing is on those 2 lakes. And what is best lures to use? I mainly fish saginaw bay for perch and walleyes so use mostly do jiggers. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jdgambler2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Long lake traverse city
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2017, 04:51 AM »
there are a couple guys on here that fish those lakes . I never have . walleyes in both. I'll be up also this weekend on big platte.
I'd rather be fishing than sleeping

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:21 PM »
there are a couple guys on here that fish those lakes . I never have . walleyes in both. I'll be up also this weekend on big platte.
Well good luck to you on your trip.

Offline kdog70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:07 PM »
I have fished long lake about 8 times this year..I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. I have never iced a keeper walleye, I have caught at least a dozen short ones each trip. Occasional a few keeper perch but very random sometimes 1 sometimes 6/7 in the 8+ inch range.. So maybe I'm not the best to give advice but with that disclaimer, Fish are random for me some trips minnows on tip ups, spoons and jigging raps with or without minnow heads. Tungsten jig with one inch gulp minnow when fish have been finicky. I have tried sporadicly other plastics, wax worms, wrigglers but nothing worked better than above.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:18 AM »
I have fished long lake about 8 times this year..I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. I have never iced a keeper walleye, I have caught at least a dozen short ones each trip. Occasional a few keeper perch but very random sometimes 1 sometimes 6/7 in the 8+ inch range.. So maybe I'm not the best to give advice but with that disclaimer, Fish are random for me some trips minnows on tip ups, spoons and jigging raps with or without minnow heads. Tungsten jig with one inch gulp minnow when fish have been finicky. I have tried sporadicly other plastics, wax worms, wrigglers but nothing worked better than above.
Thanks for the info I have had that same luck many years on the Bay. Just doesn't seem to matter what I did while buddies are 30 yds from me and hammer the fish. I am hoping that at very least we have some fun. But catching fish makes every trip fun.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:19 AM »
have you ever fished lake leelanau? That is another option this weekend

Offline kdog70

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2017, 03:43 PM »
No, I was going to try it in the morning but a co worker said its a few miles to the "fishing grounds" from the launch and I'm only on foot so might try little traverse lake for perch tomorrow morning

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:41 PM »
No, I was going to try it in the morning but a co worker said its a few miles to the "fishing grounds" from the launch and I'm only on foot so might try little traverse lake for perch tomorrow morning
[/quote
Awesome yeah we will be hooking as well good luck to you sir appreciate the help

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.