Author Topic: Tip-Up build  (Read 3472 times)

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-Up build
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 02:28 PM »
New to the site and just wanted to share my tip-up build.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-Up build
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 02:46 PM »
Those are really nice!  Nice work!  How does the trigger work? and what are the oval shaped things?
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Ovals = handles?

Nicely done - close ups of the trigger please!
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2017, 03:15 PM »
Thanks, im guessing the ovals your talking about is the alarm system, it goes off when the flag is triggered. I will take some close up pictures when i get home.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2017, 10:49 PM »
Thanks for the trigger pics - I really appreciate the precision used in the assembly of the parts, they look identical.  The budget pricing also helped me with an on-sale purchase of a similar item.  If I like it, I'll try building a couple using your s as a model.

Cheers!
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Similar to HT Ice Rigger, I'm also curious how the flag trips when roach clip is raised.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2017, 10:38 PM »
Similar to HT Ice Rigger, I'm also curious how the flag trips when roach clip is raised.

Are those the same as the "long stem hemostats" used in fly fishing?  Did Hiram share a "Roach Rigger"?  He should trade mark it soon.

Hiram:
Rod/reel cost aside - please add the cost/info for the alarm (the other oval thing I missed) and if you could, detail it's use - I'm not familiar with alarms, just flags.

Did you modify the T at all for the flag trip?  I may have missed it, can you point it out.

Thanks again
Sprocket

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2017, 04:38 AM »
I will be out on the ice today trying them out again, I will get a video of the flag tripping and any other info you guys need.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Following   :tipup:

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2017, 03:09 PM »
Well fishing was crap today but it sure was a great day either way.

The alarms are ridiculously cheap. Paid I think less than $10 for ten of them on eBay. First time using them today and I could hear them good from pretty far away, but it was a beautiful day with no wind.

I did modify the trip Just by using a chainsaw file on the bottom for the flag pole to sit.

Will try to get a YouTube video soon

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2017, 03:37 PM »
Thank you Sir - these types of post are very valuable to the community - the home-build stuff, for me, are particularly good.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2017, 02:11 AM »

The alarms are ridiculously cheap. Paid I think less than $10 for ten of them on eBay. First time using them today and I could hear them good from pretty far away, but it was a beautiful day with no wind.

I did modify the trip Just by using a chainsaw file on the bottom for the flag pole to sit.

:tipup:  Looking forward to watching it..

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:48 AM »
I thought you would need to cut a semicircle out of the Tee to get the flag to trip, but your method seems a bit more subtle. Did you file a small groove? Not sure how that would let the flag trip.

Also, I don't see the alarms in the pics(I've been known to miss a few details on occasion, though.  ;D)

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2017, 01:37 PM »
I thought you would need to cut a semicircle out of the Tee to get the flag to trip, but your method seems a bit more subtle. Did you file a small groove? Not sure how that would let the flag trip.

Also, I don't see the alarms in the pics(I've been known to miss a few details on occasion, though.  ;D)
He uses the window alarms.. Which he painted black.  (located next to flag spring and below rod)

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2017, 07:05 PM »
Ok guys bare with me on the videos, i was using my phone and this is a first and only take. Hope it helps let me know if you would like to see anything else.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2017, 07:57 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup:  Ty for the videos

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2017, 10:13 AM »
Your welcome, hope they helped some.

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2017, 04:43 PM »
So do you leave the rod bail open while using these or just set the drag really light.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2017, 05:24 PM »
For these types you would leave the bail open for a spin cast reel because you don't want to adjusting the drag on a bite. For a baitcaster you leave the spool disengaged, but you'll want to adjust the free spool drag so it doesn't spin so fast you get a rats nest.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2017, 11:35 PM »
Great design thanks for sharing!!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Hiram

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2017, 12:13 PM »
Ya pretty much what he said, Im going to replace these reels i think, but for now i just leave the drag lose. These reels were cheap i had to take them apart and do some modifying so the drag would spool smoothly and they work much better, but might replace with baitcasters at some point.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.